Frozen Stripped lug nuts... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Frozen Stripped lug nuts...

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 10-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
blsjeep
2004 WJ 

Had the same problem a while back. Fortunately I have a set of these in the tool box for these instances. I little pricey from Snap-on but you can get something similar from Harbor Freight for a fraction of the price.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

110stsy.jpg

blsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #17
blsjeep
2004 WJ 

After you get them off invest in a good set of lugs nuts. The factory ones are junk. Gorilla lug nuts are the way to go...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92806_900X_PG.htm
screen-shot-2013-10-05-8.49.54-am.png

blsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #18
mountaintracker
2004 WJ 

I fell for some local autoparts store locking lug nuts once and ran into this issue. Pounding on a socket and PB blaster did well, although I did also invest in a removal kit later on. May I also suggest that you get a dead blow if you decide to do any pounding on your tire. A little overzealous and it is quite easy to mark up your wheels.
Unread 10-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #19
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsjeep View Post
Had the same problem a while back. Fortunately I have a set of these in the tool box for these instances. I little pricey from Snap-on but you can get something similar from Harbor Freight for a fraction of the price.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
I use this same set at work all most daily... yesterday I used it to check the trans fluid in a bmw where the owner stripped check plug, And to remove the stripped lugs off a 300c that owner had rounded them so bad it had amazed guys who have been there for 20+ years.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #20
4x4fvr

Usually happens when someone is using an impact gun putting the lugs back on. I had to drill out three to get them off. Popped in some new studs from oReiley with new lug nuts only use a tire iron.
4x4fvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #21
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Day one when I buy a new car, I remove every lugnut and put anti seize on the stud threds and the wheel face where the lugnut contacts the wheel. They torque perfectly and won't ever get stuck.
When changing brake rotors, apply anti seize to the hub flange and the hub centric area. You will never need mallets of heat, or anything to service the car.
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #22
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnice View Post
Day one when I buy a new car, I remove every lugnut and put anti seize on the stud threds and the wheel face where the lugnut contacts the wheel. They torque perfectly and won't ever get stuck.
When changing brake rotors, apply anti seize to the hub flange and the hub centric area. You will never need mallets of heat, or anything to service the car.
You should not need to do any of that if you know how to use a torque wrench correctly. The lug nuts don't magically seize on......they are just over tightened in the first place. I never use anti seize and have never had an issue getting wheels off my cars. I feel anti seize on something as critical as lug nuts won't help them stay on. Since I use 1.5 inch spacers, I go the other way and use red (permanent) thread lock on the spacer nuts and blue on the wheel nuts to eliminate the risk of them vibrating loose on bumpier trails. Each to their own I guess!

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 10-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #23
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
You should not need to do any of that if you know how to use a torque wrench correctly. The lug nuts don't magically seize on......they are just over tightened in the first place. I never use anti seize and have never had an issue getting wheels off my cars. I feel anti seize on something as critical as lug nuts won't help them stay on. Since I use 1.5 inch spacers, I go the other way and use red (permanent) thread lock on the spacer nuts and blue on the wheel nuts to eliminate the risk of them vibrating loose on bumpier trails. Each to their own I guess!

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
I know how to use a torque wrench. See here they dump tons of salt on the roads in the winter. Brake disc will rust solid to the hubs, the lugnuts will actually chemically react with the aluminium rims and seize to the wheel.

I never use an impact wrench to install lugnuts, always stage tightened. Also, using this method, in driving over a million miles, I have never ever warped a brake rotor. You also get a truer torque, no squeak when tightening. No lug but tightened to the correct torque will ever come loose on its own using this method, so no locktite is needed.
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
TontoKowalski
2004 WJ 

As a follow up...I drove around on these for a few weeks, then found a good deal on A/T tires through PepBoys...so I figured if I get new tires I'd let the PepBoy fellas get them out. Well, they did and didn't charge me any extra for extraction or for the replacement lugs off of the shelf.

Funny that only 2 of the lugs on the rear wheels had this problem, one on each side...

Check these mangled things out:

TontoKowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #25
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

I had to go to a tire place to get six of mine off. One of them looked like yours, they almost didn't get it.

Great feeling when they are all replaced!
KayCeeJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.