Going to look at 2000 WJ with 200,000 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Going to look at 2000 WJ with 200,000

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 06-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
bigislandhikers
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Going to look at 2000 WJ with 200,000

Seller wants $2,700. Jeep has the 4 liter engine with 200,000 miles with select trac TC. I own a XJ and a ZJ but not very familiar with the 2000 grand Cherokees.

Any specific issues with this model I need to check out before buying? Are they basically ZJs with a different trim and look?

Not sure about the price either. Thinking maybe $2,100.

Thanks
BIH

bigislandhikers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Check out this thread: The Ultimate WJ Grand Cherokee Buyer's Guide

In Michigan, you need to worry about rust. I imagine there will be plenty. That being said, I wouldn't offer over $2,000 for a jeep with that many miles.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
bigislandhikers
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Chris. Great link. I will go over. Ad says a little rust but cannot tell from picture.
Unread 06-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

I wouldn't pay more than $1,500 with zero rust.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
bigislandhikers
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918 View Post
I wouldn't pay more than $1,500 with zero rust.

Ive been looking for several months. Seems like anything around here in that price range is junk.
Unread 06-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandhikers View Post
Seller wants $2,700. Jeep has the 4 liter engine with 200,000 miles with select trac TC. I own a XJ and a ZJ but not very familiar with the 2000 grand Cherokees.

Any specific issues with this model I need to check out before buying? Are they basically ZJs with a different trim and look?

Not sure about the price either. Thinking maybe $2,100.

Thanks
BIH

No, they are not ZJs with a different look, which is unfortunate. The WJ got new steering box, new suspension design front and rear, new distributorless ignition system, is littered with torx, metric, and standard assortment bolts all over, has a more complicated exhaust system, a more complicated key security system, more complicated HVAC system, etc. etc. I could go on all day about the differences. Once you own a ZJ and then go to a WJ and start working on it you really see all the changes they made, 90% of which were for the worse in my honest opinion. Every single thing I've done to my WJ (engine replacement, full suspension, receiver hitch, fighting death wobble, electrical, etc.) has been a nightmare compared to my '96 ZJ.

The Daimler era destroyed Jeeps and it's no more apparent than in the WJ. These things are littered with problems inside and out. My mother had one that she bought with only 36,000 on the odometer and the floorboard filled with water every time it rained due to a faulty welded seam in the unibody. Mine hasn't got that issue but it's got everything else. But I got it for a song....

I wouldn't pay more than $2,000 for a WJ and then only if it's flawless as far as you can tell. With ZJs going for that price I couldn't convince myself to pay more than that for a less reliable model.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #7
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandhikers View Post

Ive been looking for several months. Seems like anything around here in that price range is junk.
Damn, I'd say keep looking, but you're having trouble finding one in your area. And as far as WX, there will always be people who don't like a certain vehicle. Don't let that discourage you. I love the WJ model, hate the ZJ model. I was a Chrysler/Jeep mechanic for years and the WJ's are great vehicles. Of course they have their problems, every vehicle does. Good luck in your search.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
MudPit
2001 WJ 

Man, it's crazy how much of a difference location makes with these prices.
Unread 06-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
tsak01a
2004 WJ 

With real estate too
tsak01a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
Acc0919mc
2000 WJ 

If you havent looked at it yet, when you do, Look under it. Make sure you arent buying a rocker panel-less POS.
Acc0919mc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 06:13 AM   #11
bigislandhikers
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acc0919mc View Post
If you havent looked at it yet, when you do, Look under it. Make sure you arent buying a rocker panel-less POS.
Jeep looked nice in the picture. Looked underneath and it was rusted out. The rockers were completely gone beneath the plastic covering. You and ChrisHager called it on the rust.

Thanks
BIH
Unread 06-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #12
JMZ101586
2004 WJ 

Rockers are only 30 per side assuming its just the outter. Grind it cut it off and weld in replacement. Its not that bad.
JMZ101586 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.