Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit? - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #451
aleet25
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch
Dumb question maybe, but why are you posting in the RC LA thread about your IRO 3 in lift?

And if you plan to drive that over bumps or turn the wheel much, you'll be trimming quite a bit off both ends of both wheelwells.
Agreed. I'm certain they have a thread entitled "IRO 3" Lift Kit Install". Wrong company and wrong kit for this thread.

aleet25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #452
1BADCJ8
1982 CJ8 

For christ sakes boys I wont post on your precious thread any more... Are you really that tore up about it? Like I said I only posted it... Oh never mind!

There I went and deleted it... Do you little fellers feel better now? I don't want to ruffle your feathers...
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #453
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADCJ8 View Post
For christ sakes boys I wont post on your precious thread any more... Are you really that tore up about it? Like I said I only posted it... Oh never mind!

There I went and deleted it... Do you little fellers feel better now? I don't want to ruffle your feathers...
Well, lets see.. this is the WJ "tech" forum

Topics for the most part stay on track, so if someone searching for info, on say, the "new" Rough Country long arm lift kit, could get info on that..

Since most don't bother to go back to the first post and scroll thru, they happen upon the last page or so, and find a pic and info of a 3 in IRO lift and wonder "damn, that RCLA sure doesn't lift the Dub much?"

I actually had to go back a couple pages to figure out you didn't have the RC kit, and that's what made me wonder why you were posting in THIS particular thread..

Just a courtesy to fellow and future forum members to try and keep the various threads on topic...

Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #454
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Back on topic...

I ran into my first real disappointment with this kit over the weekend. Ive had the kit installed since November-ish, and finally had a chance to get up to Silver Lake sand dunes in Michigan. Seemed like every bump I hit on the sand, big or small, I was slamming down into my bumpstops. I was not discoed and was hitting the bumpstops so hard it tweaked my axle side sway bar mounts. I would assume had I been discoed, I would have been hitting the bumpstops even harder.

The ride quality in the sand was just terrible and rather disappointing. This kit rides great on the street but I think the springs are too soft for the harsher terrain of sand. To add further suspicion to the springs being too soft, I took my 100# steel bumper off and threw it in the cargo area (needs paint among some other minor adjustments) and it alone made my rear driver side sag down to 21" and passenger side sag down to 22". Stock height is 19 in the rear so that equals 2" worth of sag on the drivers side and 1" worth of sag on the passenger side. With only 100# worth of cargo. I dont think I would even attempt to tow anything with these springs.

As a comparison, I rode along in my buddies 2013 Rubicon. His is lifted 6 inches with 35's. Not sure what lift manufacture, but I do know he has Bilstien 5160s. Night and day difference. He was able to hit the same hills and bumps that were slamming me around twice as fast and we were just floating right over them.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #455
texlurch
2002 WJ 

I noticed a distinct difference in ride with mine disco'd, but I have the bigger Addco bar in front.
I also have the 6.5 IOR springs & Bilsteins
The front bar is stiff enough to lift the rear tire off the ground when I get it crossed up.

You are the second person that mentioned the RC springs sagging.
The RC shocks aren't any good either.
I also imagine with that heavy bumper you probably lost an inch of lift on the front, so that could contribute to hitting the bumpstops.
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #456
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
I noticed a distinct difference in ride with mine disco'd, but I have the bigger Addco bar in front.
I also have the 6.5 IOR springs & Bilsteins
The front bar is stiff enough to lift the rear tire off the ground when I get it crossed up.

You are the second person that mentioned the RC springs sagging.
The RC shocks aren't any good either.
I also imagine with that heavy bumper you probably lost an inch of lift on the front, so that could contribute to hitting the bumpstops.
I lost about a half inch across the front with the bumper installed. But as hard as I was hitting the bumpstops, even an extra 3" probably would not have made a difference. Had I been running an addco bar upfront, it probably would have ripped the mounts right off the axle. They are already tweaked pretty good.

I am debating just stepping up to 6" coils since the cost between 6" and 4" is negligible when just talking about coils and shocks. I am also thinking about 4.5" clayton coils. I dont really have the money for anything right now though

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #457
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Hit Kolak up for a spring recommendation. I don't recall but I read somewhere who had "good or bad" springs.

