front popping/snapping sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > front popping/snapping sound

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 01-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
mrakes
2000 WJ 

front popping/snapping sound

Okay, here's the down and dirty:

2000 GC Limited 4.7 QuadraDrive 89K. While on the interstate, we (my wife and I) heard a quick hissing/whizzing noise then the Jeep began popping and snapping (all throughout this whole venture, I have yet to get any "cluster warning lights like check engine, etc and no trouble codes). We babied her home. Took to dealership, they couldn't find any major problem, other than bad front prop shaft boot. Replaced front prop shaft with aftermarket that uses u-joints instead of CV boots. Just for good measure, replaced rear drive shaft u-joints as well (like to be proactive not reactive whenever possible). Took for test drive, still pops/snaps/clicks. Inspected front CV axles. Nothing wrong there, but replaced both (yes, I made sure to get the Varilock axles). Same result. Pulled, took back to parts store, got another set of axles, same result. Took to Firestone, they say bad transfer case. They came to conclusion without any diagnostic tools, just by test driving it on interstate for 1 mile, off the exit ramp and back on highway for 1 mile (checked mileage). Yes, I was there when she left the lot and returned. Are they for real? Anyway, nobody has been able to find this issue, or give good logical reason. Since I replaced the front prop shaft, I can now feel a vibration at lower speeds. All along, regardless of what I have done, the popping/snapping noise occurs when you accelerate quickly or get above 50mph.

Through testing, I have also noticed a few other anomalies. 1. If it put into 4LO, popping, snapping is immediate. 2. Hard left or right turns generate same noise. 3. Now that we have cold weather, popping, snapping at lower speeds for first few minutes, then only over 50mph. (but not when coasting) 4. Does not pop/snap over 50mph when not accelerating or on incline using throttle (does not do it when coasting). 5. Does not pop/snap if I remove front prop shaft (bad transfer case, front differential or axles?) 6. I am not crazy here, but the popping/snapping seems like it is rapidly alternating between left and right sides of vehicle.

I really need some help figuring this one out. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

mrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

either the transfer case is bad or your front gears are toast. open the front diff, if there's nothing jumping out at you it's the tcase.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
SET2JET

because of your #5 comment i would believe it's the t-case
SET2JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
mrakes
2000 WJ 

tcase

been bsy with work and all. just wanted to reply to all. it is the transfer case. I am going to replace it here soon. thanks for all your help.
mrakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.