Gear selector lighting inop. Faulty electroluminescent inverter. What will work? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Gear selector lighting inop. Faulty electroluminescent inverter. What will work?

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 09-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
JTS97Z28

Gear selector lighting inop. Faulty electroluminescent inverter. What will work?

I know some guys on here will say who cares that the gear selector lights dont work, but I personally like all my lights to work. So I have been getting my recently acquired 02 Overland in tip top shape and my next small project is to get the gear selector lights to work again. After tearing the center console apart I realized that unfortunately there are not any bulbs in there for the Limited and Overland equipped quadradrive vehicles. Instead they have an electroluminescent light pad similar to the gauges. There is 12V power going into the little black box inverter thats mounted in the shifter bezel area, but nothing coming out. So obviously I have a faulty EL inverter. I would rather keep things simple and just swap that inverter out instead of installing my own LED's or something like that. Instead of buying an entire shifter bezel used on ebay or something and using only the inverter from it (and hoping that its a good one), is there any other inverter than i can buy from an eletronics store or ebay or something that will work? I researched a few threads and someone did mention just using a different inverter, but he gave no other details and im not that smart to know exactly which aftermarket one will work. I see tons of electroluminescent strips on ebay that come with inverters, but I have no clue if those would work for this OEM application.

Thanks for any tips.

James

JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Let me check my parts bin I may have one and I'll test it. This will be the whole thing's lights and whatever is attached to it.
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
JTS97Z28

^^^ thanks very much. I'm sure your familiar but its the small black box (kind of under the area that says "quadradrive") and has a black and blue wire going into it. Almost looks like a relay. It can be pried out of its location with a screw driver if needed, and the electroluminescent sheet just pulls right off of the inverter. If you have a working replacement inverter I will gladly buy it from you or whatever else you will in life with it if not just the inverter itself.
Thanks,
James
Unread 09-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
wickedwj99
1999 WJ 

Just go down to radio shack buy a strip of cut to length led bulb cut out the black box and wire in the led lights blue is pos black neg. Not to sound too kleeshay but I just did it during lunch on Friday.
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
JTS97Z28

^^^ yeah that's my last resort option. Only reason being is that I know the brightness and color will likely be slightly off if I add custom lighting in there. So to start I want to either just replace the inverter box to get the original electroluminescent light pad working, otherwise try to find an aftermarket replacement inverter that will work.
I will definitely keep that it mind though thanks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.