Frustrating Starting Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Frustrating Starting Problems

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
RockCityGhost
2004 WJ 

Wj Frustrating Starting Problems

History:
Purchased the Jeep in 2007 and it started perfectly until... I had a remote starter installed in 2011.

I've had nothing but trouble with it since. All kinds of starting issues and the installing shop went under. After finding out first hand that it was installed very poorly, I had it removed and a new one added last summer. It also had a rebuilt starter added about a year ago. New starter and new remote start and everything was great!

Or I thought it was until about a month ago when trouble re-appeared. I have recently had the battery clamps replaced, terminals cleaned of any corrosion. After this, it was starting fine for about a week. When trouble started again, I learned I could get it started if I gave it gas while starting it. Now, on the last few days even that trick is not working. Here are a couple videos that show the starting problems from a week ago. I will go take new videos as needed to help troubleshoot.

Symptoms:
Truck won't start.
Loud clicking (Presumably the starter)
Sometimes turns over.
Sometimes starts with gas. (Not today!)
Will stall if I leave it in park and let go of the gas.
Will not stall if I get it in gear and move 100 yards.
Usually will start better after it has already been running for a while.
Clock will SOMETIMES reset to 12:00 when I DO actually get it started.
I do hear the fuel filter when I turn the key.

What to check next?
I will take any and all ideas on where to start, here is my options I see in front of me from my research.

Test the battery.
Clean the IAC? (saw it on the net)
Check the fuel filter?

In Closing
Any time spent, thoughts, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am a computer guy, cars not so much. I need to get it running smoothly again to get me back and forth to work.

Thanks,
Andre

RockCityGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
ss_jeep
2001 WJ 

Which remote start are you using? Which bypass module? Sounds like not enough voltage. can you start it with the key only?.. all is good?
ss_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
RockCityGhost
2004 WJ 

I will check on the starter and bypass. It does not start with or without the key. Sorry for not making that clear.
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
ss_jeep
2001 WJ 

You've got a voltage issue. Check for solid connections both positive and ground on battery, altrenator, fuse box, and stater. As long as your battery is in "good" condition, you've just got to find the weak connection.

Hope this helps, let me know
ss_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
RockCityGhost
2004 WJ 

That makes sense, as a couple times I've even had it hooked up for a jump and couldn't start it. Moved the power wires and it started right up.

Going to take the battery to an autozone and get it checked as well.
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
BigAl63
2000 WJ 

I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like there a couple of different problems. One being voltage. Maybe a loose battery terminal or connection to the battery. The other maybe clean the throttle body and IAC. Again, no expert here, but I'm sure one will chime in and give you some better advice. Good luck!
BigAl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
RockCityGhost
2004 WJ 

Any advice is good advice Al! Thanks. Going to look up how to clean those parts. I think I've seen a YouTube video for the cleaning IAC.
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
RockCityGhost
2004 WJ 

The answer was a new battery. Replaced it and everything just worked.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.