Frozen Tie Rod Ends - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Frozen Tie Rod Ends

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Wj Frozen Tie Rod Ends

Hey all,

So, among everything else that I'm dealing with and replacing in my front end, I decided I might as well do the tie rod ends while everything is torn apart. However, the old ones are seriously rusted in there. I've soaked them with liquid wrench and let them sit overnight. I tapped on the crack in the tube with a cold chisel and hammer. No dice.

I have the feeling that this is probably fairly common and other people have dealt with it. Anyone have any advice apart from turning them red-hot with a torch and beating on them? I have four of these things to deal with.

Thanks,

Brandon

Unread 12-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
jahcure
2000 WJ 

Replace that bar and save your self headaches
jahcure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahcure View Post
For some reason, I hadn't thought of that. I'd actually have to replace two bars. There is the one from the steering pitman arm to the passenger side knuckle. Then there is the connecting rod that goes from the passenger side to the driver's side.

God I hate rust.
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahcure View Post
x2. Both the drag link and the tie rod are relatively cheap. It could also be a good time to upgrade to the JKS or KOR HD versions if you plan on wheeling the WJ.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
JRobes
2004 WJ 

X3 on what was said about replacing the rods as well. I had to grab a torch and get the ends of the rods red hot and then clamp a vice grips on the rod and another on the tie rod end and step on both of them simultaneously to turn them in opposite directions to get it to budge. What I thought would be a hour long job turned into a 4 hour job and a trip to walmart for a torch. But, plus side is I now have a torch.
Pearl Black 2004 Overland - OME HD springs, Bilstein 5100 shocks, JKS Quick Disco's, JKS Track Bar, IRO Rear Sway Bar Links, Moog TRE's, K&N filter, Audio Aux Input, 10th Anniv. 2013 Rubi Rims, 32.1" BFG KM's, removable rear seat mod
JRobes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

And whatever you decide to replace, coat the threads with Anti-Seize, prior to installation.
doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doityourselfMM
And whatever you decide to replace, coat the threads with Anti-Seize, prior to installation.
I coat nearly everything with anti-seize. Lol I avoid putting it on things such as lug nuts, however. ;-)
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgohsman View Post

I coat nearly everything with anti-seize. Lol I avoid putting it on things such as lug nuts, however. ;-)
My buddies all make fun of my excessive use of anti seize, but I'm never the one having to torch off any bolts anymore.

Sent from my blimp fortress using my carrier pigeons.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doityourselfMM View Post
Best advice I've read on this forum in awhile.

I recently switched to the marine grade, which was recommended to me by a trusted friend. Good stuff.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

Your new tie rod ends will especially love you for that. And your lug nuts will be glad you didn't !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgohsman View Post
doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

So, I did end up simply purchasing a new tie rod. That made that part of the job fairly mindless. And I slathered the ends in copper anti-seize (not that I expect I'll be doing this job again anytime soon).

Somehow, I dropped the ball and did not get the rod that goes from the pitman arm to the passenger's side. Fortunately, my leaking power steering fluid made the pitman side easy to get off. The other side...wasn't.

I soaked it with liquid wrench. I heated it for five minutes with a torch. I beat on it with a cold chisel and hammer. Eventually, I put the bar in two vices, side by side, put a pipe wrench on the tie rod end and beat the life out of it with a hammer. After about ten minutes of this, and constantly re-adjusting the vices, it moved. At that point, I put machine oil in the slit on the rod and continued beating. Some more oil, repeat. Once I'd made a full revolution with the oil, it started to get a lot easier. And, eventually...I won. lol

tie_rod_end.jpg

Unread 12-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
scoomscoom
2001 WJ 

i hate having to replace the tie rods its always a chore but the acetylene torch makes it easy

242j transfer case for sale or trade for 242wj
scoomscoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #13
Davidson82
2002 WJ 

Summit racing. I bought two tie rod ends and the bar all moog. 87.00 dollars US.
Davidson82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 04:49 AM   #14
Prickett10
Daddy dubJ

2000 WJ 

I lost the tip of my middle finger removing a driver side tie rod. That was rather unpleasant. Anti seize is your friend.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #271 2000 4.7L WJ
1980 Ford F100 4.9L I6 <------- My baby

Man makes the weather then stands in the rain and says S*** its rainin
Prickett10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #15
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rock Auto is also your friend. The replacement bars are actually more beefy than stock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.