Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit? - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #346
sandfreestyle
2004 WJ 

What I ran into with my RC discos is that the shank of the bolt is smaller than the hole in the swaybar so if you ever happen to get it loose then it makes noise. Just my personal experience though.

04 WJ V8 HO, 545rfe w/ shift kit, NP231HD w/ SS SYE, TW drive shafts, 4" RCX, 255/75/17 moabs, 55w HID projectors, Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler, Superchips, bored TB, HD Tie rod and Drag Link, IRO Steering Equalizer, Dual steering stabalizers, Homemade Sliders, 4 Hella FF75 55w HID Light bar...

“The corpse’s crimson bitter tears flow and mingle through the endless sand feeding the chaos in me and making me stronger”
sandfreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #347
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklyjeep10 View Post
Ok guys, quick question. I want to put 6.5" springs in, how do I know how much to adjust everything?
Just play with the lower arms until your axles are where you want them, then adjust the uppers accordingly to get a happy medium between caster and pinion angles.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #348
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Dude, 6.5" is over rated. Go for custom 8" springs.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #349
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestrad1 View Post
Looking at the route as well. What did you do about sway bar discos?
Discos for the front and spacers for the back come with the LA upgrade; I have the IRO 6.5 springs, Bilsteins and the RC LA kit.
The LA upgrade kit does NOT include an adjustable trackbar, so make sure you get one!

I went with the IRO rear swaybar links instead. I am also using the high clearance IRO crossmember and xfer case skid. So far looks like it will all go together the way I planned. Should have the rear half done tomorrow, and I'll take some pics once I clean up the cuts. My plasma cutter took a crap so I had to break out the torch...
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #350
oaklyjeep10
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip

Just play with the lower arms until your axles are where you want them, then adjust the uppers accordingly to get a happy medium between caster and pinion angles.
So basically just eyeball it? Is is normal that I can barely clear 32s when I have 4" springs and 2" spacers? I'm thinkin maybe the springs are sagging or something, idk maybe it's just me lol.
RCLAs | IRO 6.5" springs| Nitto Trail Grapplers 35s | Smitty built 8000 | Custom front Bumper | Complete sound system 2 12s | BTF cover and truss (rear) | Custom sliders | Flashpaq [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/dhalls-build-1508292/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/dhalls-build-1508292/[/URL]
oaklyjeep10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #351
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Just a few more pennies and ill be ordering my RC long arm kit. Yay!! I have the 4 inch springs and 2 inch pucks in also. I'm definitely gonna order some other 6 inch springs when I go for it though. I've seem to notice in the year and a half I've had this lift that the RC springs are sagging also.
Jaketit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #352
Gunnison
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestrad1 View Post
Looking at the route as well. What did you do about sway bar discos?
After having two Rubicons with the electric dico disconnect I got spoiled. My current TJ is running the Currie Anti Rock and am loving it. So I am not real excited about going back to convention disco, so that made me decide to not up-grade to the JKS just yet and will use the RC ones that come with the kit.

Once I have the front bumper off to install the new winch bumper I will take a hard look at things and see if there is any way to modify and fabricate a Rubicon electric disco or maybe another anti rock. If too complicated we will see how the RC ones work and go from there.

Previous Jeeps: 57 Willys, 74 J-10, 76 J-20, 80 CJ7, 91 XJ, 97 ZJ, 97 TJ, 00 TJ, 06 LJ Rubicon, 2010 JK Rubicon 4dr.
Gunnison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #353
Gunnison
2002 WJ 

Quote:
So basically just eyeball it? Is is normal that I can barely clear 32s when I have 4" springs and 2" spacers? I'm thinkin maybe the springs are sagging or something, idk maybe it's just me lol.
Use a tape measure to center the axle in the wheel well as well as your eyeball. you could be off enough from side to side that your eyeball may not pick it up and that can enough to cause long term tire wear (if the axle is no tracking straight) and some handling issues.

This why it is important to set the control arms (both front lowers, both front uppers as a set) from side to side at the same measurement.

Once all completed a 4 wheel alignment with a competent alignment tech that understands your adjustable control arms can double check your work and dial thing in if needed.

Previous Jeeps: 57 Willys, 74 J-10, 76 J-20, 80 CJ7, 91 XJ, 97 ZJ, 97 TJ, 00 TJ, 06 LJ Rubicon, 2010 JK Rubicon 4dr.
Gunnison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #354
oaklyjeep10
2002 WJ 

Yea I got that. I didn't know if there was a certain length to adjust the arms depending on how much lift was added. Thanks.
RCLAs | IRO 6.5" springs| Nitto Trail Grapplers 35s | Smitty built 8000 | Custom front Bumper | Complete sound system 2 12s | BTF cover and truss (rear) | Custom sliders | Flashpaq [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/dhalls-build-1508292/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/dhalls-build-1508292/[/URL]
Unread 03-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #355
oaklyjeep10
2002 WJ 

Is there a warranty on their springs or is it just the shocks?
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #356
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Yea I got that. I didn't know if there was a certain length to adjust the arms depending on how much lift was added. Thanks.
I added 1/4 inch to all the suggested lengths, and that isn't enough.
Got the rear done and it's TALL
Tomorrow I am working on getting the pinion angle set, and the wheels centered, and the rear truss welded on.
My springs are visibly not vertical, as well as the tires aren't centered.
I would say add at least 3/4 inch to the recommended settings if you are going 6 inch. There is plenty of adjustment available.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #357
oaklyjeep10
2002 WJ 

My springs must have nearly 2" of sag then bc mine is adjusted to what the instructions say lol and everything lines up mui bueno.
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #358
aleet25
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnison

Use a tape measure to center the axle in the wheel well as well as your eyeball. you could be off enough from side to side that your eyeball may not pick it up and that can enough to cause long term tire wear (if the axle is no tracking straight) and some handling issues.

This why it is important to set the control arms (both front lowers, both front uppers as a set) from side to side at the same measurement.

Once all completed a 4 wheel alignment with a competent alignment tech that understands your adjustable control arms can double check your work and dial thing in if needed.
When I did mine this way I was told that you don't want your axle centered in the wheel wells. Your front axle needs to be favoring towards the rear and the rear favoring towards the front. Not too much though, just not exactly centered. When you flex your axles naturally gravitate to the center when they are pushed up. If your axle is already centered your tires will rub the wells prematurely.
aleet25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #359
aleet25
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklyjeep10

And I'd say that's not normal. You should easily clear 32's on 6" of lift.
aleet25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #360
SKI_VT
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleet25

And I'd say that's not normal. You should easily clear 32's on 6" of lift.
X2 I clear 32's and I only have a BB lol

Tags
rc , rc longarm , rough country , rough country long arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.