Front end noise, axel Seal, CV Joint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front end noise, axel Seal, CV Joint

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

Wj Front end noise, axel Seal, CV Joint

I'm rather new to Jeeps. Questions, can a leaking axle seal make a CV Joint go bad? (I'm guessing that is a CV joint int he photos.) Recently I started hearing a grinding sound from the front right of my WJ. I looked around the front and noticed what appears to be my front right axle seal is leaking? (See Photos) Is that correct? I checked for a bad wheel bearing. I jacked up the right front and tried checked for any top/bottom movement or wobble. It felt solid. I do not know how to check for other failed components.

I typically do most of my own mechanical work on my motorcycle. I need some instruction on how to do the work on my Jeep.

I need to know how to determine what exactly is wrong.
Then how to fix.

I typically don't like paying dealers. I do have a garage and tools. It's just been a long time since I've worked on anything but a motorcycle and I've never done CV joints or these newer wheel bearing hub assemblies.

Thank you for any help.

img_0336.jpg   img_0339.jpg   img_0340.jpg  
wilgeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yup, that's a CV joint, and yes that's an axle seal leak. No, the axle seal leak won't destroy the CV joint, although it will soften the boot and allow more grit to stick to the boot and wear it down. Eventually it will split.

But, a bad CV joint doesn't make a grinding sound. Sounds more like a wheel bearing issue. To be honest, the old "grab it and wiggle" trick doesn't hold much value anymore - these things can be destroyed and the hub still feels solid.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Yup, that's a CV joint, and yes that's an axle seal leak. No, the axle seal leak won't destroy the CV joint, although it will soften the boot and allow more grit to stick to the boot and wear it down. Eventually it will split.

But, a bad CV joint doesn't make a grinding sound. Sounds more like a wheel bearing issue. To be honest, the old "grab it and wiggle" trick doesn't hold much value anymore - these things can be destroyed and the hub still feels solid.
Thanks for confirming what I have there. I am watching a Youtube video on replacing the bearings.
Looks like I can do it. I have not seen anything yet for fixing the axle seal. Can anyone tell me if it's much more work and/or point me to a good instructional on replacing the axle seal? Or is this a whole axle/CV joint replacement?

and
Unread 08-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

My next question is where to buy the parts? The site that does the how to video has a replacement hub for $85/95 and the site claims its a $442 dollar savings. Is this too good to be true? http://www.1aauto.com/1A/wheel-beari...15/208635/2003

Thoughts?
Unread 08-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

1AAuto is a forum sponsor, so buying from them helps support the forum. Kolak is also a forum-sponsoring vendor that can get you the parts you need (kolak@aol.com is the email you need).

Other popular sites... www.rockauto.com is extremely popular and usually priced very well ($65 for a Raybestos which uses a National bearing, same as everyone else). The various chain stores like O'Reilly, Napa, Autozone, Advance, etc, all carry the same bearings at varying prices. Often Advance has very good pricing for online orders if you search for coupon codes.

As far as axle seal replacment, yeah it's a major pain. You have to pull the axle shaft, diff cover, and the actual differential from the housing. Google "Dana 30 axle seal" and you will get dozens of how-tos. The good news is that the part is very cheap.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

Well, It's not the wheel bearings. I took it to a local shot that I do trust. I figured they could do the axle seal far easier than me. They found the bearings to be perfectly fine. They did find the front differential to be EMPTY. Initially they thought the carrier bearing would be bad. After taking the differential apart they found everything in there to be perfectly fine. They did replace the axle seal and put everything back together. The noise is still there. Now they think it may be the transfercase. YIKES! They can get a certified good used with 90 day warranty transfercase.

Known points.
Bearings are good.
Differential is good - axle seals are new now.
My last oil change was at the Jeep dealer 300 miles ago. ALL fluids including differential were good. 300 miles later no differential oil.
The noise I was hearing that sounded like it was from the front right is still there.

Thoughts? Anyone?

So far the shop has "eaten" most of their labor costs because they didn't have a correct diagnosis at first.

Tags
axel , cv joint , front , seal , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.