Got the dreaded "Rear Rattle" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Got the dreaded "Rear Rattle"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 04-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Got the dreaded "Rear Rattle"

Have known about this for just about a year. Last year at inspection time, the WJ needed rear shocks. Shortly after the rattle from the rear showed it's ugly head. It's the wife's DD so I told her take it back to the inspection garage and tell them to look into it. I rarely drive it so, didn't much care. She never took it back.

Fast forward a year and I'm now driving it for work to let her use my Camry getting to her school about 60 mi away (saves on gas).

So, of course the rattle bugs the living hell out of me. Researched it here and it seemed like a fairly common problem....having to do with bolts used and new shocks.

Changed the oil the other day and figured I'd pull a rear wheel to check it out. Bottom bolts look good and tight with the bracket pulled up on each side of the shock knuckle. Top, however, I'm not sure. It looks like the bushing is taking up the slack. Have a look at the pics.

Pulled the top bolt:

Top shock knuckle:

Shock installed (I did get the torque wrench out and tighten em down to 85 ft lbs, which is 5 ft lbs over spec):

Black Jeep Society - Black Jeep Club V2.0 #37 - Merry Wacko Jeep Club #37 - Metalhead Jeep Club #37 - 2.5L Low Output Jeep Club #37
Shinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
whosyadadie02

Try sandwiching washers on both sides to preload them... from what I herd it's a common problem
whosyadadie02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Mine looked much like that after a shock change. I think if they were really the culprit of the rattle, they'd look a LOT more worn.

Just based on the natural axle travel and shock mouting angle, the shock has to rotate slightly from a 2 o'clock to a 7 o'clock position as seen by the wear on yours.

If the bolt were loose enough to make a rattle as described, I think you'd see gouging on the bolt as well and perhaps some ovals forming on the sleeve.

I only suggest this because I have the same annoying knock over road imperfections and my bolts are tight. I tried the washers as well with no change.
I'm thinking upper ball joint.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Could also be rear sway bar end links. Try removing the links and zip-tying the bar up so it doesn't flop around. Go for a drive.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosyadadie02 View Post
Try sandwiching washers on both sides to preload them... from what I herd it's a common problem
K...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Mine looked much like that after a shock change. I think if they were really the culprit of the rattle, they'd look a LOT more worn.
And they're only a year old...would be hard to believe that they'd be trash so quickly.

Quote:
If the bolt were loose enough to make a rattle as described, I think you'd see gouging on the bolt as well and perhaps some ovals forming on the sleeve.
the bolts weren't loose at all and I couldn't physical move the shock from side to side.

Quote:
I only suggest this because I have the same annoying knock over road imperfections and my bolts are tight. I tried the washers as well with no change.
I'm thinking upper ball joint.
Sheesh, I hope not...just put a grand into it last yr to get through inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Could also be rear sway bar end links. Try removing the links and zip-tying the bar up so it doesn't flop around. Go for a drive.
Good idea....will give that a try as well. The ones on the WJ are the originals. They seemed tight as well but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks guys....

Black Jeep Society - Black Jeep Club V2.0 #37 - Merry Wacko Jeep Club #37 - Metalhead Jeep Club #37 - 2.5L Low Output Jeep Club #37
Unread 04-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
whosyadadie02

Kk
whosyadadie02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
jerrod710
2003 WJ 

Rear upper ball joints
jerrod710 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrod710 View Post
Rear upper ball joints
x2, but for clarity, there's only 1

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
206wj
2002 WJ 

my rattle was from the spring seated in the lower isolator a bit oddly and hitting... Replaced it and no more sound!
206wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I finally got around to trying some things today. Disconnected the rear sway bar which left it and the end links hang free. No difference. Rattle still there.

Don't have much more time to look into it this weekend...have to drive to NC tomorrow.

Unread 04-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
13bullets
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinner View Post
Don't have much more time to look into it this weekend...GET to drive to NC tomorrow.
Fixed it for ya.
13bullets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

My wife told me last night that she heard a rattle coming from the rear when she was driving home. I grabbed the roof bars and tossed it side to side. All four of the rear endlinks sides need to be rebuild. I have the bushings, I just need to rebuild them. But we couldn't get it to make the loudest noise until I stood on the hitch and jumped. Sure enough, it is the top drivers side shock mount. It looks like I will be searching for some stiffer bushings, or else trying the washer sandwich method that everyone uses.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13bullets View Post
Fixed it for ya.
I actually like going down to NC...but the work really sucked. A lot of manuel labor. Shoulda sent a couple new guys (or a monkey). I make too much money to be wasted doing that crap. Was sold a bill of goods that it was going to be good training on a piece of equipment I've had a class on but am not "certified" on. That takes experience installing and working on the machine. Neither of which I'd gotten this week. About all I got out of the week was some OT. Nothing wrong with that, but it didn't move me towards being certified like it should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
My wife told me last night that she heard a rattle coming from the rear when she was driving home. I grabbed the roof bars and tossed it side to side. All four of the rear endlinks sides need to be rebuild. I have the bushings, I just need to rebuild them. But we couldn't get it to make the loudest noise until I stood on the hitch and jumped. Sure enough, it is the top drivers side shock mount. It looks like I will be searching for some stiffer bushings, or else trying the washer sandwich method that everyone uses.
When I crawled under mine, I noticed that I added the washers when I installed the addco swaybar.

Unread 04-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #14
robby65
2007 XK Commander 

My rattle was the bottom drivers side rear shock moving.
I took bolt out and rotated the shock 180* and no more rattle.
Laid under the rear of the jeep and pushed up and down and saw the bottom moving.

They're monroe shocks in the rear
robby65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

For anyone in the future, just found this... My rear passenger shock has been rattling like crazy. Monroe shocks did it and my brand new Bilstein HD's are worse.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...ad.php?t=36828

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.