Grinding/Whining noise when decelerating from 70mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grinding/Whining noise when decelerating from 70mph

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 05-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
kdsimmons19
2004 WJ 

Wj Grinding/Whining noise when decelerating from 70mph

I elected to start a new thread since I couldn't find anything from this year. I'm seeing others having similar issues so maybe opening a new dialogue helps.

To clarify I have an '04 WJ Overland with a 247 TC, and a limited working knowledge of mechanics.

Today while driving on the highway at about 70 mph I let off the throttle and notice a noise that can best be described as grinding. I believe it is coming from the front end but I am not certain. It goes away when I open the throttle back up, but if i close it again it's right back. It almost as if you can "feel" it as well as hear it, but only to the same extent you can feel vibrations when your stereo is WAO. I don't drive on the highway a lot and rarely get over 50 mph so I can't recall hearing this before.

It is getting new tires within the next week and a half (highly doubt noise is related to the worn tires) but I want to know how what else I should have checked.

Thanks all.

kdsimmons19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Check your front driveshaft and your tranny mount.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
adavis39
2002 WJ 

i have the exact same issue. it started as soon as I installed the lift. I have the oem double cardan driveshaft. I tried taking it off and driving. The symptons were still there but much less noticable. this leads me to believe that the issue must not be driveshaft related (at least not completely) but more likely having the driveshaft attached just exaggerates the vibrations. so in that case the issue seems to be either axle or transfer case related. like you it definately sems to be coming from the front. I have already changed both hubs due to another issue and that changed nothing. im now leaning toward a pinion issue. im definately no expert. thats just my train of thought. start with your driveshaft since it is a common problem spot. keep us updated if you solve it.
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
kdsimmons19
2004 WJ 

Quick Update: Today I had 4 new factory sized tires installed and also had an alignment done. The noise is still present yet I think it may be slightly muted. I will update again when I have a chance to stretch it out on I-40 and if I can get someone to take a look at the front end. Cheers.
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
kdsimmons19
2004 WJ 

Another update: Over the last several months I have changed all major fluids: t case, diffs, and tranny. Everything seems quiet with the exception of the diffs at very low speed in tight turns. I am given to understand this can be normal because of vari locks, but that's another question.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.