Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit? - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #121
Jeepers21
2004 WJ 

I'm very interested in this kit. I was told that it is "inferior" to IRO and Clayton's long arm kits and that parts were not reliable. But the person did not mention in which ways it was "inferior." The only thing I can think of that would be weak might be the X-flex joints??? RC says they are rebuild able which to me sounds like a plus. I know they can be replaced with jonny joints also. I'm really having a hard time believing that this kit is inferior.
I know that RC, in the past had the reputation of being a cheap lift kit and quality was substandard to other higher priced kits. Someone a long time ago told me: "having a rough country lift kit is like sleeping with a fat chick; sure it's fun to ride, but you don't want to be seen with it."

I really think Rough Country has changed over the years. I'm depending on this kit to be a solid lift. I can't afford the IRO or Clayton long arms. I like that the RC kit is complete (rear long arms) where this is another $1000 through IRO.

My plan/hopes were to get the RC kit (minus the springs) and go with some 6" springs from another kit. Any thoughts on if this can be done?

Jeepers21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #122
adavis39
2002 WJ 

i dont believe the RC arms are adjustable enough to run 6'' springs......as in they are not long enough. I guess you could do it, but RC did not design them for 6'' according to the feed back ive seen
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #123
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39
i dont believe the RC arms are adjustable enough to run 6'' springs......as in they are not long enough. I guess you could do it, but RC did not design them for 6'' according to the feed back ive seen
I asked a rep on there online chat thing and he told me that they were adjustable to up to 6 inches of lift I would call and ask just to be sure though.
Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #124
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

The long arms are most definitely long enough for 6". I'm running the kit as is, at 4" and pretty much all of the arms are adjusted all the way in. The uppers on the front radius arms are the only ones that are not threaded all the way in and I still have plenty of room for adjustment on those. All the joints are rebuildable but honestly, they seem beefy enough to last quite awhile. I'm not worried about about the longevity of this kit whatsoever.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #125
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
The long arms are most definitely long enough for 6". I'm running the kit as is, at 4" and pretty much all of the arms are adjusted all the way in. The uppers on the front radius arms are the only ones that are not threaded all the way in and I still have plenty of room for adjustment on those. All the joints are rebuildable but honestly, they seem beefy enough to last quite awhile. I'm not worried about about the longevity of this kit whatsoever.
thats good to know....i heard from someone running it that they wouldnt really work for 6'' springs....oh well, i wonder why they dont offer them then?
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #126
SKI_VT
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post
thats good to know....i heard from someone running it that they wouldnt really work for 6'' springs....oh well, i wonder why they dont offer them then?
I just went and asked the online Chat help (josh)
and they said that it can be used up to 6" lift

He said no higher than 6"
Unread 01-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #127
Roger005
2004 WJ 

Is anyone running this setup with IRO coils? I compared the free lengths of the two coils and the IRO coils are over two inches taller than the Rough Country. That is what I am considering doing along with IRO trackbar. I was just wondering what the difference would be, or if the IRO coils will offer more lift height than 4". Any thoughts?

Front IRO= 18.75"
Front RC= 16.18"
Roger005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #128
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger005 View Post
Is anyone running this setup with IRO coils? I compared the free lengths of the two coils and the IRO coils are over two inches taller than the Rough Country. That is what I am considering doing along with IRO trackbar. I was just wondering what the difference would be, or if the IRO coils will offer more lift height than 4". Any thoughts?

Front IRO= 18.75"
Front RC= 16.18"
What lift height are your coils supposed to be? Free length doesn't matter without spring rate. If the IRO coils are softer than RC's (probably), then they'll compress further with weight on them.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #129
Jeepers21
2004 WJ 

Good to know on the 6". Thanks guys. I was looking at the IRO critical path kit, and (don't bash me) from the pictures, it didn't look like the arms were any different from the 4" kit to the 6" kit. Just the springs.
I'm really starting to lean more towards the RC kit. When i have the coin saved up, I think I'm going to have to get it. Did anyone use their JF discount when they bought it from RC?
Jeepers21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #130
oaklyjeep10
2002 WJ 

I'm running this kit w RC 4" and 2" bb. I'm wanting to put taller springs and trash the spacers, how do I know how much to adjust everything? And what springs would you guys recommend?
RCLAs | IRO 6.5" springs| Nitto Trail Grapplers 35s | Smitty built 8000 | Custom front Bumper | Complete sound system 2 12s | BTF cover and truss (rear) | Custom sliders | Flashpaq [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/dhalls-build-1508292/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/dhalls-build-1508292/[/URL]
oaklyjeep10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #131
cangus
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers21 View Post
Good to know on the 6". Thanks guys. I was looking at the IRO critical path kit, and (don't bash me) from the pictures, it didn't look like the arms were any different from the 4" kit to the 6" kit. Just the springs.
I'm really starting to lean more towards the RC kit. When i have the coin saved up, I think I'm going to have to get it. Did anyone use their JF discount when they bought it from RC?
I tried to apply the JF discount and didn't have any luck
cangus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #132
MWyatt
1999 WJ 

Can someone explain the set up in the rear? Why is it the stock "short" a-arm with lower long arms? Doesnt the shorter a-arm limit the long arms on the bottom? Whats the point?

Thanks
MWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #133
cangus
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWyatt View Post
Can someone explain the set up in the rear? Why is it the stock "short" a-arm with lower long arms? Doesnt the shorter a-arm limit the long arms on the bottom? Whats the point?

Thanks
The RC 4" long arm kit comes with the upper as well.
cangus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #134
MWyatt
1999 WJ 

But the RC rear upper is the same length as the stock a-arm right? It's the same just adjustable compared to long rear uppers like clayton upper arms or the IRO long a-arm. Or am I mistaken?
MWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #135
soupy688
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers21
Go to the vendors section. And contact bobby from ccor he will give you a jf discount. I'm ordering my long arm kit on Friday. Good luck
2002 Overland. Rough country Long arm kit with BB on top. Bilstein 5100 front 5125 rears Pro Comp RockCrawler Wheels, 315/75/16 Duratracs. Overland Sliders bedlined, Halfed Bumper painted black with 100w fog lights, HID's. Rola roof rack. Hitch mounted spare tire carrier under construction.
soupy688 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rc , rc longarm , rough country , rough country long arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.