gauges all dead, lights all on - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > gauges all dead, lights all on

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #16
hpalmatier

2000 Jeep grand cherokee electrical problems

i am encountering the same electrical problems that a lot of other jeep owners are encountering. gauges going haywire, all my warning lights on, windows only working when the car is in the on position, but not once it starts up..command center is down. none of the buttons on my steering wheel work, and my ac and heat when on and in the vent position will blow through the defrosters and the vents and will switch back and forth. we have put thousands into this and still havent found an answer anywhere. put a new battery in, cleaned terminals, changed the ignition switch. we are getting a p1686 code. if anyone has a resolution, please let us know. the dealer couldnt even figure this problem out. help?!?!

hpalmatier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #17
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpalmatier View Post
i am encountering the same electrical problems that a lot of other jeep owners are encountering. gauges going haywire, all my warning lights on, windows only working when the car is in the on position, but not once it starts up..command center is down. none of the buttons on my steering wheel work, and my ac and heat when on and in the vent position will blow through the defrosters and the vents and will switch back and forth. we have put thousands into this and still havent found an answer anywhere. put a new battery in, cleaned terminals, changed the ignition switch. we are getting a p1686 code. if anyone has a resolution, please let us know. the dealer couldnt even figure this problem out. help?!?!
Have you been looking for a bad ground?

Search for your P11686 code, then compare what has been done to your Jeep to what has fixed other Jeeps......

Here is just one such thread that I found,

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=462082
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #18
notlegend

Update:

Replaced instrument panel, worked for a month;
Replaced power windows control, worked for a month;
Then the problem came back again, still no codes read from ECU, was told to replace clockspring, PCM etc.

I sold it.
notlegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #19
p3dr0jeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My gauges all die ... Everything works great in the cluster exept the gauges ... Please help
p3dr0jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
Rocklobster
2004 WJ 

Check the wires in the front door boots for damage, and as said the battery,connections,and grounds.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

I am not saying this is the problem with any of these Jeeps, but on mine the main wire harness from the fuse box in the engine compartment goes through the firewall to a junction block behind the passengers side kick panel. There are 2 big connectors, approx 50 pins, on the junction block and the harness from the fuse box is the top connector. Well some how mine got all corroded and shorted out various wires causing all sorts of problems. Just something for everyone to check.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #22
radryan505
2002 WJ 

I had a lot of these same problems when up in the mountains and had to get my father in law to tow me home. He said it was something with the relays and the fuzes under the hood. All the mud puddles i go threw have got everything all dirty and lose. So today I am check it all out. We havent found the exact problem yet but... If this helps anyone. But my car keeps dying. My gauges will be going crazy as I drive then out of left field the car will die. We are thinking there is an open in the wiring that is happening when I hit bumps and such.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8...banner-1-1.jpg

Fetal Panic Ink---- Custom Shirts and Vinyl Decals----Fetalpanicink.com or Facebook Fetal Panic Ink.
radryan505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #23
Dysan
1999 WJ 

I am having these same issues, but have noticed that if I put the key to the On position with the driver door closed and I roll the window down, I don't have the issue. I am hoping I have pin pointed the area where the possible short is. Will update when I finally have time to actually tear into the driver's door and kick panel. Will probably replace the bad front speakers while I am in there too.
Dysan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
zeltech

2012 - Jan.

I had this exact issue on a Jeep 2003 Grand Cherokee.

"- Gauges do not work, go to zero
- Odometer does not count mileage
- All warning lights are lit up
- No AC
- No Electric Windows
- Never Stalled the engine"

Headlights work fine,blinkers work fine.

I can tell you this.
I did nothing,but only clean out my battery terminals,because i had seen some corrosion going on.
Battery was only a year old.

After cleaning that, everything worked like a charm
No more further issues.

Definitely, on jeeps, Battery terminals need to be cleaned all the time for less issues to occur.
Always check that first when something electronic fails.

Zel
zeltech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #25
wikkid237
2012 WK 

lllll
wikkid237 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.