gears 10/11 27 or 56 - Stumped? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > gears 10/11 27 or 56 - Stumped?

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 05-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Stock axle'd D30's are "ok" up to a 32 in tire or so... for the average wheeler
Anything above that, and you really need to look at better axles, sleeves or trusses

Many people are running the stocker on 33/35 tires, and getting away with the occasional snapped CV..
You just have to be real, real easy on the skinny pedal.
This pretty much hits the main points.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
lance-tek
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Stock axle'd D30's are "ok" up to a 32 in tire or so... for the average wheeler
Anything above that, and you really need to look at better axles, sleeves or trusses

Many people are running the stocker on 33/35 tires, and getting away with the occasional snapped CV..
You just have to be real, real easy on the skinny pedal.
so, If I stick to my plan I'll be OK then...

I have 2 sets of rims,
one for wheeling which has 255/75/17 BFG MTs
one for street (light wheeling) which WILL BE 315/70/17 GY Duratracs

Down the road I can upgrade the front axle and maybe sell my upgraded ring and pinion for a few bucks I just need a bigger area to work or a cleaned out garage... right now all of my stuff/gear from my fun trip overseas is filling up a LARGE chunk of my garage... you'd be suprised how much stuff you acquire when you leave home for a year...
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm I am running 31's on the WJ. On the YJ though if we throw chromoly shafts in the D30 it can usually take up to about a 37 inch tire.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #19
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

I run 4.10's on 245/75R15's, so I'd go at least 4.56's or 4.88's as recommended by others. Also, you are right. There are no 4.27 diffs for our rigs. Since I ran 4.56's on my 4.0L XJ with 32's, I'd go with 4.88's on 33's or higher. It is quite the thick ring gear and small pinion for the D30 though. I'm sure there are thousands of wranglers that have run that setup anyways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.