gauges all dead, lights all on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > gauges all dead, lights all on

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 05-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
jay2msft
1999 WJ 

Wj gauges all dead, lights all on

I encountered a problem that seems to be popular: gauges all dead, lights all came on the instrumental panel.

It first happened two weeks ago but when I arrived at an auto shop, it was gone and the mechanic could not reproduce the problem. Four days ago, it happened again. I took it to an auto shop again. The mechanic chacked the wires, gounds, connectors etc. carefully in the past three days and could not find anything wrong.

I searched here and did not get a solution. Below is what I searched from another forum (http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7811_102...tentMain;posts).
"- Gauges do not work, go to zero
- Odometer does not count mileage
- No AC
- No Electric Windows
- Never Stalled the engine
- P1687 and P1686 are the errors stated on Odometer

Normally I do hear a "click" noise on passenger side before this happens.

Normally I do solve this problem by cutting off the battery for one night and in the morning everything works perfectly.

I'm on the mood to solve this problem as I like the car as it is safe and confortable."
I felt really desperate after I reading all the discussions because no solid solution was provided after the users took their WJs to garage or dealders. Can anyone who met with the same problem provide some help?

jay2msft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

How old is your battery? Jeeps like strong batteries and will have weird issues when one is getting towards the end of its life. I had gauge problems similar to yours (flashing on and off) just before I replaced my battery.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

I agree with 85IrocZ-28 and if you haven't cleaned your terminals yet do so and make sure you have a good solid connection. My gauges went haywire like a UFO was hovering over my Jeep, so I cleaned my terminals and all was good. However, my battery also died a week or two after that so...
Unread 05-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
jay2msft
1999 WJ 

Thanks. My battery was replaced in Dec 2009. I'd check the terminals again.

What I read from forums is even after replacing BCM, PCM or cluster, the problem would come back. I fear that.
Unread 05-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
CarlJH
2003 WJ 

when you clean the terminals make sure all the ground points are checked as well.
CarlJH is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
jay2msft
1999 WJ 

Thanks, CalJH. I forgot to mention that with all the symptoms, it was driveable. One temporaty solution for some people was to disconnect the negative terminal and reconnect it later, it could get back to normal for a few hours or a couple of days.
Unread 05-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
jay2msft
1999 WJ 

Update:

I have a reputable mechanic checked all the wires. He found nothing and suggested I bring it to a dealer 'cause it seemed a PCM or BCM issue.

On my way back, most of time, all gauges pointed to zero. And check engine light, check gauges light, ABS, brake, air bag and a key-like icon, virtually every light was on. The power window did not work. The fan could work but the a/c not.

For a few seconds, randomly, some lights were out, but the air bag light was always on. And, the power window worked for a while when I could hear some clicking noise from power window buttons. The speedometer and tachometer also went back to normal for a few seconds only.

This is exactly what many other 90s WJ owners experienced. What frustrated me most is that I have not seen one solution to this issue.
Unread 05-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
jay2msft
1999 WJ 

I found another victim from Edmunds.com. Hope it helps solve the problem.

Quote:
479 of 481 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems by cathalynn Apr 08, 2011 (10:10 am)
have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, v6, 4.0l. In January 2011 my children took my Jeep from mild weather conditions to snow. When they turned on the jeep the next morning it worked fine but when they stopped to eat and started back up these problems occurred:
1. No gauges
2. No electric windows, power locks either.
3. No overhead console
4. No air conditioning...works but not cold.

