Got rear ended today... :-( - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Got rear ended today... :-(

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
Lift it..drive with your hitch mount and ball...
Lol, huh?

Unread 05-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #17
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

Glad your ok and get a quick resolution.
- 2003 WJ Limited 4.7L 4x4, 3 inch IRO coil lift with Bilstein shocks, OME .5 inch spacers, adjustable IRO Track Bar. Beefy Tenneco Steering Stabilizer. 32 inch General Grabber AT2's, 5000k DDM Tuning HID lights. Magna Flow Cat-back exhaust system. Rola safari rack. IRO bump stops. Kevin's Offroad 2 1/4 A-Arm spacer.
bmandubj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravie View Post

Lol, huh?
I drive with my 10.5" drop ball and mount....
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #19
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Still nothing back yet. Got his original insurance company called just to find out he's switched companies (his wife did anyway) so I had to make a second claim with them.. Didn't hear anything back on Friday so we'll see Monday..
The insurance company at the time of the accident is who you need to deal with. The new insurance company doesn't have to do anything.

Sent from the ISS using laser beams.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #20
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post

The insurance company at the time of the accident is who you need to deal with. The new insurance company doesn't have to do anything.

Sent from the ISS using laser beams.
No, he had expired ins card with him...he's switched and didn't know it. His insurance isn't what he thought it was.
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #21
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

The new insurance company will be very happy about it LOL Glad it wasn't worse and you're ok. That's always the most important.

I always leave my hitch tongue in for this very reason. Typically it will minimize the damage to your vehicle, but cause a lot to the guy who hits you. Supposedly you're not by law to have it in, but I've never been bothered about it and many leave it in.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #22
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Got a prelim estimate last week. 2113. Got the call they're covering it all (plus rental car!) So I'm going in today for photos and stuff.

I'm going to ask them if they will install a hitch type bumper cover since I plan on putting a hitch on soon. We'll see what they say.

Our baby girl number 2 will be here any day, too. Then next weekend we're moving!

Crazy times.
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #23
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Quote:
I'm going to ask them if they will install a hitch type bumper cover since I plan on putting a hitch on soon. We'll see what they say.
Are you going to ask the insurance, or the shop? (or is the shop an approved shop that just does the work?)

Either way, talk to the shop and find out how much more you can pay out of pocket to make the switch.

But if I were in your situation, I would have the hatch fixed and have the rest of the $ given directly to you. You can likely find a hitch bumper in decent condition in a salvage yard.

Or buy a new aftermarket...I have never ordered here, but a quick google search yeilded:

http://www.discountbodyparts.com/cat...0Auto%20Parts)

$130.52 - Mid way down the page. You can install this yourself in 30 minutes.

Info from the site:

Replacement Rear Bumper Cover - Textured Rear Plastic OE Replacement Sold Individually 1-year Unlimited-mileage Warranty
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
BUMPER COVER, PLASTIC, TEXTURED
Replacement OE Comparable Bumper Cover is a high-quality replacement item for old or damaged factory unit at an affordable price. Perfect for your maintenance and restoration projects!

Notes:
•Includes bumper guards and hitch bezel

Replacement brand parts are the most affordable solution for your replacement needs! Replacement specializes in a wide range of OE comparable auto parts including body parts, lighting, electrical, brakes, suspension, intake, exhaust, cooling and heating parts. All Replacement brand items are backed by 1-year, unlimited-mileage warranty.

Fit Note: Textured Finish, With Hitch Bezel.
Finish: Textured
Material: Plastic
Type: OE replacement
Quantity Sold: Sold individually
Warranty: 1-year, unlimited-mileage warranty
Part Number: J760102
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
Ravie
1999 WJ 

You know, I don't understand that. Where are you guys that manage to just get money from insurance companies rather than getting them fixed somewhere? I was not given that option.
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #25
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I am not sure if laws vary by state, or if you just aren't asking the right questions when you speak with the insurance adjuster. They like to have everything wrapped up and have you sign their documents fairly quickly to prevent further liability.

Here in Utah, I have the right to have my vehicle repaired at any location I choose. Quite often, the insurance companies will have shops they contract with, or shops they trust do the work. I can drop the vehicle off at one of those shops, and have they just do the work - bill the insurance - and give me the car back. They often have a guarantee regarding the work they perform on the vehicle at the insurance companies preferred shop.

My father was in the auto body business for years, and I still know people that I trust and prefer. Rather than go to the insurance companies preferred shop where I don't know anyone, I can elect to receive the payment from insurance by check. I then use that money to pay any shop I choose. The insurance company does not guarantee the work of the shop I choose, but that doesn't matter to me. I know some pro's that I can trust.

This process can vary by insurance company, and possibly by state depending on if any specific laws govern the way the insurance companies are required to do business.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #26
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

That's like $400 to fix yourself.
When I was hit, I took it to the dealership for the highest quote possible. Then sent the quote to the insurance company and told them I wants the funds directly as I would use my own shop. Then I just kept the money and bought Jeep parts because it wasn't as bad.

If you dont ask the answer is always no

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #27
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
You know, I don't understand that. Where are you guys that manage to just get money from insurance companies rather than getting them fixed somewhere? I was not given that option.
some companies do not give cash pay outs and require that all work be done at their contracted shops with OEM parts.
some states do not allow cash pay outs either, but most everywhere does, it's usually the company that decides if it'll pay the owner or a repair directly.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #28
miami5th
2001 WJ 

Get a towing hitch installed and leave the ball on it at all times. That way when people rear end you they hit your hitch first and cause major damage to their vehicle instead of yours. My hitch has saved my truck several times from damage and resulted in significant damage to the bad driver.
miami5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #29
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

That's exactly why I leave mine installed at all times.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #30
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro View Post
That's exactly why I leave mine installed at all times.
I agree. Keep something in there. I lost a bike rack instead of my whole jeep. I took the pay out and took the bike rack to a welder and for 20 bucks had a bike rack fixed. Other guys insurance me Paid 500. Take the money and buy a hitch otherwise you can just be considered retarded.

That damage isn't bad. When my old WJ got hit the rear was pushed in so far the seat wouldn't stay folded up and the cargo cover didn't fit cause the whole jeep was 6 inches wider there. Amazingly I drove away. The truck that hit me did not however.

Sent from the icon of sin.
Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.