Fuel filter change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuel filter change

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
Fishinmission
2001 WJ 

Fuel filter change

I tried a search on Changing the fuel filter on my 01 Grand Cherokee. All I found was a post about a 96 GC filter change. It looks way different from mine. Just wondering if any special tools needed or if it just pulls off lines. Thanks in advance!

Fishinmission is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

The '96 was the last year with the external filter. After that the filter is part of the fuel pump/sending unit inside the tank. Sorry.

Jay
'96 ZJ, 4.0L, 42RE, NP242, stock D30 and D35-LS w/ 3.73, 4-1/2" lift, 32" BFG ATs, Magnaflow, JKS track bars and disconnects, spare tire carrier, Optima red top, ROLA roof rack, KC SlimLite driving lights, CB and Yaesu ham radios, GPS
ZJJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
94v8heep
1994 ZJ 

Got to love when Chrysler fixes something when it isn't broken.
94v8heep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
Fishinmission
2001 WJ 

That's really confusing, my parts guy gave me a part # and picture for a fuel filter for $27.99. He claimed it is under the vehicle on the driver's side by the rear wheel, at least according to his computer.
Unread 03-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
indept
2000 WJ 

On WJ's the fuel filter is in the tank as part of the pump assy. There is also a regulator/filter that is on the underbody just in front of the tank. That's what your parts guy is showing. According to Jeep, it should last "the life of the vehicle unless there is a problem, don't replace it".
But then according to Jeep you should buy a new Jeep every year, just go ask the salesman in the Jeep showroom
Unread 03-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
Fishinmission
2001 WJ 

That makes a lot more sense. Glad I checked here before ordering the "fuel filter". Thanks guys!!!
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:23 AM   #7
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

Order the thing and change it. It sits right above the rear axle tucked up in there. Don't listen to what jeep says in how "it lasts the life of the vehicle" TRUST ME. I replaced mine last year for the first time and it was so clogged that I don't know how the jeep ran. I couldn't even blow through it. It ran NOTICEABLY different with the new filter. It takes some time messing with the stupid quick connect clips, but it's worth doing. It's a filter. What filter in the world do you know of that'll last for the life of whatever it's in? If it lasts that long it must not be doing too damn good of a job.
perfectcircle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
Falkon
2004 WJ 

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Fuel filters
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectcircle View Post
Order the thing and change it. It sits right above the rear axle tucked up in there. Don't listen to what jeep says in how "it lasts the life of the vehicle" TRUST ME. I replaced mine last year for the first time and it was so clogged that I don't know how the jeep ran. I couldn't even blow through it. It ran NOTICEABLY different with the new filter. It takes some time messing with the stupid quick connect clips, but it's worth doing. It's a filter. What filter in the world do you know of that'll last for the life of whatever it's in? If it lasts that long it must not be doing too damn good of a job.

X2 change it.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
It ran NOTICEABLY different with the new filter
some times you also can get unexpected stalling due to a clogged filter.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #11
Fishinmission
2001 WJ 

Looks like I'll be gettin on of those filters after all, thanks again guys!!
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
some times you also can get unexpected stalling due to a clogged filter.
where the hell did that come from
perfectcircle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.