full 4.0 swap from 98 tj questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > full 4.0 swap from 98 tj questions.

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 02-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
PowderPusher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

full 4.0 swap from 98 tj questions.

so I recently picked up a 00 wj from a guy for $600. was told it overheated once but I think this guy was full of *****. im going to swap the longblock at least. a guy that I have recently bought parts from for my last tj still has a 98 sahara just sitting there with a perfectly good drivetrain. bone stock and only 120k on it. I made him an offer of $400 for the whole drivetrain and he said yes. so I will be picking up the motor, trans and tcase within the next month when it warms up a little.

so to my questions and concerns.

1. can I use the trans from the 98 tj (32rh) I believe with out replacing the pcm for the motor?

2. if I have to replace the pcm, im guessing that will cause me to have to convert to a distributor for the motor?

3. I plan on grabbing the whole shifter for the tcase from the tj, do I need to modify the shifter bracket like I was seeing in the faq section 231 swap write-up?

4. I plan on nabbing the entire engine harness too. is there anything I should be making sure I grab while im at it? anything the is crucial to this swap?

5. what has to be done to the rear driveshaft? planning on an sye eventually but for now just looking to get it on the road so lift everything else will have to wait.

6. when I eventually get my tj back from the police (accident under investigation, drunk driver that hit me killed his passenger) I plan on using the ax15 trans in this wj. is this a difficult swap? I haven't been able to find a write-up for it.

PowderPusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
losttech
2000 WJ 

The WJ is kind of unique in the jeep lineup I think you will have a really hard time swapping anything that is not from a WJ into it.
I am no a pro though so maybe someone else knows more but I don't think its going to work.
Would be better off trying to build on something the parts are for then trying to stuff them in a very picky WJ just my opinion.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
jpat30

Don't know about where you live but most states require that the engine being swapped be the same year or newer than vehicle it is going into. As for a 5 spd swap; search for member Agitated Pancake (I think that's his user name). He has successfully swapped an manual in his WJ. He is on here and Pirate; I think his build is on Pirate though. It is definitely NOT plug and play as this vehicle was never offered from the factory with anything other than a auto. All this being said, where there is a will, there is a way. I really think though you would be better off finding a donor engine out of a WJ and sticking with your auto. Just my .02 Good Luck!
-Carpe Diem Phil 1:20
jpat30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Main problems I see is I don't believe the 98 block is drilled to accept your WJ engine support brackets, and the head doesn't have the bosses to bolt down the coil pack.

As for the trans, it's shorter than the 42RE you have now, so it will position your transfer case further forward requiring a shorter front driveshaft, and a longer rear driveshaft.

As for eliminating the coil pack and going to a regular distributor, yes, you'll need a different PCM, and make a few wiring modifications.

Your easiest solution is to use the $400 and get a used 4.0 that will fit your WJ.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
grussell
2001 WJ 

The blocks are totally different. I made this mistake before. The engine mounts bosses are different and the accessories mount different too, ie alternator, compressor etc. You would need an engine from a 2000-06 TJ, 99-2000 WJ or 2001-04 WJ(Swapping sensors)
New 4.0 @ 165
grussell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.