Got rear ended today... :-( - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Got rear ended today... :-(

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #31
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

a hitch ball isn't going to prevent damage from occurring or lessen it any on either end. it might be more localized for the other guy though and you can be fined for it in many states.
think about it for a second, all the force is still being transmitted through your hitch just as if it had been hit flat. in some cases it will change where the damage to your vehicle occurs though. instead of some dents to your rear bumper crossmember it'll bend the frame.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #32
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Technically it's not allowed here but they never enforce it at all.

Many rear end accidents occur at lower speeds, not highway speeds. I've seen far less damage with the trailer hitch scenario, and in some cases no damage except for the car doing the rear ending. Typically they're braking, but not enough to stop so they hit you while still braking. At times, you won't even see a scratch. Higher the speed, more impact, you're kinda screwed usually either way. I've seen a WJ without a hitch and the back just buckled almost to the rear seat. The hitch will disperse the impact across the rails more than without and have a better chance of less damage. Still would have been bad though. Same theory is used when recovering if you're stuck and some prefer a front hitch to a tow hook. distribute the weight so you won't damage anything. Keep it localized, and you'll be ripping something out. If someone is going fast enough to bend the rails you're screwed anyways, but if not, the hitch takes the blow, initally by the ball and tongue, and the force and if it's enough to fully hit you, is distributed into the hitch, which is quite strong and thusly into the rails. You would need enough force to put through the hitch and then into the rails to bend them, in which it would be written off anyways. Without the hitch, it would go into the this metal bumper behind the fascia, which is meant to crumple and cause more force into the back and rails as they're taking it directly rather than the heavy sides of the hitch bolted into the rail.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #33
Ravie
1999 WJ 

So some more things are happening finally. I talked with his ins today and they've decided they want to do a total loss, which is pretty ridiculous to me.. They gave me two options off the bat. 1: they cut me a check for their offered amount of $3475 or 2: I keep my WJ and they cut me a check for 2348 and I get a salvage title.

So I'm really at a crossroads here. On the one hand, I've got a completely rebuit 4.0, brand new brakes, no rust, and a vehicle whose B.S. I'm already familiar with. But it seems to always need work done to it and it still needs work as of right now.If I can get them to magically up the money and have them take it away then I can find something else that gets better gas mileage and doesn't constantly need things fixed...maybe. With the small amount of money I'd be getting I don't have a lot of options on good used vehicles that don't also have high mileage and issues. I did find a 62 Plymouth belvedere that'd sure be a but load of fun to have as a dd...

If I keep it, is my insurance premium gonna be higher?

Aside from that... If I do keep it I'm gonna need a new hatch since mine doesn't open currently, possibly a repaint which I can do with some help from a friend.

Already my 99 Laredo 4.0 isn't exactly the most sought after wj ever, so it isn't going to be worth a lot down the road anyway, so on the one hand salvage doesn't hurt much, right? Otoh if I let them buy it I have to try to get them to give me more money to make it worth it, and then find a replacement vehicle.

Ugh. Thoughts?
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #34
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravie View Post
So some more things are happening finally. I talked with his ins today and they've decided they want to do a total loss, which is pretty ridiculous to me.. They gave me two options off the bat. 1: they cut me a check for their offered amount of $3475 or 2: I keep my WJ and they cut me a check for 2348 and I get a salvage title.

So I'm really at a crossroads here. On the one hand, I've got a completely rebuit 4.0, brand new brakes, no rust, and a vehicle whose B.S. I'm already familiar with. But it seems to always need work done to it and it still needs work as of right now.If I can get them to magically up the money and have them take it away then I can find something else that gets better gas mileage and doesn't constantly need things fixed...maybe. With the small amount of money I'd be getting I don't have a lot of options on good used vehicles that don't also have high mileage and issues. I did find a 62 Plymouth belvedere that'd sure be a but load of fun to have as a dd...

If I keep it, is my insurance premium gonna be higher?

Aside from that... If I do keep it I'm gonna need a new hatch since mine doesn't open currently, possibly a repaint which I can do with some help from a friend.

Already my 99 Laredo 4.0 isn't exactly the most sought after wj ever, so it isn't going to be worth a lot down the road anyway, so on the one hand salvage doesn't hurt much, right? Otoh if I let them buy it I have to try to get them to give me more money to make it worth it, and then find a replacement vehicle.

Ugh. Thoughts?
Do a fair market value analysis. Check out other like vehicles for sale near your area, document the ads and forward it to them. The analysis can get you more money but note that they are offering less than what they can pay out in hopes that you will take it and settle.

If you take the salvage your vehicle will have been paid for and all you woukd need is a hatch. I see a dude on the classifieds parting out 5 WJs, get a new hatch and paint ir dont paint. Run that thing to the ground, if your worried abiut looks.....paint it. If not, dont.

If the driver did not have insurance, uninsured motorist has a celing of $3500.00

If yoy take
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #35
Ravie
1999 WJ 

I tried to do an analysis on my own bit there aren't a lot of exactly similar vehicles. Newer limiteds with less miles, and some complete matches that are absolute pieces of crap.

I'm thinking fix the hatch, slight lift, new tires, call it a day.
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #36
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravie View Post
I tried to do an analysis on my own bit there aren't a lot of exactly similar vehicles. Newer limiteds with less miles, and some complete matches that are absolute pieces of crap.

I'm thinking fix the hatch, slight lift, new tires, call it a day.
Yup.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.