Gas Mileage - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Gas Mileage

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-02-2003, 04:33 PM   #16
chuma_1

Thanks for the advice. I guess I have been a bit of a lead foot. I will try smooth driving for a tank or two and let you know what mileage I get.
Cheers
Chuma.

chuma_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2003, 01:17 AM   #17
ninjit
1999 WJ 

'99 WJ 4.0 with the same mileage as original poster.

When I first got my jeep, I posted a poll about mileage, and people were generally getting a lot better than I do.

I'm very light footed, I don't race people off the light etc. but doesnt seem to help me much.

I recently installed a K&N FIPK, which definitely helped with the throttle response, but as of my last fill up it didn't do anything for my mileage, but I'm going to give it another month or so to see.

I'm also pretty anal about tracking gas and mileage, I even have a little excel file that does all the work for me .

Next on my to do list to try and improve my gas, is switching to mobil1 (10W-30 + mobil1 filter).

And after that, MAYBE a tornade fuel saver.
And before you all start with the " that's a load of crap, don't waste your money" posts.
...all the posts i've read that ***** about this little device, are by people who've never used them, and those who have are a mixed bag.

One guy over at ju actually saw a 3mpg jump on his 5.7 , but he put his right above the throttle body, and not at the end of the intake right after the filter (which is what tornado tells you to do).

with a 30-day money back policy, I don't mind paying a little shipping to try something that may imrove my mpg...
ninjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2003, 10:45 AM   #18
Sedgwick106

Well it looks like I'm not alone with the milage problem. I do "get on it" (as much as you can with a 6 cyl) sometimes but not a lot. Wih only 39,000 miles do you think I need to change the plugs, cap and wires? What else would a tune up do? I see the air fiilter aftermarket systems on ebay all the time, should I try one of these? Thanks for the responses I'm glad I found this site.
Sedgwick106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2003, 05:58 PM   #19
fureyj

My 96 G.C. with the 5.2L and quadratrac gets 15.6 M.P.G. I put mobil 1 in and got 17.1 mpg. The tornado doesnot work. I tried at the tb and near the airbox nothing. I got the same results using my right foot and didnt have to pay 60 or 70 bucks for it. I mostly do city driving and once in a while get a lead foot.
fureyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2003, 03:46 PM   #20
5point9Limited
1998 ZJ 

I am getting 15mpg average. 20mpg highway, 1mpg when I smoke the pants off a ricer and 9mpg in the woods!

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 LTD
5point9Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 09:03 PM   #21
fortieri

The tornado is JUNK. yes it will spin the air but when the air passes the throtle plate it gets straightend back out.
Those who I know that used it actualy lost milage and HP because it is a small restriction in the intake.

Mods.
K&N drop in
Fake HID head lights (they look very good though)
NV249 to NV242 swap
Sounds: Pioneer 8600MP head unit, 2 Audio bahn 12" flame excursion subs, water cooled Bazooka amp (750W RMS), street wires 1fd cap, Rockford 6.5 coax & componants in all doors, stock infinity amp powering 6.5's for now.

Future Mods.
After market head lights (if there are any?)
Better exhaust (deeper but not much louder)
fortieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2003, 05:32 PM   #22
Skyjacked97ZJ

Boy do I wish I still got 13 mpg! Im getting about 11 right now.
Skyjacked97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.