Grab a cup of coffee and a comfy chair... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grab a cup of coffee and a comfy chair...

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #16
pittdogg
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0dgeRam1500 View Post
All Grand Cherokee's are Uni-Body meaning you can't use a body lift. If you aren't going to wheel it then talk to Kolak (vendor on this forum) about the OME lift kits. It will still ride nice and look great. All lift kits will cause some sort of premature wear on parts.

Sent from my Droid X.
I'm looking into a 4 inch lift aswell, researching.. what are some precautionary steps I could take to ensure best performance? What are common parts that fail from a 4 inch lift?

pittdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
Dasko
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittdogg

I'm looking into a 4 inch lift aswell, researching.. what are some precautionary steps I could take to ensure best performance? What are common parts that fail from a 4 inch lift?
When I did my 3 inch lift 1 of my hubs did not like the lift. also as of recently my front drive shaft crapped out on me but I think it was going bad anyway. Other than that make sure you have all the right kind of bushings I'm sure there are other things that people will chime in on but that's just my 2 cents of what happened to me. Other than that it has treated me well. Don't forget your coil isolators.

YEEPmobile

2001 WJ- SOLD

[QUOTE=mrJ]It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.[/QUOTE][/CENTER]
Dasko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #18
IDD86
2000 WJ 

I see that fat bobs offers 2.5" coil springs for $189. Maybe take a peek at those.
Unread 08-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
pittdogg
2000 WJ 

I was just reading a post about drive shafts, I think I have the weak shaft in the front as well.. are they difficult to replace?
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #20
ry1820
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittdogg View Post
I was just reading a post about drive shafts, I think I have the weak shaft in the front as well.. are they difficult to replace?
The front driveshaft takes about 15 minutes to swap out. VERY easy.

99 GC Limited - 4.7 V8 - Quadra Drive (sold; 110,000 miles)
02 GC Laredo - I6 - Selec Trac (sold; 123,000 miles)
04 GC Limited - 4.7 V8 - Quadra Drive (sold; 132,000 miles)
07 GC Limited - 4.7 V8 - Quadra-Trac II (sold; 78,000 miles)

(OlllllllO)
ry1820 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #21
Ravie
1999 WJ 

He meant Manhattan, Kansas, I'm guessing. College Town about 2 hours from KC...

I think you need to turn this into a big get together and we can ALL hang out with our WJ's and work on his Jeep...What fun!
Unread 08-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #22
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Did I hear free beer for BB install? I'm there. Lol

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #23
Cr3nshaw
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyup94 View Post
Cr3nshaw-as you see basically everyone on here is like a friend that you don't know. Buy a case of beer and they will be your best friend and be there to help you. As suggested all suspension shops will rip you off. Do it yourself or with the help of others.
I can dig that! I've been wanting to do this stuff for a while but I also have a photography hobby that is expensive - it always seems to win the contest.

Anyway, I'll be coming in to some cash in about a month and I plan on doing all this then. Just so you guys know who are offering to help, I've got a gravel driveway. As a wrencher, I hate it. So, if anyone has the room for it, I'd gladly compensate. I'd also like to do some photos of some of your rides who are local, shooting cars is good stuff.

So I'm going to do some more reading, and try and get a list together that way when I'm ready I won't waste too much of your guys' generous time.

So far I'm looking at:

2" lift
upgraded shocks
wheel spacers
potential front driveshaft replacement
copious amounts of alcoholic beverages (from the Missouri side!).

Does that sound about right? I'm also wondering if I should consider any kind of sway bar or traction control front and/or rear? I'm just concerned about the ride changing and that would frustrate me.

Thanks again for all the help guys.
Cr3nshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #24
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Don't forget spring isolators! $100 and that is the real cause of "sagging"

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #25
Cr3nshaw
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravie View Post
He meant Manhattan, Kansas, I'm guessing. College Town about 2 hours from KC...