They brought it home and dropped it off. They next morning everything was fine. A couple of days later my battery was dead. I decided to purchase a new battery thinking this was the problem. A few days later traveling down the road all gauges quit. I found a place to pull over and just before they popped on again. A while later again they stopped. I was upset and jiggled the ignition back and forth...it started working. Then the new battery was dead. Charged it and it worked for a week. If left more then 2 days without starting the battery dies. So we checked the alternator, it was fine. So my next jiggle of the ignition didn't work..frustrated I opened the door and the gauges came up. I hired a electrical person to work on it. 1.Switches fine 2. Ignition shouldn't be the problem because the engine is not dieing. 3. He found that when the car is sitting without ignition on the front doors are drawing electric from the battery...a large amount..enough to make the battery die. When the battery is low opened right door (front passenger) shut clicking noise. Sat in the Jeep with the key off backglass heater light was lite up on the dash. Then it switched to the overdrive light, then back to the backglass light. So I decided to order a BCM which is what the electrical man said I need. Back order till May 2011. Questions: 1. Could this be ignition instead? 2. Could this be a door wire? 3. How about a wire in the tilt wheel? I haven't ask the kids if they moved it yet? Just saw that on the forum. Will ask them today. So I have time since it is not available for a month. Any ideas?
Unread 07-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
dizzle247
1999 WJ 

I just started having this problem as well this morning on my way to work. My power windows were working though as I was able to roll them down and back up to have a smoke, and I didn't check the AC. All gauges quit working on me while on the freeway, but started working when I got to my office, turned my jeep off, then back on. Mileage hasn't been counted since it stopped, so I don't know if anybody else has figured out a solution and/or root of cause for this issue. I'll check my battery terminals tonight and see if that helps fix the issue.

I have had my cell phone charger plugged into the right side cigarette light (always on), but I didn't have it plugged into anything else (wasn't charging anything) .. It was like this for about 3 days, could this have drained my battery enough to cause this issue?
dizzle247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #10
JeepIdolator

Wj

Are there any updates to this thread? I'm trying to help a friend diagnose her 2001 WJ (250k miles). Her Jeep started doing everything mentioned in this thread tonight.

At first it had trouble starting (never had this issue before). I manipulated the wheel and some wires underneath and it started. While idling, the gauges, warning lights, headlights, stereo were behaving just like someone else mentioned - a UFO hovering overhead or possessed by demons. I went to turn it off and was able to remove the key without killing the engine; it was still running and the ignition was in the OFF position with the key in my hand.

She stated that the battery is brand new as of a couple weeks ago.

I think more than one thing is going on:

- ignition switch is bad (why?: steering wheel was not locked with the engine off; should not have been able to turn ignition off and remove key with engine still running)
- faulty battery or battery connection (why?: the last thing I did was manipulate the battery cables. Everything smoothed out after I did that fo her ride home)

I just want to bounce these ideas off people who may know better. I'm recommending she replace the ignition switch and have the electrical connection at and near the battery checked.

Thanks!
JeepIdolator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:26 PM   #11
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Remove the battery cables, clean the connections, re-install. Jeeps like batteries with proper voltage.
Take it to an auto parts store and have the battery tested. If it is bad, replace it.

More often than not, this is a battery issue.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
JeepIdolator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
Remove the battery cables, clean the connections, re-install. Jeeps like batteries with proper voltage.
Take it to an auto parts store and have the battery tested. If it is bad, replace it.

Thanks for the reply. For my specific case, would you agree that the ignition switch could stand to be replaced as well?
JeepIdolator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 03:55 AM   #13
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I wouldn't do that until after verifying that the battery is in good condition, and that the connections are clean.

If that doesn't do the trick, try wiggling the gear selector. I have seen many neutral safety switches cause problems in Jeeps, but the ignition switch doesn't seem to be a very common failure.

Unread 08-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #14
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was having electrical issues with my 2000 WJ.. doing strange stuff.... one of the strange things was power windows & locks that would/would not work, plus numerous other issues.... found a write up about wires that run tru rubber boot between drivers side door and kick panel going bad and shorting out.. fix was not hard, but not easy (bad knees), but it was cheap (slice in new wires)..... all my electrical issues went away and have never returned. Best I can tell is there was just a massive power drain and this drain starved other systems of power they needed to operate.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #15
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28

Totally agree. Poor battery connection or weak battery will cause these problem. 99.9% of the time.

Battery drain can often be related to broken wires in rubber door booth causing the BCM to do strange things including drawing more current when vehicle is not in use resulting in flat battery and eventually battery failure.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.