Groaning/Clunking noise when putting into gear going from dead stop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Groaning/Clunking noise when putting into gear going from dead stop

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
losttech

2000 WJ 

Groaning/Clunking noise when putting into gear going from dead stop

OK got this odd issue in the rear area I get Groaning with some slight Clunking noise when putting into gear and moving from dead stop also from taking off from dead stop.

Now I have no other noises or vibrations runs fine.
I have replaced the shocks and made sure they were shimmed well with the correct bolt for the new shocks, noise was there before and after.

Looked at the rear A-Arm and control arms bushing seems great no play in anything.

Drive shaft seems tight no play.

I am goingto have a friend help me and put it in and out of gear to see if I can pinpoint the noise location.

It really sounds like some loose old bushings and something is getting movement but everything looks good.

Recently opened my diffs and changed fluids and all looked well there.

Any ideas on what this might be?
Hopefully I will find it this weekend but any helpful insight might make things faster

Oh and thanks Kolak I sent him and email asking about some parts thinking it was the A-arm and he got back to me super fast with some nice prices so I will be using him in the future if I need some suspension parts.

losttech is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.