Front End Noise?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front End Noise??

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 04-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Corey_Jewell
2001 WJ 

Wj Front End Noise??

This jeep is about to have me broke like no other. So i have noticed this for a while now but over the past couple of weeks the noise seems to get louder and more annoying. It sounds like a jar of change almost just being rolled around. Could it be wheel bearings?? It is on both sides of the front end. Im going to get the video up if I can. If not i will send a link to my YouTube page if you want to check it out there. Thanks for the help guys! Yall have saved me bunches of money so far!!

Unread 04-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Are you sure it's on "both sides" and not in the middle? It kind of sounds like a blown joint on the driveshaft (assuming you have a rzeppa type). Remove front driveshaft and retest!
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
Corey_Jewell
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianestep
Are you sure it's on "both sides" and not in the middle? It kind of sounds like a blown joint on the driveshaft (assuming you have a rzeppa type). Remove front driveshaft and retest!
But will it still make tht sound not in 4wd? Because I wasnt in 4wd at that time. But funny thing here, I put in 4wd the other morning on the way to work. And it sounded worse than that but more towards the TC. So you are probably right about that! Ill try it and see!
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Corey_Jewell
2001 WJ 

Could it be the axle shaft assembly? Or this part of the axle

image-3382736405.jpg
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey_Jewell View Post
But will it still make tht sound not in 4wd? Because I wasnt in 4wd at that time. But funny thing here, I put in 4wd the other morning on the way to work. And it sounded worse than that but more towards the TC. So you are probably right about that! Ill try it and see!
Yes because your driveshaft is still spinning via the wheels even when in 2wd. In 4wd it may be louder as "torque" is being applied to the driveshaft. It could be your axle shaft, but they typically make more of a clicking than a grinding sound, and while possible, it is unlikely they would blow at the same time in a normal driving situation. A major indicator (but not always) of a bad axle shaft is a torn boot, indicated by grease slung everywhere. The front shaft is only held on by a few bolts. Remove, and drive in 2wd. If the noise is gone, you found your problem.
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Corey_Jewell
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianestep

Yes because your driveshaft is still spinning via the wheels even when in 2wd. In 4wd it may be louder as "torque" is being applied to the driveshaft. It could be your axle shaft, but they typically make more of a clicking than a grinding sound, and while possible, it is unlikely they would blow at the same time in a normal driving situation. A major indicator (but not always) of a bad axle shaft is a torn boot, indicated by grease slung everywhere. The front shaft is only held on by a few bolts. Remove, and drive in 2wd. If the noise is gone, you found your problem.

Well I should've known if it was axle shaft, that's was a dumb question by me to ask cause i just replaced the rears so i wouldve known what it looked like haha! Sorry about that, plus I'm at work too and find the problem on my jeep! But I'll remove that this weekend or so and ill see what the deal is. Thanks @brianestep!
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Well I should've known if it was axle shaft, that's was a dumb question by me to ask cause i just replaced the rears so i wouldve known what it looked like haha! Sorry about that, plus I'm at work too and find the problem on my jeep! But I'll remove that this weekend or so and ill see what the deal is. Thanks @brianestep!
Yea no problem... although don't feel dumb, the boot doesn't always blow out so it would be tough to tell externally (visually). The driveshaft boot can do the same thing too... or not.
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Kinda read over your last post...the rear shafts dont have boots... So they look different...
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Corey_Jewell
2001 WJ 

Yeah yeah you're right! Haha I meant that it had the axle grease all over the rear of the rotors and stuff when the rear seals and bearings went out bout a month or so ago. Long day at work today!
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
SierraRipper
2000 WJ 

Lift front end, spin the wheel, if you hear noise coming from the driveshaft, its the joints. I literally just now finished replacing mine, noise is gone. $180 for a cv joint and a 6 pack :P
SierraRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
Corey_Jewell
2001 WJ 

Sooo after work this mornin and class tonight, I have found my problem. Yes, it was the front DS. and now, no more jar of change sound. the pictures should show the drive shaft and the front part of the axle where it went in, and the rear part into the transfer case. Can anyone tell me the type of driveshaft that is maybe?? and the best place for either a new one or the joints for it?? Thanks @brianestep
img_3762.jpg   img_6042.jpg   img_8478.jpg  
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
SierraRipper
2000 WJ 

Cv joints, are either of the boots torn at all? That was the one i replaced today, i didnt have $ for a new driveshaft so i just replaced the joint :s

forumrunner_20130424_212333.jpg
SierraRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
brianestep
2000 WJ 

No problem friend!

That's a rezeppa-rezeppa driveshaft. If you are planning on lifting at all (according to your profile, a possibility, eh?) then check this out:

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

You don't have to buy from Tom Wood's, there are a few quality driveshaft makers, it just explains what you may want (There are also WJs that came with the cardan-style shaft, as well as other source vehicles). You can repair the cv joints, but at about $100 a piece, you'd almost be better off getting a new cardan-style shaft, and assuming you don't need 4wd for awhile, can drive without it to save up the cashmonies. You will need yokes on the t-case and differential.
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
Corey_Jewell
2001 WJ 

@SierraRipper the axle shaft boots were fine and so was the boot on the axle side of the drive shaft. just a little dirty but no grease at all anywhere Now the TC side of the driveshaft had alloott of play in it and i think it was alot more than it should. Im not familiar with DS but i can tell I have no vibration or that sound anymore once I removed it. Was it hard to replace the joints in yours? I may fix it up my self, that gives me somethin to tinker with. It was easy gettin out thats for sure! Luckily nothin was rusted up in there and the bolts were pretty easy to loosen up (not bad for a jeep with 204,xxx, give or take)

@brianestep yeah lifting it is my plan once I get the money. My friend had a zj with a 4" Rough Country lift and I loved the way it rode. But I got to wait between finishin up this semester and next semester of college (thank goodness! almost over with!) and to decide if I want to take my coal mining class again to get on here at a local mine or go back to welding. But i wouldnt mind upgrading the DS either in the future once i lift it. 2wd is fine with me for a while. Since i spent $700 in fixing the rear end in it a month or so ago, from the last couple of mud and wheelin adventures, I have taken it easy
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:

@brianestep yeah lifting it is my plan once I get the money. My friend had a zj with a 4" Rough Country lift and I loved the way it rode. But I got to wait between finishin up this semester and next semester of college (thank goodness! almost over with!) and to decide if I want to take my coal mining class again to get on here at a local mine or go back to welding. But i wouldnt mind upgrading the DS either in the future once i lift it. 2wd is fine with me for a while. Since i spent $700 in fixing the rear end in it a month or so ago, from the last couple of mud and wheelin adventures, I have taken it easy
Right on! I graduate this semester myself. You don't go to Louisville do you?? Better not... If it all possible, upgrade the driveshaft now (or when affordable) rather than fixing your current driveshaft and then having to replace it again in a year or less. The cost difference will probably be negligible... I try and only replace parts with non-upgrades if I have a feeling that someone will want to buy (or hell, even use) the part eventually. Nobody will want your driveshaft and you will have pooped the money and effort into fixing it away.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.