Fuel pump or filter???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuel pump or filter????

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
banshee74

Fuel pump or filter????

Have a fairly loud "whine" coming from what sounded near the rear...did not change with engine RPM in neutral, and was there only at idle...as I accelerated it went basically away..

The engine shows no slow starting, no long cranking...no impact on performance, acceleration, etc...can't really tell MPG because it hasn't been that long. When the car starts, it takes a few seconds for the noise to show up, and when you accelerate it really dies down in volume. It is there about 90% of the time. I had done a Seafoam treatment several weeks ago...and I'm still not convinced that is the culprit,

The car is a 4.7HO with only 83K on it. The noise definitely is coming from the fuel pump area and not the filter, but from what I've read here a blockage in the filter area could cause a pressure backup to the pump to make it whine. I'm just trying to make sure which to change (Filter or pump)???? My pro mech friend says it's the pump and if I had some filter blockage it would show up in performance...and I'm inclined to agree...

Pump or Filter???

banshee74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

Never really heard a WJ with a loud pump, but my dads MJ has a very loud one. Could be that..

I have heard the wix WJ fuel filters can get rather vocal at about 5000 miles of usage as well.
Plus a few other junkyard goodies...
dlundblad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
pitsy
1999 WJ 

Although it sounds like the pump to me, I'd change the filter first because it's WAY easier to do. If that don't fix it, either just live with it (if the fuel rail pressure is good) or drop the tank and swap that sucker out. I just swapped out a dead pump on my rusty WJ, and it was a Royal PITA. It took a whole can of PB Blaster, my longest breaker bar (and a pipe), M12x1.75 tap, new bolts, three trips to the parts store, an old pillow, and a 6'1" arm-span to disconnect the fuel lines with a fuel tank laying on my belly under the Jeep.

Yeah, can't wait 'til my son is old enough to be my helper.
pitsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Upside
2002 WJ 

My filter regulator will whine occasionally. I run some Marvel Mystery Oil in a tank of gas and it's gone for a while. Not sure if the WIX filter whines when it picks up junk in the fuel or if I just have a noisy one. Try some in the tank and see if it clears up since it's easy to do. I get better mileage with it in the tank but I know results vary depending on the Jeep.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.