Front tire Scratch ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front tire Scratch ?

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
jeffnoumea

Wj Front tire Scratch ?

Hello
My Jeep GC 2004 Overland was going wrong with front tire.
My new tire was completely scratch like some body cut them....
It is beging when my local dealer replace my right front wheel gear.

No real vibration when I Accelerate but vibration when I deccelerate.

First : There is a little play with my front drive shaft (between TC and front Dana... So I think, that normaly there is no play....

Second : I move my rear tire wheel to front. And some scratch appear 3 days after.

I replace since 6 month ... New tie rod end, new track bar (mopar), new drag link end. New absorber chock and new front right bearing wheel. Control arm uper lower front and rear is new...

Must I replace left wheel bearing ? even if it is OK ?
Paralelisme and so is ok.

I put 2,5 kg (34psi) on each tire.... I try with 2,8 Kg. Less vibration...

Here some photos.
Tire 1 was in front. Now in rear and no more scratch.
Tire 2 was at rear with no scratch... and now some apear.

I notice there is a play on my right wheel when I goes down a little step ... in revers.... May be the lower and upper ball joint but no play....

What do you think ?
Thanks
Jean

Sorry for my english...

tire-1.jpg   tire-2.jpg  
jeffnoumea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

new tire? Looks like the rubber is old and dry rotted, basically it's falling apart.
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I agree, that tire looks old.

But also, are there any screws, bolts, or metal pieces hanging down in the wheel well anywhere that the tire could be catching on? Do you ever hear any rubbing?
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

It's what dry rotted tires do sometimes, looks like cuts but it's just coming apart. I'd replace them asap..
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #5
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

Definitely looks like an old tire. Check the date code on the sidewall:

Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
soulsurvives

as uneven as those looks my guess is like the others.....freakin tire is falling apart.....i see lots of cracking.....get those changed asap.....
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
jeffnoumea

Hi
Thanks a lot. Some friends told me I must change 4 tire together..... an pression at 2,3kg...
I will try....

Is it very important to change 4 tire together on this SUV ? I think it is why this scrath appen....
jeffnoumea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

You've replaced a lot of your front components but did not tell us if you have lifted your truck.

You are dealing with a dealer, how recently did you get the WJ? Like all vendors, be careful, just because they're a dealer doesn't necessarily mean they honorable and stand by their work. If you need a mechanics help, seek out a 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion. Any mechanic worth their weight would not turn away a customer who comes in, describes and issue, shows some concerning things, and asks for their opinion on what could be the cause. Once you've done this, go back to the dealer and call them to task and see if they will honor their work as it sounds like something went wrong after they did something.

Your vibrations could be caused by an inproperly balanced wheel, or one that lost some of it's weights. Alignment issues can cause rubber breakdown like you have in your pictures, especially if tires have never been rotated. Buy a tread depth guage, or borrow one, and see if you still have at least 4/32nds of tread depth left. If you don't, or you are close to 4/32nds, it's time for new tires.

Your friend is right, our WJ's need four matching tires. Same make model and pattern, as patterns on some tires do change over time, and on top of it they should have within 3/32nds of treadwear between each other. If possible, have 5 matching tires bought all at the same time and follow a 5 tire rotation pattern regularily. Most people go with 4 and a whatever 5th, which you can get away with for very short distances, but I had to get my transfercase rebuilt after having to driving 200 miles back to civilization on a mismatched spare as well. Believe me, if you grenade your TC like I did you'll wish you dropped the coin on a set of 5 matching tires. Your fuel economy goes down the crapper and the cost to have the transfer case repaired is well more than a set of 5 matching new tires.

If odd wear is only on the one tire, you could have a bent axleshaft or perhaps the wheel was not bolted back on properly. Have someone drive it while you follow looking for wobble in any of the wheels.

Possible red herring: Your symptom of vibrations only during decelleration sounds exactly like my current issue (front driveshaft) before the vibrations became more often but still mostly or worse during decelleration. The cause for me was a dying front driveshaft but this similarity could just be a coincidence. If this is you problem, it could be an issue with bearigns, yokes, or a bend driveshaft alltogeather.

Finally, when it comes to fixing things. Search online for aftermarket parts. Typically they're WAY cheaper and usually you can upgrade stock compentents while saving money doing so. For example, the vendor who goes by the name of Kolak on this forum is awesome to deal with and has great pricing.
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.