Grinding from left rear wheel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grinding from left rear wheel?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
imdave
2002 WJ 

Grinding from left rear wheel?

Driving home, I started hearing a loud grinding noise coming from my left rear wheel. Stopped and saw fluid. I pulled it into a parking spot as the ABS light came on and the brake pedal dropped (not all the way to the floor). Any one have this problem? Any ideas of what it could be? I'm afraid it's the axle seal and even more afraid that I will need to change out the axle shaft (did it once before on a different car, and it was a nightmare).

imdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Are you sure it's not the caliper is gone? Can't see how the ABS would be effected by the axle leaking. Had mine leaking on the one side but suddenly stopped for some reason, but has a bit of play in the bearing so will need to be done soon. Never effected the ABS or breaks.

My one caliper gave out last week. Didn't hear any noise unless I was turning, but on closer inspection could smell a metal on metal burning smell. Add to that your pedal dropped as well, possibly the caliper is toast, and may have leaked fluid out.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #3
imdave
2002 WJ 

Removed the caliper, and capped it. Drove it to a mechanic. On the way there the grinding noise came back. I need to replace the bearing, seal, and axle. Mechanic said that the sensor will 'freak out' if something is going wrong around it. If the brake has a problem, I'll post more, but for now I need an axle. Any tips on inexpensive ones? I'm tight for money.
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #4
car5car
2000 WJ 

You need to buy special "repair" bearing
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
99WJ01TJ
1999 WJ 

I think your ABS was just doing it's job. When i go off roading I get on pretty gnarly trails that have rediculous declines & i've noticed that on descents if 1 front wheel is on a hard surface & the other hits loose dirt & slides the ABS light comes on my pedal gets soft. It does this so that it can make sure that both wheels on that axle are going the same speed while the brakes are applied(thats why all 4 wheels have speed sensors) keeping the vehicle from loosing control under braking. I think your light came on because you lost a bunch of oil from your bearing & when the brakes were applied it wasn't able to slow that wheel down as much as the other wheel due to the pads slipping on the oil covered rotor.
99WJ01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
ujoint
2004 WJ 

Your bearing went bad and the axle pulled out causing it to push your caliper piston back in. That's why you had to brake go down. the axle pulling out moved the tone wheel for the sensor to that is your abs light. That axle should have a seal, bearing and lock ring all pressed on together. the bearing does not ride on the axle itself it rides on a race and has a cup that goes in the axle tube. unless you tore up the axle shaft driving it hanging out it should be ok.
axle-shaft-bearing.gif  
ujoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
airborne75
2000 WJ 

Where is the best place to buy bearings and seals?
airborne75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
imdave
2002 WJ 

I would go to Factorycryslerparts.com. That's where I've gotten all the parts, and they have good Illustrated Parts Breakdowns.
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
imdave
2002 WJ 

Sorry it took so long to post the follow up, but here's a link to pics when I took it apart. Got it up and running, and yes it was the left rear bearing that fell apart.

http://www.facebook.com/david.peters...1205057&type=3
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
imdave
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujoint View Post
Your bearing went bad and the axle pulled out causing it to push your caliper piston back in. That's why you had to brake go down. the axle pulling out moved the tone wheel for the sensor to that is your abs light. That axle should have a seal, bearing and lock ring all pressed on together. the bearing does not ride on the axle itself it rides on a race and has a cup that goes in the axle tube. unless you tore up the axle shaft driving it hanging out it should be ok.
Thanks for the info! I honestly thought that the axle did ride on the bearing. I'm mechanically inclined but I can always use learning more!
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Glad you got it fixed ok. When mine was starting to go, was actually a different problem was happening, but noticed that the caliper spring was riding on the rotor and didn't look straight. sure enough i t was in bad shape. Think the angle though was enough to not allow it to leak, which is why the leaking stopped. better yet where I had it done, they told me it was changed out before and wasn't done properly. All good so far since getting it done.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #12
imdave
2002 WJ 

lol so I finally got a proper torque wrench in the mail. Go to apply proper torque value to the retaining plate, and snap. Awaiting more parts lol
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:13 AM   #13
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Well, that's not good.

Unread 07-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

How much torque were you applying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdave View Post
lol so I finally got a proper torque wrench in the mail. Go to apply proper torque value to the retaining plate, and snap. Awaiting more parts lol
doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.