GPS in the WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > GPS in the WJ

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Navy75
2002 WJ 

GPS in the WJ

Wanted to hear what others are using for large screen GPS or software on computers/tablets when they are out wheeling? Starting to build the truck for more towards expedition stuff (hopefully I can turn out as good as theKsmith) and want to get something set up in the truck.
I have a spare Netbook I was thinking about using and loading some software, not sure which yet, and using either my hand held unit to interface or maybe an external antennae.
I looked in the GPS/RADIO section of the forum but most of the threads there are really outdated.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Navy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Duh

In my tj i had an old laptop with a linux based gps program running in it. I had it mounted upside down on a overhead console . But nowadays i just use my iphone-there are some decent gps programs out there besides the apple one (tomtom) and google.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy75 View Post
Wanted to hear what others are using for large screen GPS or software on computers/tablets when they are out wheeling? Starting to build the truck for more towards expedition stuff (hopefully I can turn out as good as theKsmith) and want to get something set up in the truck.
I have a spare Netbook I was thinking about using and loading some software, not sure which yet, and using either my hand held unit to interface or maybe an external antennae.
I looked in the GPS/RADIO section of the forum but most of the threads there are really outdated.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Check out "theksmith"s builds.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...0/index80.html

http://offroadpassport.com/forum/sho...hp?t=5&page=69
gcjeeping is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
PLAN D

Depending on your set-up both Terrain Navigator and Overland Navigator use scanned USGS Topo maps and allow you to record your trail and place markers/descriptions on the maps. Terrain Nav. has more bells & whistles, while Overland Nav. is more basic.
PLAN D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

I have an RB1, but my Garmin is much faster and easier to use, but isn't really for off-roading.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
Navy75
2002 WJ 

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
I figured he might have a write up in his thread somewhere. So far I've only made it to page 46
Navy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy75 View Post
I figured he might have a write up in his thread somewhere. So far I've only made it to page 46

PM him on here. Maybe he has one I didnt see.

gcjeeping is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
bradywgn71
2002 WJ 

This thread may help too.

http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2710

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.