Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Good front rotor choices?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  acgenrich6777 
#1 ·
I put Centric's mid-line rotors & Fleet Duty para-aramid (kevlar) pads on the Jeep a little over a year ago, probably 10,000 miles ago.
I've now got *bad* brake shake, the rotors look visibly worn and I'm left wondering "wtf?"
Pads were installed with lube, everything was cleaned up nicely. I usually use a torque wrench to put wheels on, don't remember specifically but I'd think I did the same this time.
So... if I'm going to replace the rotors, what do I replace them with that will hold up a little better? There are enough options even within a brand to make my head spin.
I live in the mountains, so yeah, brakes take a beating.

#7 ·
what ever has a decent warranty and just change them out every time they start to get wobbly Autozone ftw.

#9 ·
Talked to my local O'Reilly while on my lunch. They have the Bosch QuietCast Part # 16010140 in stock(could order if not) and price was the same as amazon. also said they are guaranteed to not warp. And for pads either Wagner ThermoQuiet(Bosch made) semi-met/ceramic, or Performance friction pads and they have the same deal as Autozone where as long as they are not warn to metal you can turn them in for warranty and get new free pads.

I have a similar thread now inquiring about crown rotors I found while looking for rotor options, and will be going this route based on local parts and warranty and recommendation by Jeeples and others

:cheers2:

#10 ·
The Fleet Duty pads are quiet. They grab well at any temperature. I can ride the brakes like a ******* and they haven't faded on me yet (though, this may be how my rotors took a warp or obtained a thickness variation). They do wear rotors faster than other pads, and they are dusty. I am unlikely to buy any other pad when these are available. I have heard wonderful things about Black Magic, EBC and other pads - at 3x the price. Fleet Duty is everything I need out of a brake pad at stock tire sizes.
Personally I don't mind the dust, as the Jeep is not a particularly nice specimen and is my DD / beater.

I'm going to re-torque my wheels with the torque wrench to be sure I have them even. The vibration is "less" now that I remembered "Hey. Tires need to be inflated on occasion"...
My auto maintenance game has really suffered since having a little one.
Will post up when / if I get around to replacing rotors. I'm likely to go with the Bosch rotors with a warranty at the store. Usually I go Amazon or Rockauto but I may actually use the warranty, here.

#11 ·
Contact your local dealership if you have the Teves brake caliper setup. They will have the part number for the akebono brake set up. If I remember correctly they were not that expensive either.
Also go online there is a link that will tell you what the caliper is made of, the brake pad material, and rotor material as well. It is a good idea to make sure you don't mix and match materials that over power the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.