Grand Cherokee - Tail Lights Not Working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grand Cherokee - Tail Lights Not Working

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
dooley5

Grand Cherokee - Tail Lights Not Working

So I started with no tail lights and 1 missing brake light.

All other lights (interior, front, turn signals) worked fine. I changed bulbs - still no luck. Changed fuses - no luck. Read a prior post about the adjusting the chrome pieces on the metal assembly.. tried it and now the brake lights both work but not the tail lights.

About an hour after brake light fixed, the right turn signal started blinking fast.

Any ideas what can cause the faulty tail lights and quick turn signal?

dooley5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

The sockets and tail lamp assemblies have issues. After cleaning connections and fixing mine several times, I finally bought LED lights on Ebay.

Before you buy new housings and sockets though, I would pull out a voltmeter, unplug the wiring harness, and start testing for power at the harness. If you are getting power back there for tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, you have a good ground...time to replace the housings.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
The sockets and tail lamp assemblies have issues. After cleaning connections and fixing mine several times, I finally bought LED lights on Ebay.

Before you buy new housings and sockets though, I would pull out a voltmeter, unplug the wiring harness, and start testing for power at the harness. If you are getting power back there for tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, you have a good ground...time to replace the housings.
agreed. the sockets suck. and are expensive to buy new. I went to the salvage yard to replace mine.
Cowboyup94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

I was having a similar issue, and after testing enough that I was satisfied the housing itself was not the culprit, I ordered these. (http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-923-034-Tail-Lamp-Socket/dp/B000TYSBYY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328048444&sr=8-1-fkmr0). At ~5 bucks a pop, I bought 6 replacements just so I don't have to deal with the BS anymore. I had gotten pulled over 3 times for having a tail light out, 2 of those times the cop let me get out and show him how to fix it quickly, (I had gotten it down to a <3 minute process).
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
MiCrOz

I had this problem also, wound up going with LED's.
MiCrOz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post
I was having a similar issue, and after testing enough that I was satisfied the housing itself was not the culprit, I ordered these. (http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-923-034...4&sr=8-1-fkmr0). At ~5 bucks a pop, I bought 6 replacements just so I don't have to deal with the BS anymore. I had gotten pulled over 3 times for having a tail light out, 2 of those times the cop let me get out and show him how to fix it quickly, (I had gotten it down to a <3 minute process).
Thats a dang good price!!! I prolly almost paid that for a used one! Thanks for showing that!!
Cowboyup94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.