Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit? - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 02-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #196
Roger005
2004 WJ 

So I should probably go with like 4.5 to 5* ya think?

Roger005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #197
WJlover
1999 WJ 

so how well liked is this kit?
im trying to find the best bang for my buck (a small buck) and if this kits good i might consider a cheaper RC kit.
WJlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #198
aleet25
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip

Darrell is kind of an idiot. Ive talked to him a few times and now I ask for someone else when I call haha.

My caster is set at 4.1 right now, but im going to raise it to 5 - 5.5. Steering is just a little bit sloppy right now. Before I got my alignment right after install it was at like 9 and was super tight, just had lots of driveline vibes.
You're right. Darrell is an idiot. I called and talked to two different guys just to make sure and they both said that the shocks are only designed for the 4" lift.

To the guys that have installed this lift themselves...how hard is it? I really want to spend the weekend doing it, but everybody tells me I'm crazy when they see the instructions. It says 6-8 hrs. Is that about right?
aleet25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #199
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleet25 View Post
You're right. Darrell is an idiot. I called and talked to two different guys just to make sure and they both said that the shocks are only designed for the 4" lift.

To the guys that have installed this lift themselves...how hard is it? I really want to spend the weekend doing it, but everybody tells me I'm crazy when they see the instructions. It says 6-8 hrs. Is that about right?
It took me 36 working hours over the course of 2 weekends. But I ran into a lot of problems. If everything goes smoothly, you should be able to do it 10-12. 6-8 is really generous.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #200
aleet25
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip

It took me 36 working hours over the course of 2 weekends. But I ran into a lot of problems. If everything goes smoothly, you should be able to do it 10-12. 6-8 is really generous.
36 hrs!?! Good grief! This is my DD. I can't afford to be down that long! The lift gets here tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to get all the joints put together by Friday afternoon and get started on the whole process and get it finished Saturday.
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #201
Roger005
2004 WJ 

My caster is set at 4.1 right now, but im going to raise it to 5 - 5.5. Steering is just a little bit sloppy right now. Before I got my alignment right after install it was at like 9 and was super tight, just had lots of driveline vibes.[/QUOTE]

The guy from RC told me to get as close to 7 degrees as I can?
Roger005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #202
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger005 View Post
My caster is set at 4.1 right now, but im going to raise it to 5 - 5.5. Steering is just a little bit sloppy right now. Before I got my alignment right after install it was at like 9 and was super tight, just had lots of driveline vibes.
The guy from RC told me to get as close to 7 degrees as I can?[/QUOTE]

It should be as close to factory spec as possible without getting driveline vibes. IIRC factory spec is around 6-7.5. Or something like that.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

Unread 02-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #203
tommyooooooh
2002 WJ 

so i have the 4 " rc long arm lift and have a question. Has any one had a problem with the front upper control arm hitting the front brake line. It looks like its gonna get pinched against the frame by the upper control arms right where it mounts to the lower control arm.
I haven't had a chance t take it out because 4 front bump stop bolt heads broke and the drivers side rear bump stop broke. The rust sucks.

And has anyone had problems with front springs falling out?
tommyooooooh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #204
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
so i have the 4 " rc long arm lift and have a question. Has any one had a problem with the front upper control arm hitting the front brake line. It looks like its gonna get pinched against the frame by the upper control arms right where it mounts to the lower control arm.
I haven't had a chance t take it out because 4 front bump stop bolt heads broke and the drivers side rear bump stop broke. The rust sucks.

And has anyone had problems with front springs falling out?
Reroute it in between the Y....upper and lower arms.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #205
tommyooooooh
2002 WJ 

between Y wouldn't that cause it to get ripped out by the arm during down travel? or am i misunderstanding what you mean.
Unread 02-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #206
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
between Y wouldn't that cause it to get ripped out by the arm during down travel? or am i misunderstanding what you mean.
In between the lower long arm and short upper arm...those two are fixed points....they move together.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #207
tommyooooooh
2002 WJ 

itll just pop out unless its zip tied. It looks like the mount on the lower arm where the upper arm connects will hit the brake line right at the bracket where the rubber line meets the hardline. page 3 and 4 have pictures of the control arm and brake line bracket. maybe I'm just over thinking it but doesn't look to good for the brake line to me.
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #208
aleet25
2003 WJ 

Got my kit in the mail today and had a local shop put all the joints together for me. Install begins tomorrow afternoon! T-minus 20 hrs!!
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #209
aleet25
2003 WJ 

Quick question guys. What were y'all's lengths on your control arms? Did you go by RC's instructions?
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #210
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleet25 View Post
Quick question guys. What were y'all's lengths on your control arms? Did you go by RC's instructions?
I set mine according to the instructions. The only ones I needed to change during alignment were the front uppers. Everything else ended up just about perfect.

Build Thread

Tags
rc , rc longarm , rough country , rough country long arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.