ground/earth/negative Strap between gearbox and engine WJ 4.7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ground/earth/negative Strap between gearbox and engine WJ 4.7

The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueHappy 4th! 10% OFF LEDs with code: JULY4

Unread 10-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
kfxnando
2001 WJ 

ground/earth/negative Strap between gearbox and engine WJ 4.7

hi every one

when servicing the box this week, saw the one between gearbox and body, and also saw that there is another one that leaves the gearbox to go somewhere, have read that it goes to the motor, that one is damaged and broken

however not sure where on the motor it goes to

have done searches and even looked on wjjeep and can't seem to find the exact info
could be on wjjeep, and me just not looked on the right place

could someone pls help me with the info, and if possible a pic

already have a new earth strap, some type that the others are, braided

all help and info welcome

http://s538.photobucket.com/user/kfxnando/library/?sort=3&page=1
kfxnando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
kfxnando
2001 WJ 

someone?

Unread 10-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
kerno
2000 WJ 

I may be completely wrong here, but as solidly as the trans and engine are bolted together, I can't understand why they would need a ground strap between them.
kerno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
kfxnando
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerno View Post
I may be completely wrong here, but as solidly as the trans and engine are bolted together, I can't understand why they would need a ground strap between them.

my 1st reaction is to agree with you
however, have read of some gearbox issues, being sorted out by just fixing the one strap that's missing, read that on here
with all the electronics on these cars, these connections become critical
maybe its there in case one gets bad
and self have some experience with bad grounds giving me the run around

so would rather be on the safe side with this one

thanx

Unread 10-11-2011, 03:40 AM   #5
kfxnando
2001 WJ 

someone

someone here surely can help

Unread 10-11-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I can see no reason for a ground strap between two solidly attached, highly conductive, pieces of metal.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Apparently Jeep thought differently, as do most manufacturers. Seeing as I dont really see why they would waste the wire and time for the fun of it, I'd say there is a reason for all the ground straps myself.
You can attach them to any bolt on the motor and they should do their job.
There are 2 ground straps on the RHS and 1 on the LHS of the side of the motor, right around the motor mount bolts.
There are also 2 that are on top, around the intake manifold area.
The one on the transmission goes to the bracket that is attached to the rear section of the Y pipe IIRC.

Martin
1994 YJ, 4.3/700R4/OME SOA, etc
Western Star 4900EX 4 axle.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
kfxnando
2001 WJ 

thanx very much, it sounds like its worst then I though, looks like there might be more then one earth strap missing, have enough braided wire, so if I need more then one, will make a plan

again, thanx very much

Unread 10-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
kerno
2000 WJ 

I agree with leftlanetruckin about the location of the various grounds. The three that are adjacent to the mounts all run into wiring harnesses. One of the two at the top of the engine and the other goes to the body. The one at the rear of the trans is attached to a bracket that also supports the exhaust and runs from there to the body. If you want to run one between the engine and the trans, you could easily use the bolts that hold the structural cover in place. That's the cast piece that covers the bottom of the torque converter and has 8 bolts tying the engine to the trans.
kerno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

No problem.
I can try to post up the ground strap locations if needed. If you can't find them, shoot me a PM and I will try to email you some pics/diagrams from Alldata for our 15yr old's 2000 4.7
From memory though....
1 attaches to the hanger for the front Y pipe. It goes to the transfer case bolts, right above the cross member.
2 on the passenger side of the block, 1 on the drivers side of the block. They are both around the motor mounts on the sides of the block. should be 14 or 15mm bolts just bolted in with nothing to do.
1 from the battery harness that I put to the alternator or ac compressor bracket.
2 from the firewall that go to the top of the intake/cylinder head area.
1 on the transmission, passenger side near the rear of it.

Martin

Edit, just repeating what JUST got posted, oh well...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
Apparently Jeep thought differently, as do most manufacturers.

Martin
shortest ground path is always best. that's why there's often a strap for both heads and the alt bracket. and sometimes the trans.

the zj only has a strap on each head, none on the trans.

i see you've posted locations that are not chassis to block/trans grounds for the vast majority of ground locations listed. we don't count grounds for the various wiring loops.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Very true, some are indeed grounds from the main wiring harness, and not direct chassis to ground wires.
I posted them all in the attempt to be as thorough as possible though, just in case some of the wires (engine block ones for example) were broken. The OP would then know to look for them and spot any possible issues. Dont know where to look if its missing now do we?
The ones under the rig are indeed ground straps, that go from chassis to transmission and transfer case etc. Most are double looped, meaning there are at least 2 connections for bolts to go through along one strap. Tranny/transfer case and the head ones (ground straps) are like this.
I guess I should be more specific when trying to help folks out in listing the likes of ground points etc huh?
Although, I guess Alldata need a lesson too...
From the Alldata site for the WJ;
Disconnect two ground straps from the lower right hand side and one ground strap from the lower left hand side of the engine.

No need to get ultra picky IMHO. A ground location is a ground location, whether it comes directly from the chassis or a wiring harness that contains other wires within itself.
After doing my fare share of motor swaps, the need for good grounds is imperative to the correct operation of a rig and it's accessories. Just like securing your rig to a trailer, you can never have too many tie downs can you?

Martin
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622
Unread 02-15-2015, 08:48 PM   #13
idel0817

braided ground straps 2000 Jeep G/C 4.7

Can someone please try to post some exact locations of the attaching points where the braided strap coming from behind the ECM area on my 2000 G/C 4.7 attach to. If you have the exact location where the 2 loops coming from that strap of braided wire I would truly appreciate it. I have read previous posts ad research several sources but none show the 'exact' location to fasten them to.

Thank you all so much. You're all great.

Israel
idel0817 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #14
js12278
1999 WJ 

there is usually a ground wire anytime there is an electrical or electronic connection close by. Solenoids in transmission, ground wire. Poor grounds are like hunting ghosts. It is surprising the difference a good ground can make.
js12278 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #15
Nick C. Ruffin
2004 WJ 

the ground for the PCM comes from the right side back -- there are three torex screws two on one side the far left and one on the right side -- this ground runs to the engine to a bolt that is roughly between the transmission and the engine dip sticks.
Nick C. Ruffin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.