Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit? - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Guinea pig new RC Long Arm kit?

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Reply
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #181
kaktus
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 107
So let me get this straight.... If I get this lift kit and I decide its not big enough for me I can just put in 6" coils or I could even add BB on top of the RC springs and it will work? I'm sure adding the coils is a better route if your out wheel'N. I just want to make sure if I drop $1500 I won't be stuck with a 4" lift.

kaktus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #182
aleet25
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Auburn, Georgia
Posts: 230
I ordered mine this morning. I can't wait for it to get here Weds so I can get it installed on Sat!
aleet25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #183
Timbo24
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaktus
So let me get this straight.... If I get this lift kit and I decide its not big enough for me I can just put in 6" coils or I could even add BB on top of the RC springs and it will work? I'm sure adding the coils is a better route if your out wheel'N. I just want to make sure if I drop $1500 I won't be stuck with a 4" lift.
I think you would need new shocks as well.
Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #184
kaktus
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo24 View Post
I think you would need new shocks as well.
I would need new shocks if I put 6" springs in.. Can anyone confirm this? What are the shocks that come with the RC 4" lifted rated for? Only a max of a 4" lift? If I did a BB I would sacrifice not being able to flex without the springs coming out but on the plus side I would not need new shocks. Hrmmm.....
kaktus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #185
texlurch
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lake George, CO
Posts: 1,252
You'll need new shocks. The RC ones are for 4.5 lift, and if you top them out you'll blow them.
__________________
Just another old fart in a Jeep... watchout younguns!!!
RC LA, IRO 6 in springs, OTK, Bilsteins, Aussie, Eaton, RCV's, 242-SYE, hidden winch, JCR Stage 3, skidded and trussed & sleeved
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #186
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI
 
ezflip's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaktus View Post
I would need new shocks if I put 6" springs in.. Can anyone confirm this? What are the shocks that come with the RC 4" lifted rated for? Only a max of a 4" lift? If I did a BB I would sacrifice not being able to flex without the springs coming out but on the plus side I would not need new shocks. Hrmmm.....
Shocks dont exactly have a wide range they can be run at. The RC shocks are designed for their 4" lift. Any deviation from that will destroy them fairly quickly. You will most definitely need shocks designed for a 6" lift if you go with 6" coils. Everything else in the RC will work just fine after being properly adjusted.
__________________
~James

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series


Build Thread


The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway is here!!
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #187
kaktus
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Shocks dont exactly have a wide range they can be run at. The RC shocks are designed for their 4" lift. Any deviation from that will destroy them fairly quickly. You will most definitely need shocks designed for a 6" lift if you go with 6" coils. Everything else in the RC will work just fine after being properly adjusted.

Okay any input is welcome. Instead of buying the RC 4" long arm suspension kit. I'm just going to buy the RC 4" long arm upgrade kit. Then add 6" inch coils along with bilstien 5100 shocks made for a 6" lift along with a adjustable track bar? Will I need anything else? The upgrade kits looks complete just its missing shocks, springs, and track bar. Is this correct?

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-wj-...rm-upgrade.php

Thanks everyone
kaktus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #188
Roger005
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Trenton, MI
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaktus View Post
Okay any input is welcome. Instead of buying the RC 4" long arm suspension kit. I'm just going to buy the RC 4" long arm upgrade kit. Then add 6" inch coils along with bilstien 5100 shocks made for a 6" lift along with a adjustable track bar? Will I need anything else? The upgrade kits looks complete just its missing shocks, springs, and track bar. Is this correct?

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-wj-...rm-upgrade.php

Thanks everyone
No rear shock relocation brackets. I am pretty sure that's it. You wanting to run 33's?
Roger005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #189
kaktus
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger005 View Post
No rear shock relocation brackets. I am pretty sure that's it. You wanting to run 33's?
Yes I want to run 33's.
kaktus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #190
precisioninstal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 35
Don't forget about brake lines.
precisioninstal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #191
PhantomWJ
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: IE
Posts: 3,341
rear shock relocation is not require if you are running aftermarket wheels with less back spacing...

extended brake lines are not required, only recomended...

you will want longer front and rear sway bar links...those for the 4" will do but the anti-sway bars wont be at their optimal angle...

you will need longer shocks to complement your 6" lift...

You will want longer bump stops so you wont tear apart your fenders every time your wheel gets stuffed, that is if you disconnect.

Front and rear driveshafts...

OH, BY THE WAY...did you read this....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...iftchartv2.jpg
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #192
aleet25
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Auburn, Georgia
Posts: 230
Just talked to Darrell over at RC and he says that the 2.2 shocks ARE compatible with 6" of lift.
aleet25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #193
PhantomWJ
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: IE
Posts: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleet25 View Post
Just talked to Darrell over at RC and he says that the 2.2 shocks ARE compatible with 6" of lift.
I had those 2.2 on my prevoius 4" lift, they are not long enough.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #194
Roger005
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Trenton, MI
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Shocks dont exactly have a wide range they can be run at. The RC shocks are designed for their 4" lift. Any deviation from that will destroy them fairly quickly. You will most definitely need shocks designed for a 6" lift if you go with 6" coils. Everything else in the RC will work just fine after being properly adjusted.
Do you happen to know what you are running for alignment specs? I am doing the same kit but I am going to put 3/4" spacers up front as well. Do you know what your caster is set at by chance? Thank you.
Roger005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #195
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI
 
ezflip's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleet25 View Post
Just talked to Darrell over at RC and he says that the 2.2 shocks ARE compatible with 6" of lift.
Darrell is kind of an idiot. Ive talked to him a few times and now I ask for someone else when I call haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger005 View Post
Do you happen to know what you are running for alignment specs? I am doing the same kit but I am going to put 3/4" spacers up front as well. Do you know what your caster is set at by chance? Thank you.
My caster is set at 4.1 right now, but im going to raise it to 5 - 5.5. Steering is just a little bit sloppy right now. Before I got my alignment right after install it was at like 9 and was super tight, just had lots of driveline vibes.
__________________
~James

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series


Build Thread


The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway is here!!
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
rc , rc longarm , rough country , rough country long arm

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.