Grinding noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grinding noise

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
Jpayne
1994 ZJ 

Grinding noise

On my 99 I have a grinding noise when I turn left and the wj is runnin rather sluggish. Sometimes I have to shift manually from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to drive. I was told it was my front drive shaft cuz there is a lot of play in the drive shaft and the transfer case. Any suggestions. I was told hub assembly for the grinding and sluggish and shifting issues is the govner solenoid and sensor. I need help.

Jpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Sounds like a few things possibly might be going on. Do you know what type of driveshaft do you have? Does it have any ujoints on it? or is the rezeppa style?

You can try removing the front driveshaft and see if that fixes any of the noises you're hearing. Grinding I would start looking at if either of your front driveshaft boots are ripped. If so, it could cause noises or grinding as dirt and debris would be allowed to get into the joint. Easy visual inspection. As for the wheel bearing, lift the corner so that the tire is off of the ground. push/pull the tire in and out, top to bottom, side to side, corner to corner. Is there any play at all? or is there any in and out play? If the answer is yes, then replace the wheel bearing. Mine I just did and went in less than a year due to other issues I'm having. Once we were doing the ball joints we discovered the issue, and there was only in and out play in it. Either way, there should be no play. Once the one side is checked, do the other side. Also when you lift it up watch to see if there is noticeable play in the ball joints as well.

As for the transmission issue, do you have a check engine light? Typically when the governor solenoid and sensor starting to act up and go, it'll throw engine codes. Search the WJ forum and some good threads on the subject will come up. If you have engine codes, do the key trick to get what codes.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
Jpayne
1994 ZJ 

The driveshaft is the rezeppa style. You can turn it with your about in inch or more. I haven't taken it out yet but I think I will do that tomorrow. There's no play at all ball joints tres or in and out play. As far as transmission I've had trouble with shifting or a while now. It tacked around 4000 before shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. I went in a mud pit and it wouldn't shift outta 2nd until I manually did it a couple of times. A guy on another jeep forum said it was the governor solenoid and sensor because his did the same thing. It's very sluggish from a complete stop. It's like it's chugging then it will stop.
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

That's kinda high for shifting. i rarely get over 3000rpm on mine, and that's going up the huge *** hill I drive every day. If the governor solenoid is an issue, has it thrown an engine code? Mine did something stupid out of the blue and threw codes. Had them cleared, and touch wood, so far it's been fine. If it is that, then from the posts I read, it goes into a limp mode, like you're in 3rd gear from a stop. Not too hard to change or expensive so maybe worth trying.

Since you were in mud, I'd open up the front diff, inspect that everything is ok, clean it out, and put in fresh oil. If you have mud or water in it, can do bad things. Better to do and have piece of mind for the time and cost it takes. Could also be with the mud, it's caused an issue with one of the front axle shafts. Is it specific to the left or right side?

I'm not sure exactly how much play is 'normal' for the front drive shaft, as I've had issues with mine. There's the rotational play with it on and in 2WD, and when it's in 4WD. I don't know what it should be at. The shaft itself, I've had issues with the rear rezeppa joint and the boot being ripped. Also there is what I was thinking too much play in the joint, although it wasn't that much. Now with the donor I put on to keep it working since I don't have the $ for a new shaft right now has been working great. Boot was in great shape and has held up so far without problems. (over a month now) The one thing I did notice though, is that the joint was very tight, as in it performed as it should, but didn't find any play in it at all, sideways, or in and out, if you pulled on it. Hoping it'll hold up for a while.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

Check differential fluids. I felt a grinding when turning as well.
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
Jpayne
1994 ZJ 

No there's been no codes thrown at all I wish it'd make is easier. It's the driver side u can hear it and feel it. A buddy of mine said half shaft which is a pretty easy and inexpensive fix. Ever since I was in the mud it's done the grinding noise when I'm driving and turn left and when I'm at a dead stop and give it gas to go its chugging really bad till I hit about 15 mph.
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

If the bearings in the CV axle shaft are toast, could very well need replacing. Not sure what he's refering to as a half shaft. This is what you're looking at.

Unread 06-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Jeep99wj
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro
If the bearings in the CV axle shaft are toast, could very well need replacing. Not sure what he's refering to as a half shaft. This is what you're looking at.
Usually half shaft is a term used with xjs because thier front axle isnt cv driven like your picture. Wjs are cv driven and others use "half shaft"
Just to try and clear it up

I replaced my driver side hub/bearing and cv axle on monday because the cv basically exploded causing a loud clicking sound even in 2wd
Jeep99wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
Jpayne
1994 ZJ 

That would be it. Ill try this first and see what happens. On the plus side I finished my hitch mounted tire carrier. Now this cv axle and try and diagnose my chugging issue is next on the list.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.