Fueling Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fueling Problems

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
cezza168

Wj Fueling Problems

2005 WJ Grand Cherokee 2.7 Diesel

I purchased the car in May 2012 and it ran fine until it was serviced in October. As part of the service the existing EDM fuel filter was replaced with a new EDM fuel filter. Almost immediately the engine became hard to start and would cutting out at speed when repeatedly put under load such as accelerating down a motorway slip road, lifting of the gas, accelerating again to get into the flow of the traffic and lifting off again. OBD also logged P1130 (fuel rail pressure problems). The fuel filter was swapped for another EDM, and then swapped again for genuine Jeep one, and the problems was cured until....

Early January the same poor starting and cutting out issues occurred again, but this time no fault code was logged. Starting was very poor but improved using ether/easy start. Did a leak off test and found No.4 injector was returning about 4 times as much fuel as the others. Replaced it. This made things a bit better, but not much:
  • When the car has been stood for less than 12 hours it starts and runs fine.
  • When it has been stood for more than 12 hours and the temperature is more than 5C it starts badly, but does start.
  • When it has been stood for more than 12 hours and the temperature is less 5C it will only start with ether/easy start.
  • And annoyingly it also cut out on the motorway again today.
Any suggestions gratefully received

Ceri

cezza168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #2
cmp77
2003 WJ 

Motorway?
cmp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #3
cmp77
2003 WJ 

2005 wj ??????
cmp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
cezza168

Motorway = Freeway
Sliproad = entry/exit ramp
Yes 2005, they still sold the WJ in europe in 2005
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
itsmeonjeep
1999 WJ 

Dampness?

Sent from my iJeep
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
cezza168

Ok, an update on this....

The car was parked nose down for a change over the weekend at in-laws (nice clean driveway unlike mine!) After starting it yesterday morning (on easystart) there was a wet stripe side to side on the ground. Looking around the front of the engine I could now see diesel leaking from or close to the fuel pump at the front of the engine and the main belt was wet with diesel. I guess the diesel has then been flung off when started. I don't normally see this as the jeep is usually parked nose up and the diesel must have been dripping back wards and not onto the belts. This probably explains poor starting due to lack of fuel and the cut out at speed with air being entrained.

I'll get this stripped down over the next couple of days and come back with another update.

Cezza
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

High pressure pump has gone. That the three lobed pump at the front. Had the same prob myself. About the only thing that can cause cutting out under load. See my thread on how to replace it. About 200 exchange on ebay.
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
cezza168

Finally fixed it!
High pressure pump was leaking - replaced that, still faulty
Did another leak off test - decided to replace four remaining injectors, still faulty
Replaced low pressure / lift pump - still faulty
Replaced pressure regulator / DRV valve - success !

Now have a working car for winter

Cezza

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.