Front end shimmy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front end shimmy

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
overlandchris
2004 WJ 

Front end shimmy

My 04 wj is giving me the shimmy shake in the front end when I hit the brakes between 65 and 45 mph. Above or below that it brakes smooth. My initial thought was track bar but that was replaced at 75k miles. The. I thought rotors were warped. I had them warp on me before but the first time it happened I got a lot of freed back from the brake pedal. This time getting more steering wheel shake than kick back from the pedal. Current mileage is 144k. My gut says rotors but I was looking for some input before I go tearing my DD apart.

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland, Midnight Blue Pearl.
Rusty's 2" Budget boost, It Goes fast
Project "Shamrock": 96 Cherokee country, black, I6 HO, ZJ 242, 4.5 Rustys, 33" Mud terrains
My build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/96-xj-shamrock-build-1250478/[/url]
overlandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
kethers
2004 WJ 

I would have your rotors spun. Cost me about $40 bucks to have mine done. Also look at your tie rod ends and see if they have any play in them.
kethers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
jetrinka
2002 WJ 

Warped rotors.
jetrinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 01:43 AM   #4
JPugh
2004 WJ 

Shaking the wheel when you apply the brakes?

It's the brakes.

John
JPugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.