fuel pump... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > fuel pump...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 05-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
docster
2002 WJ 

fuel pump...

since i have no service manual. how the heck do you get the fuel pump out. anyone have a write up? im going to replace the o-ring because my starts are super long its not holding fuel pressure when car is off, running its perfect. i dont want to break anything on the pump and am unfamiliar with these on the jeep. on the audi, if you even slightly bump the level, you can forget about it ever working again!

thanks in advance.

Unread 05-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
smunns

Disconnect the plug to the sending unit, disconnect the two fuel lines going to it, unscrew the plastic ring holding it in (I used a large flat head screw drive and a hammer), carefully pull it out.

To get to the o-ring... CAREFULLY slide a small flat head screw driver up the inside of each one of the plastic tabs that hold the top on. It takes a little finesse, but when you get the screw driver in the right position the tabs will unlock. You then have to hold that side of the cap up to make sure it doesn't go back down and lock in place again. After you have them all unlocked, just slide the top straight off.

It's a lot easier than it sounds.
smunns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
docster
2002 WJ 

outstanding. thank you!
Unread 05-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Try changing the filter first and see if it improves.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

x2 on the filter.

On these it's a filter and regulator. I had the same problem with pressure bleeding off, and it turned out to be my filter.

Replace it first, since you have to do it anyway to retain a warranty on most pumps.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
docster
2002 WJ 

ok...i will try throwing a wix in there. but the reason i was leaning towards pump is because is smooth when running and no leaking what so ever. plus i am getting 17-20 mpg combined easy. and there is a TSB on the o-ring also...for earlier years. still think it could be a wix? the fuel filter i could see if my MPG was down adn it ran rough, but once it starts, its perfect. Was also thinking Crank or camshaft position sensor, but it runs too smooth for that i think. i dont know. just need to it to start easily and keep running well since wife is preggo!
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
smunns

It was the o-ring on mine two weeks ago. I have a new filter and pump. A .69 cent o-ring fixed it. If it was me, I'd do the o-ring first since it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
smunns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
docster
2002 WJ 

thats what im going to try i think. what teh quickest way to get to the fuel pump, havent even looked for it yet haha. been too damn busy.
Unread 05-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
volvite
1999 WJ 

You will have to drop the tank to find the fuel pump.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Greyrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by smunns View Post
It was the o-ring on mine two weeks ago. I have a new filter and pump. A .69 cent o-ring fixed it. If it was me, I'd do the o-ring first since it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
Where did you get the o-ring that cheap? The right one? certainly not the stealership..
Greyrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.