Fuel issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuel issue

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Reply
Unread 06-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
pdxsport
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: portland, or
Posts: 11
Fuel issue

I recently replaced the fuel filter and tps sensor in my 2002 i6 WJ. Now sometimes when I start the car it wont turn over. It will eventually start but only after waiting 5 or so mins. Also,ohe engine cut out while I was driving it but started back up after sitting. I've checked and cleaned battery cables. I thought it might be the coils.

pdxsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler
 
ChrisHager's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Posts: 5,201
Any codes? What brand is the TPS? When you say it won't turn over but will eventually start - does it crank but not start for a while or it literally won't crank?
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
pdxsport
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: portland, or
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Any codes? What brand is the TPS? When you say it won't turn over but will eventually start - does it crank but not start for a while or it literally won't crank?
It has not thrown any codes. It cranks just fine. Actually it has been running just fine, once it starts. I cannot remember the brand of TPS. I got it at car quest.
pdxsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler
 
ChrisHager's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Posts: 5,201
Next time, turn the key to on, wait 10 seconds, turn the key off. Repeat twice more then try to start it.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
outofrng623
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: yonkers, ny
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Next time, turn the key to on, wait 10 seconds, turn the key off. Repeat twice more then try to start it.
Chris, curious...Is this to prime? On mine, if I turn the key to on, then wait about 3-5 seconds to start it, it starts much better than if I do not. Indicative of a fuel pressure leak somewhere, no? THANKS
outofrng623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler
 
ChrisHager's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Posts: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofrng623 View Post

Chris, curious...Is this to prime? On mine, if I turn the key to on, then wait about 3-5 seconds to start it, it starts much better than if I do not. Indicative of a fuel pressure leak somewhere, no? THANKS
Yes - this primes the system. If it starts easier after priming, it's safe to say you lost fuel pressure in the lines while it sat.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
outofrng623
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: yonkers, ny
Posts: 517
Chris. Want to come work in my heep, ahem I mean jeep. Lol. You appear to be quite handy. I had a hard start yesterday after it sitting for five minutes. It didn't start after 4 secs or so. I turned it off, waited and went to start again and it didn't like it. Third time it started but it was choking.
outofrng623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
pdxsport
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: portland, or
Posts: 11
Thanks Chris! I have been out and have not had a chance to look at replies. Things do seem to be getting worse. The yesterday I went to start it and it did not turn over. Tried again and it turned over but I heard a load hiss like pressure was being released. It ran fine but my cruise control is out now. I will try priming the engine before starting.
pdxsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
chrism1367
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 730
Sounds like possible vacuum leak if it hissed and now cc isn't working. That could also explain hard starting because it would be sucking in too much air
chrism1367 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #10
mrtoner
Junior Member
 
mrtoner's Avatar
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 63
Check out my thread on hard starting
mrtoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #11
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler
 
ChrisHager's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Posts: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofrng623 View Post
Chris. Want to come work in my heep, ahem I mean jeep. Lol. You appear to be quite handy. I had a hard start yesterday after it sitting for five minutes. It didn't start after 4 secs or so. I turned it off, waited and went to start again and it didn't like it. Third time it started but it was choking.
Haha - That would be a long drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsport View Post
Thanks Chris! I have been out and have not had a chance to look at replies. Things do seem to be getting worse. The yesterday I went to start it and it did not turn over. Tried again and it turned over but I heard a load hiss like pressure was being released. It ran fine but my cruise control is out now. I will try priming the engine before starting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism1367 View Post
Sounds like possible vacuum leak if it hissed and now cc isn't working. That could also explain hard starting because it would be sucking in too much air
I agree. A hiss, no cruise control, and rough starting sounds like a vacuum leak.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #12
outofrng623
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: yonkers, ny
Posts: 517
Chris, were you ever a part of my long ongoing 30 page thread on 6mpg?
outofrng623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler
 
ChrisHager's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Posts: 5,201
I think I missed out on that one...
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #14
outofrng623
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: yonkers, ny
Posts: 517
Oh. It's still going strong. Lmao. I also started a new thread that starts out with updated info instead of having to read through 30 pages. I forgot the title though. Maybe it's from 13mpg to 8mpg? I need a really good trouble shooter instead of throwing more parts at it.
outofrng623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #15
pdxsport
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: portland, or
Posts: 11
Thanks you guys this helps. Where should I be looking for the leak?
pdxsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.