Gutless 2.5 tdi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Gutless 2.5 tdi

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-15-2013, 03:37 AM   #1
bort999

Gutless 2.5 tdi

hi folks,
I have uk grand cherokee laredo 2.5 turbo diesel.

I realise this isn't a racing car, but the lump is really gutless - 0-60 in a minute or so.....!

I know there's a wee leak in turbo oil drain line gasket - would this cause the turbo to be inoperable? I have a spare gasket, but can i get to the two screws without taking the whole turbo off????.... can I feck....!

To confuse things, ever couple of weeks or so, I get 'proper' acceleration, like I'd anticipate...problem is, only lasts a few minutes max. then back to gutless....

If that wee leak wouldn't cause it, then any other suggestions greatly appreciated - can't see fuel supply problems - changed fuel filter...lines all look ok - not leaking anyway.....

Had a wee read of posts here - first other thoughts were air flow module/TPS/injector problem.....

Your advice and thoughts greatly appreciated.

PS - the need for speed isnt highest on my priorities and would just put up with it, if it didn't work 'properly' every so often - tjust o remind me of what I'm missing!!!!!

bort999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:15 AM   #2
MadderThanMax

As its a Tdi take the EGR valve off and clean in carb cleaner until spotless and reinstall. Next take the plug off the MAFF(if it has one) and see if it runs any better - if it does then your MAF is shot.. also grab some Forte Diesel cleaner off Ebay and run, cleaning out yer injection system and top side.. Report back and see how you go ;-)
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
CarlJH
2003 WJ 

lack of boost can be the pressure/temp sensor on top the inlet manifold or sticking waste gate on turbo
try the UK site Birtydastards much better chance of finding help on the VM diesels
CarlJH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
bort999

cheers mtm,
have tried disconnecting the MAF- no change in performance.
Have thrown a few bottles of proprietary cleaner - redex type stuff for deisels in, no change.
The vaccuum line to the EGR wasn't connected when i got it - have replaced the tubing, which was shot. The diaphragm seems to move freely (when poked), but no idea if it works under normal conditions....but will take the EGR off and give it a bit of a scrub to see if any change.

Any other suggestions whilst I'm at it?

Cheers

Bort
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
MadderThanMax

Can you check for Diesel pressure it does sound like a faulty pump.. Taking the EGR of will do no harm and make it a little more peppy and economical.. so please continue. Lubricate the plunger with 3in1 an make sure that its not stuck..Any other symptoms other than gutless? like smell of exhaust in cabin or something like that..?
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
bort999

No smells of exhaust in cabin, but did notice the wee vacuum line to the EGR doesnt have an awfy big sook - not enough to move the diaphragm anyway. maybe an issue?
Unread 06-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

They never put the 2.5td in the WJ so you might get a after response in the right section.
Unread 06-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
bort999

you're absolutely right alfaitalia, i'm in the wrong place (albeit the people in here have been very friendly witrh some useful and helpful suggestions! ;-) ). do you know how to get admin to move this thread over to the zj section please?
Unread 06-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
MadderThanMax

Bummer... means I can't help there ... :-(
Unread 06-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
bort999

the problem with using the wrong consonant! but joking aside - thanks mdm for your advice - just realised today i dont have the right size funky star screwdriver socket to take the efr valve off. A trip into the big smoke (inverness) beckons.....scary, all those people crushed into such a small space - hyperventilating already!....). cleaned all oil out of pipes today - still now wow factor! MAF looked (visually at least) like it was ok (at least it was all in there and not hanging off in bits..). Hoping I can find a solution - off to Ireland this summer and although I got a couple of diff oil changes to do and basic service before I go, this is the only outstanding issue. even read the codes today - 55 - that's all. so all ok as far as I know, just the acceleration to sort (oh, and the fact its got a radio cassette - how do I use that then eh????? ;-)
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
4Tom
2001 WJ 

The VM 2.5 TD is basically the same engine as the VM 3.1 TD with the latter having a extra cylinder.

ERG valve vacuum hose is brittle and the rubber plug on ERG perish with age. Probably why it was disconnected.

But I'm thinking you have fuel problem or turbo issue. Fuel would be easiest place to start if you can borrow a gauge to measure the fuel pressure.

I'll kept my eye out for UK reg ZJ driving slowly then suddenly accelerating on the Irish roads. Hope you get it sorted so you can enjoy your trip.

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 02:55 AM   #12
Robertc2012
2001 WJ 

Sounds like the problem I had with the 3.1.
Not sure if yours has the ECM (engine control module)
Do a scan tool check for problem codes, more than likely its slipping in and out of limp mode.
The EGR can be blanked if you are looking for a problem in that area, alternatively bad sensors.
The oil pressure sensor is usually the culprit.
As I said not familiar with the model apart from the VM engine.

Extra Note: If you are picking up any code it will mean that the ECM will receive a DTC which will isolate the engine ancillaries, thus limp mode.
Robertc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.