But the shock should slow down the axle some.. that is what it is there for.
They may just be too soft as well.
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #458
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Hey guys/gals..

Started a pic only thread.. go show off your RCLA equipped WJ's and please make a note of your specs!!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/w.../#post15456144
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #459
berndog67
2003 WJ 

yeah i think the springs and shocks are too soft as well, i had about 100 lbs or so of tools and spare parts when i went out this weekend, and it was sitting lower in the rear by at least an inch or inch and a half even, with it disco'd in the front only i was bouncing all over on all the trails, now on the street this thing rides better than new, but def way too soft shocks for offroad and the spring rates are too low for sure, but otherwise this long arm kit was awesome last weekend, between that, airing down the 32" Kenda Klever MT's and the vari-loks mysteriously started working in the rear, it made it up and over 90% of what the jeep buggies in our club did, so i was def impressed with the flex and capabilitly it has now, but ground clearance is def an issue, i already scratched every single piece on the long arm kit, so looks like ill be grabbing some iro 6.5 coils and shocks soon to fix that, then ill be looking for 35's next for even more clearance
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #460
ezflip

2002 WJ 

I have now taken everything back to the way it was when I first installed this kit in November. Which means nothing but the lift. In november, I was at 22.5" all the way around. Now, the front sits at 21.5 and the rear sits 21. With nothing in it and nothing else installed, it has already sagged a full inch in the front and inch and a half in the rear. In only 6 months. I think I am going to call RC in the next few days and see if they will refund me a bit on the springs so I can get some that wont sag so bad.

Build Thread
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #461
aestrad1
2000 WJ 

How are the arms holding up?

Im planning on running the RC arms with Claytion Coils and Blstein 5100s
aestrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #462
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

I finally ordered this up
Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #463
Gunnison
2002 WJ 

Up-date, the attached photo is rolling the GC out of the shop after the install a few weeks ago. I drove it around my mountain community for a week at speeds under 45mph. To recap my install I went form stock up-country with new 245/75/16 BFG AT to the RC LA up grade kit with Clayton's 4.5" springs and Bilstien 5100 shocks. I also installed all new Moog TRE (tire rod ends), and JKS track bar, and new Ranch steering stabilizer. Under the front to accommodate the new winch and bumper weight I added a 3/4" spacer. The ride of the Clayton spring and Bilsteins is excellent, even the wife is happy! I made my first trip to Denver via I70 last week and on the first bridge abutment DEATH WOOBLE at 60mph....3 times! I have owned 11 Jeep, 7 lifted with this same front end and have NEVER experienced DW. I drove straight to 4 wheel parts for an alignment and to discuss DW. My garage alignment was about 6.5 degrees positive caster which falls in the middle of the spec. My toe was set to 1/4" IN. The alignment tech said he averages 5-8 DW alignments a week. We dialed in the minimum caster and then at his suggestion set the Toe in at maximum OUT instead of IN. He also said my narrow 245/75 BFG AT load range 'E" should be swapped out for wide and lower load rates. He explained more width gives more surface scrub (Toe) and soft load range allows the tire to absorb more of the road shock.

Also I have not been able to dial out the rear drive shaft vibration yet, Need to work on this some more this week.

So the with the new alignment and original 245 tires a test drive over the same bridges didn't get DW but on one of them it was 'almost' . So I think I will sell the 245's and go for something wider. Does any one know if a 265/75/16 tire will fit in the OEM spare tire spot under the rear carpet cargo area?
img_0705-2.jpg  

Previous Jeeps: 57 Willys, 74 J-10, 76 J-20, 80 CJ7, 91 XJ, 97 ZJ, 97 TJ, 00 TJ, 06 LJ Rubicon, 2010 JK Rubicon 4dr.
Gunnison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #464
Pedro7
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnison View Post
Does any one know if a 265/75/16 tire will fit in the OEM spare tire spot under the rear carpet cargo area?
Nope, didn't on mine.
Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #465
WJjoe
2000 WJ 

i dont know if this question has been asked before but since the RC long arm kit dosent come with a T-case drop spacer, do you have to get a different rear drive shaft or a slip yoke eliminator, or can the angle be adjusted to keep it from vibrating?
WJjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rc , rc longarm , rough country , rough country long arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.