Fuel pump? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
Fuel pump?

I had just put my trackbar back in this morning after replacing the bushings to solve my death wobble. That appears to be solved now, but while test driving, the Jeep suddenly just died in the middle of the road. It started right back up, but it died again every time I let it idle (so at every traffic light). I just barely made it home, and I had it running, and as long as I kept my foot on the gas and kept the rpms around 2-3K, it would keep running, but if I let it idle at all it would sputter and die. Now it won't start at all. Doesn't seem to be an electrical issue, it'll crank all day long. I notice that when I turn the key on, but don't start it, the fuel pump sounds like it's repeatedly starting and stopping, and the fuel pump relay is clicking on and off repeatedly.

Should I replace the pump, the relay, both, or neither and test something else first? There doesn't seem to be a valve on the fuel rail to check the pressure. Thoughts? Thanks.

2003 WJ LTD 4.7, 242HD, PR44+ARB+RCV & D44HD+varilok+BTF 4.56, 7" RC LA (Clayton coils + pucks), Bilstein 5165, OBA, Lizardskined & Monstalined inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
And now after letting it sit for about 4 hours it started right up again and has been idling just fine for the past 20 min. I'm afraid to take it anywhere until I actually figure out and fix the problem though.

2003 WJ LTD 4.7, 242HD, PR44+ARB+RCV & D44HD+varilok+BTF 4.56, 7" RC LA (Clayton coils + pucks), Bilstein 5165, OBA, Lizardskined & Monstalined inside.
post #3 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaoaretae
And now after letting it sit for about 4 hours it started right up again and has been idling just fine for the past 20 min. I'm afraid to take it anywhere until I actually figure out and fix the problem though.
Of course as soon as I say that it starts dying again. Seems like as long as I keep the rpms up it will keep running, it'll stumble every so often but it won't die. If I let it idle it dies almost immediately. No codes, no rough running, but something's cutting out.

post #4 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 10:34 PM
sdjp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

For the starting issue you may want to check and replace your neutral safety switch and crankshaft position sensor. I had intermittent starting issues and these were the culprit.

I'm having the keeping it running issue myself; same as you I have to keep the rpm's up to keep it alive. For me I'm also having dead battery problems even know the battery is only a few months old and I keep it on a tender when I travel. I only have a winch and LED lights hooked up to it but will check for parasitic draw. Interested to see what you find.
post #5 of 29 Old 09-25-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
Well I've gone ahead and just ordered every sensor, new fuel pump, new relays, new IAC valve, new NSS, etc. Every possible thing it could be. Going to just start replacing one at a time until it works and keep the rest as spares. I'll probably start with the crank position sensor. It sounds from what I've read and experienced that that is the most likely culprit, but in case it's not, I don't want to wait for parts to arrive one at a time.

post #6 of 29 Old 09-25-2017, 11:42 AM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

There is a Schrader valve on the passenger side fuel rail, it's a bit buried but you can reach it with the fuel pressure tester that's available for rent from AutoZone, which is the tester I used when diagnosing the failed fuel pump in my wife's '03 4.7 a little while back.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
It is what Jeeples has *PARTIALLY* stated.
post #7 of 29 Old 09-25-2017, 11:44 AM
festerw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check all your connections at the battery, PDC, etc, and have the battery load tested. Every Chrysler I've had has done that when the voltage gets too low during starting.

Hers - 2011 Dodge Durango Crew
Mine - 2003 Jeep Wrangler X
1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
post #8 of 29 Old 09-25-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
There is a Schrader valve on the passenger side fuel rail, it's a bit buried but you can reach it with the fuel pressure tester that's available for rent from AutoZone, which is the tester I used when diagnosing the failed fuel pump in my wife's '03 4.7 a little while back.
Thanks, I expected to find one but I looked all around the fuel rail on both sides and didn't see one. I'll take another look at the passenger side tonight.

post #9 of 29 Old 09-25-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw
Check all your connections at the battery, PDC, etc, and have the battery load tested. Every Chrysler I've had has done that when the voltage gets too low during starting.
It's possible I guess, but doesn't seem likely. My battery/starter/alternator/ground cables are all relatively new and 0 gauge, with all new terminals. My starter and alternator are also relatively new. I'd rule it out entirely except that the battery is the oldest component in that loop, so perhaps it is starting to go, though I would imagine it would have trouble turning over and eventually give up like a weak battery usually does. It doesn't seem to have any trouble spinning the engine and the voltage looks fine on a multimeter. I guess I might as well bring it in to get load tested. Thanks.

post #10 of 29 Old 09-25-2017, 12:52 PM
RoysJeep

2004 WJ 

Garage
In my experience with the crankshaft position sensor, it will completely "kill" the jeep. It'll crank and crank and crank, but will not start.

2004 WJ Laredo, 4.0, 197,xxx miles and counting, 3:55 gears, D30/D35c. Stock for now
post #11 of 29 Old 09-25-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoysJeep
In my experience with the crankshaft position sensor, it will completely "kill" the jeep. It'll crank and crank and crank, but will not start.
That seems to be what eventually happens once the engine warms up. It'll start again after it cools down and then once it warms up again it'll start dying and then fail to start at all. Let it cool down and then it'll start again and run fine until it warms up.
RoysJeep likes this.

post #12 of 29 Old 09-25-2017, 02:23 PM
RoysJeep

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaoaretae View Post
That seems to be what eventually happens once the engine warms up. It'll start again after it cools down and then once it warms up again it'll start dying and then fail to start at all. Let it cool down and then it'll start again and run fine until it warms up.
I pretty much had the opposite issue. Drove to work completely fine, and came out after work to a WJ that wouldn't start. I literally had my jeep for a month when the crankshaft position sensor failed.
However, I'd would replace it for peace of mind. Not sure where its located on the 4.7 but on the 4.0, its on the back of the motor, on top of the bell housing.

2004 WJ Laredo, 4.0, 197,xxx miles and counting, 3:55 gears, D30/D35c. Stock for now
post #13 of 29 Old 09-25-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoysJeep
I pretty much had the opposite issue. Drove to work completely fine, and came out after work to a WJ that wouldn't start. I literally had my jeep for a month when the crankshaft position sensor failed. However, I'd would replace it for peace of mind. Not sure where its located on the 4.7 but on the 4.0, its on the back of the motor, on top of the bell housing.
It's just above the starter on the 4.7, and I have a replacement on the way. My working theory is that my sensor works until it warms up and then it starts flaking out.

post #14 of 29 Old 09-25-2017, 07:21 PM
Rattit00d
2002 WJ 

I do hope the changing of your crankshaft position sensor goes a whole lot better than mine did. I did eventually get it out after 3 days
Of torture. Let us know how it goes.
post #15 of 29 Old 10-05-2017, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattit00d
I do hope the changing of your crankshaft position sensor goes a whole lot better than mine did. I did eventually get it out after 3 days Of torture. Let us know how it goes.
Took me 5 days, and it didn't solve the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.