Front receiver hitch for a WJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front receiver hitch for a WJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

Front receiver hitch for a WJ?

I'm seriously thinking about replacing the Warn M8000 on the front of my truck. It was plenty of winch when I got it, and with rebates offered at the time, the 8000# Warn was not much more than half the money of a Warn 9000# winch.
In the 3.5 years since I've gotten it, I've added a lot of weight to the truck, mainly in the form of a 4" suspension lift (with a heavy sub-frame, it's IFS), and 35" tires. Although it's not a Warn, I've heard good things about the new Smittybuilt winches and can get a super deal on a 10,000 lb. model for the truck, actually a good bit less than I paid for the 8000# Warn.
That gives me the Warn as basically a spare. I don't want to clutter up the GC Overland (my daily driver) with a grille guard & mount, so I thought about picking up the portable mount that Warn makes, the type that lets you slide the winch on a 2" receiver. I'm covered on the back, as the GC has factory tow, but would like to put a receiver hitch on the front if I end up doing this. As hidden as possible.
I'm having a hard time finding any, but have to admit, all the sources I'm used to looking for mods & accessories just have primarily truck and Jeep Wrangler parts. I don't really know where to look for GC aftermarket and off-road parts.
Any help would be appreciated...

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
BlackShuck
2001 WJ 

Look up gcjeeping. I'm pretty sure he has setup like this. He PM'd me a picture of it and could probably do the same for you.
Utah Jeep Crew #8
FS: Rear wind deflectors || || Stock OEM Air Box Set Up
BlackShuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Warn makes one that fits behind the lower part of the bumper. Someone on one of the forums has it and has posted pics. I got mine 7 years ago. Warn didnt make one then. I improvised with a reese universal rear hitch class V. It works perfect and was around 70 bucks back in the day.

Warns
https://www.tonnocover.com/applicati...1999-2002.html

Mine

gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

Thanks, I found the Warn. A little pricey at $179, but hey, that's Warn! You pay for the name. I must have had a brain fart, looked at Warn for the portable mount and my brush/grill guard on my pickup is a Warn Trans4mer, but I never even gave a thought to looking at Warn for a front receiver hitch, DUH!

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
straty1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
Warn makes one that fits behind the lower part of the bumper. Someone on one of the forums has it and has posted pics. I got mine 7 years ago. Warn didnt make one then. I improvised with a reese universal rear hitch class V. It works perfect and was around 70 bucks back in the day.

quick question for you or anyone that has had the front bumper off the wj 99-03. is the frame were the mopar tow hooks go on solid?
or can you access it, below were mounting plate (4) goes its open but what about the rest?

only asking because i want to know if i can put a bolt threw one of holes on the top part (center of teh grill were the two lines are comingdown) and tighten a bolt inside the frame to hold something behind the grill were the 7 () are

straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

My warn front receiver hitch just came in on Friday. Haven't installed it yet, but will keep you posted on how it fits. Mines an 04, and it's not spec'd for 03/04 WJ's, so it might need some modifying but hopefully not. Then I can run my XD9000i portable on it.
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
outlaw8383
2004 WJ 

I plan on doing something similar to this too. I've been looking at winches and my buddy told me about superwinch. I found one with a rate of 8,000 pound for $400. Thing is i dont want to spend a fortune on a front bumber to place this so was wondering what i can do to improvise. But if anyone knows of a fairly cheap bumber (under $500) let me know ! thanks
Magna Flo High Flow Converter
Flomaster Super 44
outlaw8383 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.