JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   gears 10/11 27 or 56 - Stumped? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/gears-10-11-27-56-stumped-1522654/)

lance-tek 05-13-2013 06:14 AM

gears 10/11 27 or 56 - Stumped?
 
:confused: I am trying to learn about the ring and pinion gears in an axle diff. :confused:

What I am really trying to figure out is what I should put in my WJ axles. I can't find a Dana 30 4:27 so, I think it's out of the running.

I am swapping my D35 for a D44a (and buying armor for it) and also regearing it to run 315-70-17s which will need at least a 4:10 on my WJ but maybe the 4:56 would be better for crawling and worse for the Highway?

What is the minute difference between the 4:10 and the 4:11 gears? Is it just the manufacturer spec or does it truly have an impact?

Thanks,

-lance

Siva283 05-13-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lance-tek (Post 15426230)
:confused: I am trying to learn about the ring and pinion gears in an axle diff. :confused:

What I am really trying to figure out is what I should put in my WJ axles. I can't find a Dana 30 4:27 so, I think it's out of the running.

I am swapping my D35 for a D44a (and buying armor for it) and also regearing it to run 315-70-17s which will need at least a 4:10 on my WJ but maybe the 4:56 would be better for crawling and worse for the Highway?

What is the minute difference between the 4:10 and the 4:11 gears? Is it just the manufacturer spec or does it truly have an impact?

Thanks,

-lance

There is not enough of a difference between 4.10 & 4.56 to justify it. You will not notice it. Go for 4.10 you will be happy with that.
The difference between 4.10 & 4.11 has to do with the size of the ring gear. The front dif is slightly smaller than the rear. A lot of vehicles come from the factory with 4.10 in the front and 4.11 in the rear. It won't cause any issues. It is only a 1 percent difference. You are safe as high as a 5 percent difference.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

ratmonkey 05-13-2013 07:34 AM

That tire is technically a 35. 4.10's will definitely not cut it in a 4.0 wj.
You want 4.88's.

veiri86 05-13-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratmonkey (Post 15426469)
That tire is technically a 35. 4.10's will definitely not cut it in a 4.0 wj.
You want 4.88's.

X2

And when you buy the 4.10, few weeks later, you would wish if you bought the 4.56, so go right away to 4.56 or 4.88

Siva283 05-13-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratmonkey (Post 15426469)
That tire is technically a 35. 4.10's will definitely not cut it in a 4.0 wj.
You want 4.88's.

My Bad I thought that worked out to a 33 inch tire. I also keep forgetting how my heavier my 01 WJ is than my YJ.

USFORCES 05-13-2013 08:45 AM

I'm running 285/ 33 inch tires, Just waiting on 4.56 gears they should be be here any day :)
Talk to Kolak, He sells the nitro gears. "They are the highest quality forgings on the market the D44A sets are properly drilled for the 7/16" ring gear bolts used on the later WJs. They are the only ones that have 7/16" holes. Everybody else makes you use a funky adapter."

lance-tek 05-13-2013 08:49 AM

OK... now its between 4:56 and 4:88. At least I was able to rule out the 4:11 :)

veiri86 05-13-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lance-tek
OK... now its between 4:56 and 4:88. At least I was able to rule out the 4:11 :)

I was on the same ship for long time till last week, then I went for 4.56, ordered the nitro ones, as almost everybody recommends them if you are planning to run 33

Siva283 05-13-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lance-tek (Post 15426755)
OK... now its between 4:56 and 4:88. At least I was able to rule out the 4:11 :)

If you go 4.88 it will give you a little room to grow

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

texlurch 05-13-2013 10:16 AM

Keep in mind on the D30, 4:56 and 4:88 have tiny pinions. That will be your weak point.

lance-tek 05-13-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texlurch (Post 15427095)
Keep in mind on the D30, 4:56 and 4:88 have tiny pinions. That will be your weak point.

I'd love to swap the front but, I am learning as I go and I don't know how to modify anything to fit onto the WJ. I only have my garage to work in too (I have a HOA in my sub division too). If anyone is interested in helping me learn I'll gladly get better axles :-)

skain8 05-13-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texlurch (Post 15427095)
Keep in mind on the D30, 4:56 and 4:88 have tiny pinions. That will be your weak point.

The small pinion will be the least of his problems. ;)

texlurch 05-13-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skain8 (Post 15427231)
The small pinion will be the least of his problems. ;)

true, true.

lance-tek 05-13-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skain8 (Post 15427231)

The small pinion will be the least of his problems. ;)

Can you elaborate on this statement for me? I'm pretty new to suspension/ drivetrains... ignorance is not bliss in this situation :(

texlurch 05-13-2013 11:03 AM

Stock axle'd D30's are "ok" up to a 32 in tire or so... for the average wheeler
Anything above that, and you really need to look at better axles, sleeves or trusses

Many people are running the stocker on 33/35 tires, and getting away with the occasional snapped CV..
You just have to be real, real easy on the skinny pedal.


The time now is 09:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.