Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit? - Page 32 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit?

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 05-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #466
Frosty619
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnison View Post
Up-date, the attached photo is rolling the GC out of the shop after the install a few weeks ago. I drove it around my mountain community for a week at speeds under 45mph. To recap my install I went form stock up-country with new 245/75/16 BFG AT to the RC LA up grade kit with Clayton's 4.5" springs and Bilstien 5100 shocks. I also installed all new Moog TRE (tire rod ends), and JKS track bar, and new Ranch steering stabilizer. Under the front to accommodate the new winch and bumper weight I added a 3/4" spacer. The ride of the Clayton spring and Bilsteins is excellent, even the wife is happy! I made my first trip to Denver via I70 last week and on the first bridge abutment DEATH WOOBLE at 60mph....3 times! I have owned 11 Jeep, 7 lifted with this same front end and have NEVER experienced DW. I drove straight to 4 wheel parts for an alignment and to discuss DW. My garage alignment was about 6.5 degrees positive caster which falls in the middle of the spec. My toe was set to 1/4" IN. The alignment tech said he averages 5-8 DW alignments a week. We dialed in the minimum caster and then at his suggestion set the Toe in at maximum OUT instead of IN. He also said my narrow 245/75 BFG AT load range 'E" should be swapped out for wide and lower load rates. He explained more width gives more surface scrub (Toe) and soft load range allows the tire to absorb more of the road shock.

Also I have not been able to dial out the rear drive shaft vibration yet, Need to work on this some more this week.

So the with the new alignment and original 245 tires a test drive over the same bridges didn't get DW but on one of them it was 'almost' . So I think I will sell the 245's and go for something wider. Does any one know if a 265/75/16 tire will fit in the OEM spare tire spot under the rear carpet cargo area?
Let us know if you can fix the DW issue. I'm looking at doing almost the exact same set up you did...all the same companies....even looking at the same front bumper. With the extra spacer in the front, is the front sill lower than the rear or is it even?

Frosty619 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #467
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJjoe View Post
i dont know if this question has been asked before but since the RC long arm kit dosent come with a T-case drop spacer, do you have to get a different rear drive shaft or a slip yoke eliminator, or can the angle be adjusted to keep it from vibrating?
According to RC tech, their crossmember drops the t-case 1 inch.
I need to go out and try and measure mine to verify..

With the stock double cardan rear, you should point the pinion straight at the driveshaft, and that "should" eliminate the vibes.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #468
CommanderWJ
2001 WJ 

I just finished reading through this whole tread and was very impressed with the wealth of knowledge offered! Hopefully I will one day be able to upgrade to LA's and with all the info found here be able to dial them in just right!
2001 WJ 4.7 V8 Ltd QD. 2" Rough Country BB, TF QD's, Rough Country shocks, BDS Adjustable front UCA's, RC 2.2 steering damper, 245-70R17 Firestone Destination muds/ 245-75R17 Wrangler A/T's on Moab's, Flat Land non-winch steel bumper, rear sway bar removed, Power Brake matched disc and pad set. More to come!
CommanderWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #469
Gunnison
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty619 View Post
Let us know if you can fix the DW issue. I'm looking at doing almost the exact same set up you did...all the same companies....even looking at the same front bumper. With the extra spacer in the front, is the front sill lower than the rear or is it even?
Since the alignment no death wobble, but a few time I really felt it in the steering wheel when hitting pot holes or other rough stuff, but it never happened again. I lowered my front tires to about 31psi from the 36 I had. I think I will order the IRO second steering stabilizer to see it that helps. I have NOT gone to the wider tires as the BFG that are one it have only about 2-3000 miles on them.

I havent measured the front to rear lift yet but it looks level with the winch and bumper installed
img_0736-comp.jpg  

Previous Jeeps: 57 Willys, 74 J-10, 76 J-20, 80 CJ7, 91 XJ, 97 ZJ, 97 TJ, 00 TJ, 06 LJ Rubicon, 2010 JK Rubicon 4dr.
Gunnison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #470
holydiver89
2004 WJ 

For you guys that have installed this 4" long arm kit, the picture on their website does not show a drop down pitman arm, does the kit come with one or is it not required on long arms?
holydiver89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 02:11 AM   #471
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holydiver89
For you guys that have installed this 4" long arm kit, the picture on their website does not show a drop down pitman arm, does the kit come with one or is it not required on long arms?
I'm wondering this as well. Right before I purchased the long arm upgrade kit, I purchased the drop pitman arm and track bar drop bracket. I have the jks adjustable bar already installed but some said a drop pitman and drop trackbar bracket would help with some of the geometry. I now have the long arm upgrade kit waiting to go in but still have the drop pitman arm and track bar drop bracket. Should I install all of it?? Or just the long arms. The only reason I ask is because a few guys on here run long arms and the iro steering equalizer kit which performs the same function as my drop pitman and drop track bar bracket. Thanks fellas
Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #472
texlurch
2002 WJ 

At 4.5 inch, you don't need the drop pitman or brackets, but you are pretty much at the limit of the stock rod ends.
The IRO equalizer will barely clear at 4.5; it works fine at 6 inches.

I added the 3/4 spacers to the front yesterday. Sits almost level now, and seems like the minor bump steer I had is gone now as well.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #473
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch
At 4.5 inch, you don't need the drop pitman or brackets, but you are pretty much at the limit of the stock rod ends.
The IRO equalizer will barely clear at 4.5; it works fine at 6 inches.

I added the 3/4 spacers to the front yesterday. Sits almost level now, and seems like the minor bump steer I had is gone now as well.
Would it still be ok if I installed it? the drop bracket and drop pitman are the ones from rough country.
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #474
fast540
1999 WJ 

I wouldn't
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #475
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast540
I wouldn't
Can you expand on why not?
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #476
fast540
1999 WJ 

The normal pitman arm and track bar (adjustable) provide better geometry
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #477
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo24 View Post

Can you expand on why not?
Many have had issues with the RC drop bracket not being strong enough and there are other issues that you get into with the drop pitman.. Steering box stress. IRO makes a kit for those over 4" of lift that is better because the drop bracket has reinforcement on the other side of the fender. You will still have the steering box issues with the drop pitman though..

Look at the one from IRO and it should be obvious.
brouwmat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #478
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat

Many have had issues with the RC drop bracket not being strong enough and there are other issues that you get into with the drop pitman.. Steering box stress. IRO makes a kit for those over 4" of lift that is better because the drop bracket has reinforcement on the other side of the fender. You will still have the steering box issues with the drop pitman though..

Look at the one from IRO and it should be obvious.
Hmm. I think it will probably be strong enough. And yes I have seen the iro one which is nice but also way more then I got the RC one for haha. If the only issue is it not being "strong enough" I might give it a try. I don't wheel super hard so it should probably be fine. Any other issues anyone knows about.
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #479
Killallblue
2002 WJ 

Well here is some pics after a few months of beating on it

Killallblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #480
Frosty619
2003 WJ 

Killallblue- What size tires do you run? It looks like they hit the front under full stuff.
03' WJ, V8 Limited, Front & Rear IRO 4" Long arm(with front 3/4 spacers), tummy tuck cross member, transfercase skid, Bilstein 5100, Superchips, JKS discos, JK wheels (1 1/4 spacers), 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's, Moog TRE's & HD SS, Hellwig rear sway bar, 3" Flowmaster 50, Kolak rear exhaust pipe, cabin filter kit, IRO sliders.
Frosty619 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rc , rc longarm , rough country , rough country long arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.