Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit? - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #406
texlurch
2002 WJ 

gunnison, what does that Protofab weigh?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #407
Gunnison
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
gunnison, what does that Protofab weigh?
According to Protofab it is 110lbs. My bathroom scale registered 113lbs. the winch will add about another 80lbs so I will be pushing 200lbs all said and done lights, paint, and fair-lead. I hope the suspension handles it well and it doesn't fell nose heavy.

Previous Jeeps: 57 Willys, 74 J-10, 76 J-20, 80 CJ7, 91 XJ, 97 ZJ, 97 TJ, 00 TJ, 06 LJ Rubicon, 2010 JK Rubicon 4dr.
Gunnison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #408
texlurch
2002 WJ 

yowsa!
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #409
1BADCJ8
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnison View Post
Ok, the bumper showed up 6 weeks after ordering it.
Did it really take that long? I would have given up and got my dough. I hate waiting that long for something I have paid for.
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #410
Pedro7
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADCJ8 View Post
Did it really take that long? I would have given up and got my dough. I hate waiting that long for something I have paid for.
Mine took 8 weeks.... I figure that since its new it would take a while. regardless there really isn't anything else like this on the market so it's worth it
Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #411
Gunnison
2002 WJ 

Installed the rear arm mounts yesterday, I decided to not cut the muffler out to get the 3rd bolt which I couldn't get to because of the big Magnaflow muffler, so I stitch welded the rear arms after bolting. The front springs, shock and arms are installed. Tonight will install the 4 new TRE, JKS trackbar and SS. Then on the the rear another evening this week, before starting on the bumper.
rc-lift-1-comp.jpg

Previous Jeeps: 57 Willys, 74 J-10, 76 J-20, 80 CJ7, 91 XJ, 97 ZJ, 97 TJ, 00 TJ, 06 LJ Rubicon, 2010 JK Rubicon 4dr.
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #412
Gunnison
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro7 View Post
Mine took 8 weeks.... I figure that since its new it would take a while. regardless there really isn't anything else like this on the market so it's worth it
Pedro7 you gotta photo of the Protofab bumper and any advice on modifying the front inner clip to clear the bumper ends?

And yes it truly took 6 weeks to get the dang thing delivered!

Unread 04-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #413
Pedro7
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnison View Post
Pedro7 you gotta photo of the Protofab bumper and any advice on modifying the front inner clip to clear the bumper ends?

And yes it truly took 6 weeks to get the dang thing delivered!
Ill let you know when I install it with pics Still waiting on some of the hardware to be sent to me.
Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #414
aleet25
2003 WJ 

For the past month I've been trying to figure out why my WJ has been driving like complete a$$ since installing my lift. I've torqued and re-torqued all my bolts and checked all my other components, but couldn't find anything. Last week I developed a "popping" sound from the front end. Well today I finally figured out what the problem was. First of all, my bolts were over-tightened, they stripped out, and were no longer holding tight. And secondly, my drivers side lower control arm was on upside down!! It was putting the drivers side in a bind. It took me almost 2 hrs to get the bolts out and switch them out. Now it rises like a Cadillac! Who knew that and upside down control arm would cause such a bad ride?!
aleet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #415
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleet25 View Post
For the past month I've been trying to figure out why my WJ has been driving like complete a$$ since installing my lift. I've torqued and re-torqued all my bolts and checked all my other components, but couldn't find anything. Last week I developed a "popping" sound from the front end. Well today I finally figured out what the problem was. First of all, my bolts were over-tightened, they stripped out, and were no longer holding tight. And secondly, my drivers side lower control arm was on upside down!! It was putting the drivers side in a bind. It took me almost 2 hrs to get the bolts out and switch them out. Now it rises like a Cadillac! Who knew that and upside down control arm would cause such a bad ride?!
Im curious as to how you installed the upper arm if the lower arm was upside down?

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #416
aleet25
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip

Im curious as to how you installed the upper arm if the lower arm was upside down?
Did I say the lower arm? I meant the upper arm. My bad.
aleet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #417
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleet25 View Post
Did I say the lower arm? I meant the upper arm. My bad.
Ok, that makes much more sense lol.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #418
Gunnison
2002 WJ 

Questions for those that have already installed.

1) rear emergency brake cables don't seam to have enough slack in them after setting this back on the ground to allow articulation without damaging the cables. I have all the lines re-installed in the new A-arm mount. Any thoughts

2) Rear sway bar extension blocks (about 2" tall) have installed. This leaves the sway bar nearly vertical and will only allow about 1" inch of up-travel before it would limit any further movement. It looks like I will need to cut the sway bar links and extend them to the proper length as the spacer block is about 2 inches and the Clayton springs are 4.5" which are supposedly only 1/2 taller than the RC.

3) rear shock relocater brackets installed moves the shock inward and only about a 1/4" inch form the sway bar bolt and looks like it could hit the shock during off-camber articulation. So I removed the shock relocation bracket and put the shock back in their original locations which comfortable clears the sway bar bolts. I don't see any other interference problems so I am wondering why RC uses the relocater brackets at all.

Unread 05-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #419
berndog67
2003 WJ 

not sure on point one, but point two is covered in a fairly recent thread that deals with how to figure out the length of end links needed to get them back to the right angle, ill post the link if i can find the bookmark, and point three with the relocation brackets its more to clear the tires than the end links, my tires rub the shock slightly, so i mounted them to the inside of the shock mount, similar to the rc relocation brackets and i dont have any clearance issues with the end links at any time , besides most disco the rear as well so its not an interference issue in articulation situations either
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #420
texlurch
2002 WJ 

I thought the same about the rear brake lines, but even at 6.5 inch it isn't an issue.

I just got longer rear swaybar links and didn't use the spacer blocks.

Tags
rc , rc longarm , rough country , rough country long arm

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.