Got the dreaded "Rear Rattle" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Got the dreaded "Rear Rattle"

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the pointer...I think I'm going to try and replace the ball joint in the A arm (assuming it's a back yard kind of replacement that doesn't require a lift). I've not done anything since my last post in this thread. Inspection came up during that period and we told the garage about the problem. They replaced the shocks under warranty but that didn't really do anything towards fixing the problem. I can't wiggle the shocks at all, but I don't think that should surprise me. Looking at the pics the shock is sandwiched between the two mounting points pretty well. Just need to get a source for the rear ball joint part and give it a shot. If it's not the fix, I'll look into new bolts as the JU link suggests.

Black Jeep Society - Black Jeep Club V2.0 #37 - Merry Wacko Jeep Club #37 - Metalhead Jeep Club #37 - 2.5L Low Output Jeep Club #37
Shinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

OK...needing help again. Replacing the rear control arm and the ball joint did squat to address the rattle problem. So, I bought one of those bolt/sleeve kits from Kevin's Off-road. Today I pulled the shocks out and started to compare things. I also had my wife drive the WJ around the block to tell me if she still heard the rattle. Nope, just some squeaking from the rear shocks being out. Cool, sounds like the shocks are the issue. As I said, I started looking at the shocks and it doesn't seem to me that replacing the sleeve in the shocks with the one from Kevin's kit. Looks to me like Kevin's sleeve will leave a lot of gap in the shock bushing. Hope someone can make sense of the pics...maybe I don't understand things correctly.

Here's the KOR sleeve laying on top of the bottom side of the shock. Looks about the same width:

Here it is standing next to the shock. The OD of the KOR sleeve is definitely smaller than the one currently in the shock while the ID looks to be about the same.

Here's the KOR bolt next to what I believe is an OEM bolt:

Here's the KOR bolt standing next to what I believe is an OEM bolt:

Here they are standing with a KOR sleeve on each:

Black Jeep Society - Black Jeep Club V2.0 #37 - Merry Wacko Jeep Club #37 - Metalhead Jeep Club #37 - 2.5L Low Output Jeep Club #37
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #18
206wj
2002 WJ 

The problem comes from the slight taper on the factory bolts. It gives the shock a little wiggle room. I would just try the new bolts nice and right. That's what fixed mine.
Factory 242HD, 4.5 Lift with LAs, 285/70/17s, OME SS, Arb Front bumper with WARN 9.5xp with MasterPull synthetic line, Piaa 550 Driving lights, JCR sliders, Custom rear bumper with tire carrier, and piaa 510 backup light, ARB, 4.56 Gears, Viair 200psi OBA kit with dual tanks, LED rock lights,
206wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I replaced my rear lower shock bolts and the rattle was still there, loud as ever.

I finally fixed it tonight. The rear passenger lower shock mount was wallowed out about 1/8". Even though I had slammed the bolt on with an impact wrench, it was still moving up and down. Welded a washer onto the mount where the ID was the same as the bolt OD. No more noise.
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #20
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Will try the bolts themselves and see what happens. I'm not a welder so I'd have to find someone in order to give the washer idea a try.

Was interesting to see how easily the shock moved on the bolt once I took the top bolt out. Could really wiggle the shock at the bottom. Not side to side as much as up and down. When I tried this previously, I'd done it with the top bolt in and couldn't budge it. I took that as a sign that the shock mounting was ok.

Unread 07-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #21
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Put the bolts in today...and it looks like the rattle is gone! Thank God! Now to figure why I'm getting a whine from the right front wheel (more so when turning in one direction than the other)

Unread 07-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #22
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Wheel bearing.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #23
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1
Wheel bearing.
That a pretty easy DIY job? I'm sure I've done it on a Duster but that was many moons ago (in the mid '80s)

Unread 07-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #24
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

CV joint?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #25
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Wheel bearing.
On both sides! Not bad for a vehicle with 120K+ miles on it. Think we got out money's worth out of them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.