Grab a cup of coffee and a comfy chair... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Grab a cup of coffee and a comfy chair...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Cr3nshaw
2000 WJ 

Grab a cup of coffee and a comfy chair...

Hey, new member, hello. Before we get started let me say that I've scoured this site and searched until I could search no more. I see a lot of lingo and acronyms, and as a new guy to 4WD terminology, it's lost on me for the time being.

So here's the deal:

I've got a bone-stock 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo. I've looked at endless pictures and seems like a 4" lift is what I'm after along with a new set of wheels/tires. I'd love to find some newer 17" Jeep wheels to use, for what it's worth. So...

I'll be having the suspension work done, anyone make a recommendation for Kansas City? Which kit to use, suspension or body lift? Is it that simple? Do I need anything other than what is in the kit?

I won't be using the thing for any serious off-roading, just want a nice, tasteful lift and wheels and tires to go with it.

Will my speedometer still be accurate? I can't see how, on my motorcycles any change in wheel or tire size would throw it off. I'm guessing there is a speedo healer for Jeeps, too?

What am I getting in to? Do these lifts cause premature replacement requirements for steering/drivetrain components?

Also, as a former Wrangler owner, I fell in love with the GC because of the ride and capability. How much of that gorgeous, smooth ride am I going to sacrifice with a lift, if any? I won't be going too crazy with tires, just a little more beefy as again, I'm not doing anything crazy with it.

Thanks for any and all help. If I've totally missed something that would answer all my questions, feel free to turn me in that direction and give me a nice shove. Thanks again.

Cr3nshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
ruggedscotsman
2000 WJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...thread-314066/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...-post-1304102/

ruggedscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
D0dgeRam1500
2006 KJ Liberty 

All Grand Cherokee's are Uni-Body meaning you can't use a body lift. If you aren't going to wheel it then talk to Kolak (vendor on this forum) about the OME lift kits. It will still ride nice and look great. All lift kits will cause some sort of premature wear on parts.

Sent from my Droid X.
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
funkduck
2002 WJ 

If you're not actually wheeling it on serious stuff, don't overthink it. Do a two inch spacer lift for "pennies", your ride won't be affected, it will have the most minimal effect on component life, and you'll have room for a bit more meat on your rims. Save your cash for gasoline.

As for installing a spacer lift... handle it yourself (assuming you aren't physically handicapped, my apologies if this isn't an option), it's easy and will give you more confidence in your knowledge of the machine you drive. And save you a few more bucks.
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

Do the suspension work your self. Everyone around here seems to charge an arm and leg. Or let me put it on for you.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Cr3nshaw
2000 WJ 

ZeJokee, generally I'm mechanically inclined. Built a few hot rods in my day, but I've never even attempted suspension work. I had a cousin lose his upper and lower front teeth from a spring. Granted, he was an idiot, but since then I've shied away from it. Anyway, I'm not against it but I don't have the work space for anything beyond maybe a belt or brake replacement.

Thanks for all the input. Maybe 2" would give me what I'm looking for, which is basically just a little more height. The GC seems to sit a bit too low for me but most importantly I don't want to affect the way it rides. I love the ride on road trips (I put about 25K miles a year or more on my cars).

Ruggedscotsman, while I appreciate what you linked, good lord man, I'm brand new to this stuff. It's funny though, I've been wrenching for years but most everything in that link is going over my head.

ZeJokee, if you'd like to make a little side cash and you're not a complete ******* (lol, sorry, jaded from meeting people from the internet), I'd gladly give you the work. I'd probably love to pick your brain, too. So you might want to figure that in on your price
Cr3nshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
dtrkyman
2013 WK 

keep in mind your old jeep is probably sagging, new springs shocks and isolaters can add over an inch with stock components.
dtrkyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

I would be glad to help you do it and show you that suspensions can be dangerous if you do not take precautions and are stupid. You will also learned a lot about your WJ and how it works. A 12 pack or 2 and I'll be glad to help. Just PM if you are interested. I live in Raytown and work in Belton so Shawnee isn't too far for me.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
D0dgeRam1500
2006 KJ Liberty 

I would also replace your spring isolators. They contribute to you losing ground clearance. I would definitely talk to Kolak though. The Old Man Emu springs ride nice especially with the Bilstein shocks.
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
ineedyjeepy

I live in Overland Park. I have an 04 Overland w/ 3" iron rock offload lift, IRO control arms (all the way around), addco, old man emu front spring spacers - 3/8", wheel spacers, bilstiens, 31" Nitto terra grapplers and some other stuff. I like the setup a lot! If you want to check it out pm me and we can work something out.
ineedyjeepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

4 inches will affect your ride quality on short arms. If you go to long arms, the ride will still be nice. However, LA's are pricey. I would do as has been suggested and get a BB.

Tire size will make your speedo incorrect. The only way to fix this on the 99-01 JGC's that I know of is to modify the signal sent from the ABS to the speedo. This can be done for about $70 using a module that was designed for motorcycles (12 o'clock labs). MoonyJohn and 801DubJay are two that I know of that have info on this in their builds, others likely have install info as well.

My opinion: If it will not be used offroad, stick with a Budget Boost. Other opinions:
Most BB lifts are equal, your price difference will come from the shocks you choose to run.
If you decide on a 4 inch short arm kit, I would go with Iron Rock Off Road.
If you decide on a long arm 4 inch kit, I would go with Iron Rock Off Road (bolt on) or Clayton's (weld on)
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
Dasko
2001 WJ 

Ill make the drive to help out too. I'm in Manhattan but nobody around here has wj's its all tj/xj's. Let me know when!

YEEPmobile

2001 WJ- SOLD

[QUOTE=mrJ]It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.[/QUOTE][/CENTER]
Dasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Bluefish94
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasko
Ill make the drive to help out too. I'm in Manhattan but nobody around here has wj's its all tj/xj's. Let me know when!

YEEPmobile
Off topic but when i first read this i thought that's a hell of guy to go from NY to KS to help install a lift. I figured it out moments later but still found it amusing.

Sent from my ECM
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
Dasko
2001 WJ 

Haha. Everyone needs a vacation. However I have made that drive before and it's actually rather comfortable in my wj

YEEPmobile

2001 WJ- SOLD

[QUOTE=mrJ]It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.[/QUOTE][/CENTER]
Dasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
Cowboyup94
2001 WJ 

Cr3nshaw-as you see basically everyone on here is like a friend that you don't know. Buy a case of beer and they will be your best friend and be there to help you. As suggested all suspension shops will rip you off. Do it yourself or with the help of others.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.