Fuel Pump Fittings Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuel Pump Fittings Question

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 09-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
itsparadoxical
1999 WJ 

Fuel Pump Fittings Question

99 WJ Limited, 4.7L
A bit ago I replaced my fuel tank skid without fully removing the fuel tank. Afterwards, I could smell faint gas smell
After driving and mileage dropped significantly. I checked fuel filter fittings and they seemed fine. Today I dropped the tank and checked out the fuel pump hoses and fittings. There was a bunch of dirt around the fuel pump that was soaked with gas. There is also a bit of fuel under the tank as well. It seems like one of the fittings is loose and allowing fuel to spray/leak under drive pressure. Feeling the fittings, it feels like the one on the very right (pic is oriented with tank dropped and me at the rear of the jeep facing forward) is loose where the fitting enters the pump cover and, as you can see, the fittings are corroded as well.

forumrunner_20120915_175631.jpg

Is this a replace the whole fuel pump and housing situation, or can I replace pieces to try and stop the leaking? Any other ideas about what/where it might be leaking to cause this problem? It showed up after the skid replacement, no fuel smell/problems before that. I am going to let it dry out and try to button it up tomorrow, so I greatly appreciate any input/direction.

itsparadoxical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
itsparadoxical
1999 WJ 

Nothing?
Unread 11-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
Bigones1993
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i have a similar problem mine is leaking in the same place after i dropped the tank hard on the trail it spews when i fill it to the top and it causes a check engine light what did you do?
69 Jeepster Commando (Gone)
Bigones1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
itsparadoxical
1999 WJ 

My leak was at the connection going into the fuel pump top. The connectors were totally corroded and after various attempts to get them apart, over a span of several days, I ended up putting in a new fuel pump and getting a new fuel line set (pump to fuel filter) from the dealer. Expensive, but it fixed the problem.
Unread 09-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Greyrock

My issue was a loose lock-ring with a bad pump. The gauge stopped working too. So I had no choice but to replace the pump (with a full tank of gas). It started leaking from the ring after a fill-up, no problem, just don't top it off. But then it was so hard to start and the gauge didn't work, so new pump. The lock ring needs a special tool to remove and tighten, in my case just to tighten since it was already loose before I dropped the tank. I broke two studs on the right side trying to remove the skid plate so as a result I can't put my hitch back on. I have it the skid plate on that side held in place by one full bolt and a lug nut on the half bolt that broke, dam. Wait, it gets better. So now I have to drop the tank again to tighten the lock ring again, this time with the tool I just bought of Amazon. Do you believe Autozone, pepboys, advance, and NAPA do not have a spanner wrench to properly install the pumps they all sell? any way, does anyone have recommendations on how to remove broken skid plate studs? Thanks!
Greyrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.