Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit? - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #301
berndog67
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
One thing I dislike about this kit is the crossmember design.

Been studying on it

Decided to cut the control arm mounts off, and use the new IROR high clearance x-member instead, along with a hack and tap SYE on the 242HD. I'll run some weld on the brackets so they can't move when the x-member is out.
It will still drop the xfer case about 1/4 inch (the thickness of the RC LA brackets) but will gain 1-3/4" clearance under the x-member. And make it removeable without dropping the lower front arms.

Plus put the front output back to a closer to stock angle

I'll take pics and notes along the way. Thinking I can mod and reuse the stock x-fer case skid, and use the RC skid up front under the oil pan.
ever since i saw there high clearance x member i have thought the same thing, i know im getting the RC long arm kit in a week or two and was thinking of doing the high clearance x member later this year in addition to making some more skids, so will def want to see what u come up with

2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #302
texlurch
2002 WJ 

And just an FYI, the RC crossmember drops the xfer case 1 inch. Not sure how much lower it actually hangs compared to the stocker. I know the RC xfercase skid hangs down a good bit.

I had the same thoughts way back when I did my RC lift on my truck. I hate those drop torsion bar xmembers.
I found a company called Real lifts that made dog bones to relocate your torsion bars back up to stock...
Lost count of the number of people asking me what body lift I have since that xmember is in the stock location, not hanging down 2 inches!
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #303
=KZ=
2000 WJ 

I have heard a few on here comment that the long arm kit improves the ride of their WJ. I was wondering in what way it is improved.

A friend owns a Mercedes G wagon which comes with a factory long arm setup and one huge difference I have noted is that when going over rough terrain at mild speeds the suspension seems to "eat up" bumps without transferring too much bumpiness to the chassis. So there isn't the tendency to get thrown around so much. does this long arm kit make similar ride characteristics off road?
=KZ= is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #304
texlurch
2002 WJ 

The longer the arm, the more parallel it is to the ground, so suspension inputs are sent up the springs, versus control arms to body.

Especially on a short arm lift, at say 4 inches, those stock, short control arms are pointing up at a pretty steep angle, and transmit quite a bit of suspension shock to the chassis.

Not to mention the average WJ has 100K miles on it, so you are replacing old hard bushings, worn springs and shocks, with new parts that move quite a bit easier.

Unread 03-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #305
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
And just an FYI, the RC crossmember drops the xfer case 1 inch. Not sure how much lower it actually hangs compared to the stocker. I know the RC xfercase skid hangs down a good bit.

I had the same thoughts way back when I did my RC lift on my truck. I hate those drop torsion bar xmembers.
I found a company called Real lifts that made dog bones to relocate your torsion bars back up to stock...
Lost count of the number of people asking me what body lift I have since that xmember is in the stock location, not hanging down 2 inches!
Umm, no it doesn't. It keeps it exactly where it is stock. And the skid doesn't hang any lower than the stock transfer case skid.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #306
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Umm, no it doesn't. It keeps it exactly where it is stock. And the skid doesn't hang any lower than the stock transfer case skid.
Really? I just asked RC tech about it and the 1 inch drop is what they told me.

Thats a good thing if it doesn't drop the tranny any!

If thats the case I can just add some tabs to the RC crossmember and make it removeable.

Sure looks like it hangs lower than stock in the pics, and most lifts at 4 and above do drop the xfer case.
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #307
aleet25
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip

X2. The transfer case stays exactly where it is. The new cross member has the same dimensions as the stock one. The new one just has the LA mounts.
aleet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #308
Roger005
2004 WJ 

Finally got the wheels and tires mounted up..still have to wait until next week for the alignment. I like the way it looks.
20130302_180202.jpg  
Roger005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #309
kaktus
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice looking jeep. GOOD JOB!
kaktus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #310
Roger005
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaktus View Post
Very nice looking jeep. GOOD JOB!
Thank you! Its been one hell of an adventure..and its still not over.
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #311
soupy688
2002 WJ 

I'm glad mine is done too. I was so beat from crawling around under the jeep drilling holes and such. It's a nice kit and am happy with the results. As far as the crossmember and skid. I didn't notice it hanging any lower than stock. I think the xfer case is lowered but with the design of the crossmember it is not noticeable. And whoever asked about the length of my arms I added only an inch and a half to the directions recommended length but had to tweak them a bit. Ill get an actual measurement if needed. And here are some level shots. I have lots of room in the wheel wells but still can't decide on a tire size. I'm running 265-75-16 and they look small but stuff like mad. Haha.
image-3350480788.jpg   image-2293257078.jpg   image-2502620231.jpg   image-940918632.jpg  
2002 Overland. Rough country Long arm kit with BB on top. Bilstein 5100 front 5125 rears Pro Comp RockCrawler Wheels, 315/75/16 Duratracs. Overland Sliders bedlined, Halfed Bumper painted black with 100w fog lights, HID's. Rola roof rack. Hitch mounted spare tire carrier under construction.
soupy688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #312
Roger005
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy688 View Post
I'm glad mine is done too. I was so beat from crawling around under the jeep drilling holes and such. It's a nice kit and am happy with the results. As far as the crossmember and skid. I didn't notice it hanging any lower than stock. I think the xfer case is lowered but with the design of the crossmember it is not noticeable. And whoever asked about the length of my arms I added only an inch and a half to the directions recommended length but had to tweak them a bit. Ill get an actual measurement if needed. And here are some level shots. I have lots of room in the wheel wells but still can't decide on a tire size. I'm running 265-75-16 and they look small but stuff like mad. Haha.
I like the way those tires look. Plus it will keep the weight down. If you go to a bigger size your probably going to get stuck with a load range E. I don't think it looks bad at all. Very nice Jeep!
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #313
tommyooooooh
2002 WJ 

Hey soupy what size bump stops are you running.

I don't understand how I seem to be the only one to have had a problem with the brake line and abs line getting pinched between frame and control arms (where upper and lower arm bolt together). The abs line cut got straight in half. Clean cut though just hope my brake line doesn't get cut in half.
tommyooooooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #314
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
Hey soupy what size bump stops are you running.

I don't understand how I seem to be the only one to have had a problem with the brake line and abs line getting pinched between frame and control arms (where upper and lower arm bolt together). The abs line cut got straight in half. Clean cut though just hope my brake line doesn't get cut in half.
Did you ever post a pic of this? If you routed them correctly, I just don't see how this is even possible.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #315
tommyooooooh
2002 WJ 

no went to take a pic today but my camera/iphone broke. Ill post some up Tomorrow. Hopefully I just routed them wrong and its a simple solution. I just don't see anything in directions on where to reroute them. Only thing I see about brake is Added the extension on the axle.
tommyooooooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rc , rc longarm , rough country , rough country long arm

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.