Got the new lift on yesterday! ...now dreaded rear shock noises!!! HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Got the new lift on yesterday! ...now dreaded rear shock noises!!! HELP!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 05-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
SirWilliam
2004 WJ 

Thumbs down Got the new lift on yesterday! ...now dreaded rear shock noises!!! HELP!

Well, we finally put on the 4.5" lift that I've had sitting in boxes at my office for like 4 months. We didn't run into to many issues other than the danged bolts in the top of the rear diff....they're a pain in the tail! It seems to drive pretty well considering it's not been aligned yet, but I'm getting both squeaks and some knocking from the rear shocks. I know this has been addressed, but in tons of different threads.

The lift is from Rusty's and it's running their shocks. I will upgrade to Bilsteins when I can, but for now, I just need to get it to be quiet so my wife won't kill me! Ideas?

Unread 05-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
D0dgeRam1500
2006 KJ Liberty 

My lift is doing that too. I am running Teraflex springs and Bilstein shocks. My old OME HD springs and my old Bilstein shocks didn't squeak.
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Lysdexic
2002 WJ 

Which kit? If it's the short arm lift you're probably stuck with it. My short arm front end was mad noisy, converting to long arm made a huge difference. Now I have to save up for the rear. Should have done long arm from the gate, whenever I cheap out it bites me in the ***.
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
qbny94
2002 WJ 

same man i installed my 2 inch BDS coil lift with the BDS shocks and now when my gear is in drive i have a KLUNK noise
qbny94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
SirWilliam
2004 WJ 

I'm about 85-90% sure it's the rear shocks. I know that's where the squeaking is coming from, but not sure on the clunk yet.
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

I thought it had something to do with the top rear bolt not being tight enough in the hole or something of that nature. Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm sure one of those members that has fixed it will chime in soon.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
aleet25
2003 WJ 

I had a similar thing happen to me. It turns out my bolts hiding the shocks on weren't tight enough. Tighten the hell out of them.
aleet25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.