Got a delima - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Got a delima

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
nitroboy88
2003 WJ 

Got a delima

Ok so I do know that its gonna start a war and is more about personal preference but have any of you guys had issues with the V8? I am in the market for my next WJ, I have had one in the past it was a 99 Limited. The issues I had was like you could drive it for any period of time one day I just went around the block and it did it, but I would not start for like 30 mins to a hour. I want an Inline 6 because I know they are trust worthy but the V8 is cheaper to purchase from the get go. Is there a year with the v8's that are more reliable than the 99's or are they all kinda sketchy? Help would be appreciated and no fighting lol just beer drinking and talking

nitroboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
braddf
2001 WJ 

The V8 can be a very reliable engine provided the po took good care of it. Just have to find a well maintained one with maintenance records.
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Really?

*looking to buy 3" springs or swap my 4.5" springs for your 3" springs -- PM me*
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
nitroboy88
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
Really?
Really what?
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroboy88 View Post
Really what?
As in, you're really starting a thread about this topic? This is one of the most pointless, beaten, and subjective topics on this forum.

*looking to buy 3" springs or swap my 4.5" springs for your 3" springs -- PM me*
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
braddf
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
As in, you're really starting a thread about this topic? This is one of the most pointless, beaten, and subjective topics on this forum.
He's new to the forum. Might as well try and help him out. If he has been here a while I could see acting this way towards him but its one of his first posts so lets cut him some slack
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddf View Post
He's new to the forum. Might as well try and help him out. If he has been here a while I could see acting this way towards him but its one of his first posts so lets cut him some slack
Gonna have to agree with skain on this one. The OP has been here 9 months, and a little searching, with very little effort, would yield plenty of insight on the 4.0 vs. 4.7 debate. Smells of attention whoring to me...If the op knows his thread may start a debate, then he already knows the arguments...

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
nitroboy88
2003 WJ 

I grew up around XJ's and the WJ i had left a bad taste in my mouth with the V8. As I said in the post no fighting looking to find opinions no one is forcing you to post so stop being attention whores if your gonna complain about the topic just move on or give a legit usefull opinion, yes I'm new I got on this forum in the beginning but found a XJ forum that i have been using. The wife and I recently decided that we want to up grade to a WJ so figured I would start using this forum again since the other one I had been on was strictly XJ's. Should be able to figure it out with how many posts I have.
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
nitroboy88
2003 WJ 

And 3dog I was seeing if the previous problem with my old WJ was a common problem or an occurrence with the one I had and if they had any other known issues thats a big enough deal to stick with the 4.0 so your attention whoring since you'd rather complain about it then offer your .02 cents on the subject.
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
rep-tile
2004 WJ 

The 4.7L is a Chrysler engine. The 4.0 is an AMC engine. Big difference.

As a matter of fact, the 4L is the best engine AMC every made; they're known to go 300-400 Kmi and more without rebuild. It's a hydraulic lifter engine, not an overhead cam like the Chrysler one. It can take quite a lot of abuse and even being overheated. The only 4L you want to avoid are the 2000-2001 years when the 0331 head had a casting defect and was prone to cracking.

Not saying the V8 is a bad engine, but probably not as strong.
rep-tile is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #11
briandor
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep-tile View Post
The 4.7L is a Chrysler engine. The 4.0 is an AMC engine. Big difference.

As a matter of fact, the 4L is the best engine AMC every made; they're known to go 300-400 Kmi and more without rebuild. It's a hydraulic lifter engine, not an overhead cam like the Chrysler one. It can take quite a lot of abuse and even being overheated. The only 4L you want to avoid are the 2000-2001 years when the 0331 head had a casting defect and was prone to cracking.

Not saying the V8 is a bad engine, but probably not as strong.
I'll add that the head issue is overdone. Technically the head changed mid 2002 and I think it also applied to 1999 as well but even still if you can get a good deal on one in those years and it doesn't have signs of a cracked head I wouldn't walk away from it. I have a 2001 with the supposed bad head casting and it currently sits at over 227,000 miles without any head problems. There are many more WJs running around with the "bad head" that are just fine than heads that actually went bad.
briandor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #12
rep-tile
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandor View Post
I'll add that the head issue is overdone. Technically the head changed mid 2002 and I think it also applied to 1999 as well but even still if you can get a good deal on one in those years and it doesn't have signs of a cracked head I wouldn't walk away from it. I have a 2001 with the supposed bad head casting and it currently sits at over 227,000 miles without any head problems. There are many more WJs running around with the "bad head" that are just fine than heads that actually went bad.
I believe not all 2001 yr models are affected as the casting issue was fixed. While they corrected it, they didn't change its name, the 0331 casting number remained the same for later models. Yes, the 99 yr models would have the casting defect if they have the coil pack. Usually problems occur when engine overheats, otherwise there should be no problem.
rep-tile is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
briandor
2004 WJ 

I can't remember where I saw it but it was that it was changed late in the 2002 model year. Either way it's fairly easy to tell whether it's the new casting or not just by removing the oil fill cap and shining a flashlight in there. If it's the re-cast head it will have TUPY cast into it.
briandor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
nitroboy88
2003 WJ 

So its pretty much gonna be a toss of the quarter if I go with the Inline 6 vs the v8? Cuz I think the V8's had some head issues also? I just want something that I dont have to keep dumping money into the motor because its gonna be a dual purpose crawler/daily driver for us. I've never heard or knew of the In-lines having a head issue lol
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
braddf
2001 WJ 

Would the cracked head defect for an 01 cause antifreeze to leak out?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.