Front driveshaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front driveshaft

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 01-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
outbackmatt

Double Cardan - Rezeppa Front Driveshaft Failure

After I installed a 3" lift, my double cardan - rezeppa front drive shaft started squealing bad. Its annoying on road and keeps getting worse. I read about them online and just want to make sure I get the right parts to convert to a better driveshaft. I have the nv242. Many thanks.

outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
outbackmatt

Is it correct to assume a loud squeaky drive shaft is a sign of it going bad? The 4wd still works and the boot on the rezeppa joint is fully intact. Also I'm confused if I have the desirable front ds or not because I read how bad rezeppas are when the jeep is lifted. Then I read this from another web site saying the style I have does not need to be changed. So which is it and why and how do you make the ds stop squeaking?

Quote:
The WJ Grand Cherokee comes with several different style driveshafts, some come with a standard CV at the transfer case and a U-joint at the axle, this is good and if that’s what you have, you don’t have to change anything. Others come with a CV at the transfer case and a Rezeppa type joint at the axle. If your front driveshaft is this style and you are lifting it, you will need to purchase our WJ Driveshaft Conversion part # RD-DS01-WJ. There are some WJ’s with a Rezeppa at both ends of the driveshaft, if your vehicle has this style you will need to buy the Rusty’s Driveshaft Conversion as well as the optional transfer case yoke. All these driveshaft conversions and parts can be found on Rusty’s Driveline Page.
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
outbackmatt

I have the one pictured second.

Unread 01-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
Ffrh911

Hmmm i thought the double cardan was the good one?
Ffrh911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
outbackmatt

Yeah I did too. Now I'm just confused about which to get and if I need different yolks for converting to a new ds.
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
whosyadadie02

the convential dbl cardan is the best to get the repezza will will bind and go bad after a while. the boot will rip one day and itll just be a mess
whosyadadie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
outbackmatt

Ok is the best cheap option to find one out of a junkyard? What else do I need for the conventional double cardan to bolt right in place of my old drive shaft?
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
outbackmatt

Does anybody know how you put a conventional double cardan in place of a double cardan - rezeppa?

Will mounting to the differential be the same and wont the transfer case need an adapter? With all the horror stories Ive read about rezeppa ds, surely someone knows how to convert them.
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
GrandPrix104
1999 WJ 

Any drive line shop will be able to do it for you. You may be able to buy the one you want from them and give them your old one as a core to ssave money. In Utah and several western states there is a company called Six-States that will do this for you. I bought the double cardan/u-joint shaft pictured #3 from them and replaced my repezza-repezza I had before. Also RockAuto.com has the parts to rebuild your repezza joints for approx $200 IIRC. As was already mentioned the repezza is a bad choice for offroading cause if it rips the boot you are screwed.
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
whosyadadie02

just go to a jy and get one from a 93-95 zj v8 ... itll fit and then just get the axle side yoke and ur set
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
outbackmatt

The good news is tonight when I pulled my squeaky front drive shaft out I realized it is actually the conventional double cardan. So my wj was lucky and given the good ds. The bad news is it is very squeaky and you cant move the U joints by hand with it off. They are stuck/hard to turn. Do shops rebuild these with new u joints?
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #12
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Swapping u-joints is simple.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 03:20 AM   #13
wjtank21
1999 WJ 

3rd one I made for mine
wjtank21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
whosyadadie02

just go to the auto parts store and buy some new ones and swap them in its easy
Unread 01-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
outbackmatt

Got a write up for a novice for how to remove the u joints? I assume its like any other drive shaft.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.