I think you need to turn this into a big get together and we can ALL hang out with our WJ's and work on his Jeep...What fun!
Hey that actually isn't a bad idea - I'd spring for some grub and drinks. Maybe you could all get your rides looking purdy and get some nice photos of them while we're at it.

Yes - spring isolators, I missed that one.

Is there a Show-Me Jeep club down here, I'm sure? There was one back in St. Joseph where I'm from, I wasn't a member but I hung out with quite a few of those guys when I had my Wrangler.
Cr3nshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #26
pittdogg
2000 WJ 

Could anyone direct me to a good link with a quality front drive shaft? And spring isolators? Lol is there a good 3 inch lift that has these parts included?
Unread 08-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
waxon
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittdogg
Could anyone direct me to a good link with a quality front drive shaft? And spring isolators? Lol is there a good 3 inch lift that has these parts included?
Talk to Kolak. Vendor here on the forums very helpful he can set you up with whatever you are looking for at a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using that little keyboard
Unread 08-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #28
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr3nshaw View Post
Hey that actually isn't a bad idea - I'd spring for some grub and drinks. Maybe you could all get your rides looking purdy and get some nice photos of them while we're at it.

Yes - spring isolators, I missed that one.

Is there a Show-Me Jeep club down here, I'm sure? There was one back in St. Joseph where I'm from, I wasn't a member but I hung out with quite a few of those guys when I had my Wrangler.

I would definitely be down. Wrenching get togethers are always a blast!
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #29
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittdogg View Post
Get your spring isolators from Kolak or www.rockauto.com.

Get your 3" lift from Iron Rock Offroad (kit starts at $499 including springs, shocks, end links, and track bar, upgrade to Bilsteins for $250 more). Or get it from Kolak. Or piece it together/hybrid lift it. If you want a one-stop shop then IRO or Kolak are your best bets. Just don't buy isolators from IRO, they are way too expensive ($200 from IRO or $85 from rockauto).

Another choice that a lot of people have used is the combination of BDS springs and Bilstein shocks which I've detailed in my build thread and "Comprehensive BDS Lift Thread", both of which are in my sig.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #30
2001WJv8
1983 CJ7 

i've had my jeep at stock, 4", upcountry only, u/c + 2", and u/c + 3/4" spacers .... all over the place in 12 years

so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr3nshaw View Post

So far I'm looking at:

2" lift
upgraded shocks
wheel spacers
potential front driveshaft replacement
copious amounts of alcoholic beverages (from the Missouri side!).

Does that sound about right? I'm also wondering if I should consider any kind of sway bar or traction control front and/or rear? I'm just concerned about the ride changing and that would frustrate me.

Thanks again for all the help guys.
if you stay at/below 2" you can stay at stock shock height which depending on the status of your current shocks could save you some money. If you go 2-3" you'll need new/longer shocks in the front (2" not totally needed on street jeeps...but a good idea) but could still stay with stock height in the back. At 2" you won't have to worry about the driveshaft either. Wheel spacers look cool, but not worth the wear/tear on hubs and they'll affect the ride/steering feel too (moving the wheels 3" apart will be noticeable, not horrible but the wheel will feel more bouncy).

at 2" you'll move the front axle off-center ... not a big deal at that height, but if you want to recenter you'll need an adjustable trackbar. Once you get that, i'd suggest you get kevin's offroad "harder durometer" bushings to lock it down or you'll get a fair amount of reverb through the steering wheel. Again, not a mandatory item, but nice if you like the refined ride of a stock WJ

i'd also suggest at least the rear addco swaybar - in my opinion, this is one of the best mod's to any WJ (...if i could only ever do one mod....this would be it)

+1 on talking to Nick (Kolak) - i've used him for everything for over a decade and he's always been great to work with and loads of great advice.

also - if you do the budget boost don't bother getting new rear/upper spring isolators, the budget boost will take the place in that mounting location (still need both fronts and lower rear)

also, you'll need to recenter your steering wheel (easy) and will probably want an alignment after you lift it. Staying 3" or below for a street WJ is the smartest option unless you have lots of money
2001WJv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.