So, among everything else that I'm dealing with and replacing in my front end, I decided I might as well do the tie rod ends while everything is torn apart. However, the old ones are seriously rusted in there. I've soaked them with liquid wrench and let them sit overnight. I tapped on the crack in the tube with a cold chisel and hammer. No dice.
I have the feeling that this is probably fairly common and other people have dealt with it. Anyone have any advice apart from turning them red-hot with a torch and beating on them? I have four of these things to deal with.
For some reason, I hadn't thought of that. I'd actually have to replace two bars. There is the one from the steering pitman arm to the passenger side knuckle. Then there is the connecting rod that goes from the passenger side to the driver's side.
X3 on what was said about replacing the rods as well. I had to grab a torch and get the ends of the rods red hot and then clamp a vice grips on the rod and another on the tie rod end and step on both of them simultaneously to turn them in opposite directions to get it to budge. What I thought would be a hour long job turned into a 4 hour job and a trip to walmart for a torch. But, plus side is I now have a torch.
I coat nearly everything with anti-seize. Lol I avoid putting it on things such as lug nuts, however. ;-)
My buddies all make fun of my excessive use of anti seize, but I'm never the one having to torch off any bolts anymore.
Sent from my blimp fortress using my carrier pigeons.
99' WJ, 2.5" Rusty's, Bilstein 5100's, JKS TrackBar, Moog SuperTrailBoss
"With enough fabbing, time & $, it's certainly possible.
That being said, it's like boinkin' your sister...just because you can, doesn't mean you should." - Double E
So, I did end up simply purchasing a new tie rod. That made that part of the job fairly mindless. And I slathered the ends in copper anti-seize (not that I expect I'll be doing this job again anytime soon).
Somehow, I dropped the ball and did not get the rod that goes from the pitman arm to the passenger's side. Fortunately, my leaking power steering fluid made the pitman side easy to get off. The other side...wasn't.
I soaked it with liquid wrench. I heated it for five minutes with a torch. I beat on it with a cold chisel and hammer. Eventually, I put the bar in two vices, side by side, put a pipe wrench on the tie rod end and beat the life out of it with a hammer. After about ten minutes of this, and constantly re-adjusting the vices, it moved. At that point, I put machine oil in the slit on the rod and continued beating. Some more oil, repeat. Once I'd made a full revolution with the oil, it started to get a lot easier. And, eventually...I won. lol